Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
    Getting a few New Glarus sours in a trade in a few weeks. Pretty excited to try Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red.
    The Belgian Red is awesome.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There's been a death...

They killed my bottle of Angostura 7 which was almost full.

No biggie as it's for mixing and is what I count as amongst my "rail" rums. My "rail" is pretty ****ing high end.

I'll get another bottle when I kill an equivalent.

Had a few rum and tequila affectionados over amongst our party guests and we dove into my collection along with a couple of tequilas that a guest brought over. Was fun to have people over that not only wanted to try some of my top shelf selections, but could recognize their quality.

Yeah, I'm ****ed up now.

The bar took a serious hit tonight, but that's why I have it. Great night!

Also killed tonight were 5 bottles of wine, a bottle of Jack, a bottle of Captain (I tried, but some people can't be reached) and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire - some serious gin & tonic people over.
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-14-2015, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Sipping on some Plantation XO 20th Anniversary as a reward for cleaning up before bed.

Comment

So I bought my first ever bottle of cognac yesterday and gave it a good try last night.

Pierre Ferrand Ambre - considered a great entry level cognac and rated very highly. Many reviews say it would be a steal at twice the price - I bought mine for $46.

Meh. It was smooth and certainly complex. Almost no burn.

I've never really had brandy before, so maybe I wasn't ready for what it tasted like. It was hard to ignore the taste of fermented grapes which was always there in the background.

I don't mean to say that I didn't like it, but it wasn't a revelation either. I'm not left thinking that I had been missing out all this time and I'm also not overly motivated to seek out and try other cognacs.

I'll give it another try at a later date.

I did decide to try my Korbel VSOP afterwards to see if our brandy (USA) is similar. It clearly was at least in taste profile - meaning I could tell both were the same type of spirit.

Comment

Moved onto my Appleton 12 and then onto my Russel's Reserve 6 Rye.

Was totally ****ing with my taste buds last night.

All this while spending a couple of hours on the guitar. It's funny that the songs played over that time changed with the liquor type. Started with Airborne Toxic Event, Third Eye Blind (God of Wine - GREAT song) etc, moved to Stick Figure, Grateful Dead, Waterboys etc. and was doing Townes Van Zandt and Tom Waits by the time I got to the Rye.
            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

From the previous thread...

"7 Fathoms Cayman Rum

Here's a write up...

"Made by man and matured by nature, Seven Fathoms Rum is the first and only spirit made entirely in the Cayman Islands. Handcrafted in small batches by master distillers Nelson Dilbert and Walker Romanica in their Georgetown, Grand Cayman distillery, Seven Fathoms Rum is aged underwater at a depth of forty-two feet, or seven fathoms.

Using only locally grown, organic sugarcane, Dilbert and Romanica distill Seven Fathoms Rum in a Christian Carl copper pot still. Once distilled, Dilbert and Romanica pour the rum into used oak bourbon barrels to age. Instead of simply leaving the barrels to age on dry land though, Dilbert and Romanica cache the barrels in a secret location off the shore of Grand Cayman.

While it's no secret that shipping wine and spirits on boats has traditionally produced higher quality drinks, Dilbert and Romanica realized that they could replicate these oceanic trips by simply allowing the tides and waves to push and pull on their barrels. The gentle motion of the waves and the alternating pressure of the water during the rising and ebbing tides helps push Seven Fathoms Rum deep into the pores of the oak barrels, extracting all of the rich oak and bourbon flavors from the wood, which, in turn, creates a complex rum with extraordinary depth of character and flavor."

Wanted to try this because of the story/process and the fact that it's highly rated and has won awards. Wouldn't spend that kind of money on a novelty small batch rum without the ratings and awards.

Also have a special affinity for the Caymans as I honeymooned there."

I never did get back to the thread on this one.

At $60, it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a spirit - and that's saying something.

It's thin with almost no complexity and it's not even good with Coke. It's similar to other micro-distillery rums that I've tried... in a word... lacking. You just can't disguise a lack of aging and that's where the micro-distilleries fail in terms of rum from the ones I've tasted.

I dumped my bottle the other day. It doesn't deserve a spot on my shelf... or even in the back room amongst the overstock.

I'll leave my top shelf rums (Plantation 25, Dictador 20, El Dorado 12, etc.) out of this... heck, I'll even leave my premium mixers (Angostura 7, Cruzan Single Barrel, Plantation 5, etc.) out of this, but even Cruzan Gold (which I only use in blended drinks and goes for about $12) is far, FAR superior.

Comment

I saw Black Rocks beer out of Marquette in a local meijer recently and purchased the 51K IPA. I'm not a big fan of IPAs (wife is). Anybody know much about the rest of their brews and have a favorable recommend? Curious about the Coconut Brown.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Finally was able to try some Heady Topper last night (along with some Sip of Sunshine too). SoS is a great version of a West Coast IPA and I enjoyed it a lot. Heady Topper was a rare beer that lived up to the hype. I loved how it finished so dry and fruity. Not like most IIPAs out there that come across cloyingly sweet on the finish. Definitely deserves the praise it gets.
                  Old Monster Records

Comment

Water aging shows a distinct lack of understanding of how that works. Aging requires a barrel to breathe. Plus you have salt water leaching all of the wood compounds instead of allowing the water and alcohol from pulling them in.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                      Finally was able to try some Heady Topper last night (along with some Sip of Sunshine too). SoS is a great version of a West Coast IPA and I enjoyed it a lot. Heady Topper was a rare beer that lived up to the hype. I loved how it finished so dry and fruity. Not like most IIPAs out there that come across cloyingly sweet on the finish. Definitely deserves the praise it gets.
                      Where did you find the Heady Topper? Beer trade?
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Stopped by my store to see if anything new came in, and got lucky. Bought the last bottle of Founder's Blushing Monk, a Belgian fermented with raspberries. The summary on Beer Advocate has me drooling in anticipation:

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Where did you find the Heady Topper? Beer trade?
                          Yup. Traded 2 San Diego IPAs for 2 cans each of Topper and SoS. Well worth it.
                          Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Stopped by my store to see if anything new came in, and got lucky. Bought the last bottle of Founder's Blushing Monk, a Belgian fermented with raspberries. The summary on Beer Advocate has me drooling in anticipation:
                            That sounds awesome. Something to look for next week!
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              That sounds awesome. Something to look for next week!
                              Found a second bottle yesterday, so tried it. It's not that different from Rubaeus at all.....except that it's 9.2% ABV. That'll get you in trouble.

Also tried the Old Rasputin Barrel Aged, and that was VERY tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Stopped by my store to see if anything new came in, and got lucky. Bought the last bottle of Founder's Blushing Monk, a Belgian fermented with raspberries.
                                must find.

Comment

Working...
                                X