Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    If you're a team above them in the standings, you best take them seriously, knowing they have the capability to beat you.
    But if you're the underdog trying to knock them off, you have good reason to be optimistic.
    North Dakota has not beaten any team above them in the Pairwise or any team with a winning record. Best win was over #19 Bemidji.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 13th
      Ohio State 2
      Bemidji State 1

Head Start on 2017

Immediately after the holidays, the Buckeyes had a fun, impressive weekend in State College, PA, posting 5-0 & 6-0 wins. For the Beavers, it was the final open weekend of a long break. The head start appeared to pay dividends for the home team. During a strong first period, OSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead. Obviously BSU gained traction as the game went on, but they were never able to pull even.

At the same time, we heard Ice Rink Echos of 2016; I'm thinking of the North Dakota series in particular. Julianna Iafallo & Maddy Field again combined for a tally; this time Julianna pulled the trigger. Rebecca Freiburger scored another huge goal from the slot. And then there's the obvious: Kassidy Sauve's dynamic, steadying presence in the nets.

Here's to hoping the Buckeyes continue to make new strides in 2017. But it's OK if the "old" accomplishments of 2016 are occasionally "brought to mind."

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: (tie) Lauren Miller, Bemidji State; Emily Bergland, Bemidji State; and Haley Mack, Bemidji State
      Very impressive night in the face-off circle for the top Bemidji Centers. Lauren won 15 of 24 tries. Emily took 11 of 15; Haley was 15 of 24. Nice numbers. Last night there were a total of 74 face-offs. It's reasonable to expect that there will be lots of draws in the Saturday rematch as well. The Buckeyes would be well advised to address this issue. But looking back to Friday evening, all you can do is tip your hat to the skill shown by the Beaver Centers.

#3 Star: Emma Terres, Bemidji State
      Terres was the only Bemidji player to solve Sauve on this night. Emma's well placed drive from the right wing boards appeared to catch Kassidy off-guard. It actually was pretty amazing that Emma was able to nail the upper left hand corner of the net from that angle. It should be noted that Lauren Miller grabbed possession of the puck down low along the boards, and immediately fed Terres. From there, quick release and deadly accuracy = goal.

#2 Star: (tie) Jessica Dunne, Ohio State; and Rebecca Freiburger, Ohio State
      Great to see the Buckeye Power Play bag the GWG. Lauren Boyle got the 2nd assist with a crisp pass from the right point, to the top of the left wing circle. Jessica's howitzer blast on net was somehow saved Brittni Mowat. But Rebecca pounced on the juicy rebound and steered it home before the Bemidji keeper had any chance to react.

#1 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
      After the fine first period, the Buckeyes circled the wagons for most of the remaining 40 minutes. Kassidy took charge in satisfyingly familiar way. Though technically only a sophomore, she carries herself with a lot of moxie. Call it much needed veteran leadership. As for the particulars of Friday's game, I wouldn't necessarily say that any one save stood out above the others. We simply needed all 44 saves, and Sauve calmly made them. Thank you, Kassidy!

Up Next: The Rematch With Bemidji. Saturday's Face-Off is at 3:07PM. The expected overnight ice storm didn't materialize here in Columbus. The ice remains inside the boards, where it belongs. So, no excuses. Game on; be there!
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 14th
        Bemidji State 3
        Ohio State 1

Same Script, Opposite Result

This time it was the Beavers' turn to jump out to a 2-0 lead. As per this weekend's formula, the Buckeyes cut the lead in half with a last minute goal, but could not find a way to pull even. Call the insurance goal midway through the 3rd Period a little bit of helpful editing for the Visitors.

With Saturday's result, the teams split the season series at two games apiece.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: Dani Sadek, Ohio State
        Given the stingy defenses, creative offense was in short supply this weekend. But a series of crisp, short passes resulted in a nifty scoring play for the Buckeyes. Dani finished the job, with the last two passes coming Maddy Field & Rebecca Freiburger. Sadek showed good mobility and range all game long; nice to see that effort get rewarded.

#2 Star: Haley Mack, Bemidji State
        It got a little scrappy in the slots on Saturday, as each team tried to disrupt the stellar goaltender they were facing. The whole Bemidji team certainly brought a steely determination to the Ice Rink. Leave it to the smallest player on the roster to come up with a rebound goal. But we recognize more than just her scoring play; Haley never backed down all game long.

#1 Star: Alexis Joyce, Bemidji State
        It's appropriate to give a member of the BSU 'D' Corps top honors, and #22 certainly turned in a complete game. Fearless shot blocking. Productive Shooting. A settling influence in her own end. A clever playmaker on the attack. And in perhaps the game's decisive moment, Joyce launched a majestic stretch pass, creating the opportunity for Lauren Miller's breakaway goal. Well done, Alexis.

Up Next: Road Trips to Minneapolis & Duluth.
        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

The Minnesota State-Mankato vs. St. Cloud State game is being televised live right now on Fox Sports North. The Huskies take a 1-0 lead into the second period, which is about to get underway.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The second period ended 2-0 SCSU, but the Mavericks score early in the 3rd to make it 2-1.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• I think it's already a no-brainer as to who is the WCHA coach-of-the-year. What a quick turnaround. I don't recall seeing this quick of a turnaround under a new coach in recent years.

Comment

Does anyone know what Greg Shepard actually does? I ask, because ensuring that WCHA games are properly officiated is clearly not one of his assigned duties. The linesmen at Ridder tonight blew about a half dozen offsides calls, and Paskey and Bauer seem to believe that a lack of loving kindness is one of the world's great problems, based upon the way that they approved of players hugging each other in the course of play.

Comment

I apologize in advance for not knowing but what coach are you referring to?

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  I think it's already a no-brainer as to who is the WCHA coach-of-the-year. What a quick turnaround. I don't recall seeing this quick of a turnaround under a new coach in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                    I apologize in advance for not knowing but what coach are you referring to?
                    Crowell at Duluth. They are the real deal this year and she certainly deserves the award. Muzerall at some Ohio State has performed a minor miracle given what she walked in to but Crowell is #1

Comment

Where to post? Here, I guess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/s...dayspaper&_r=0

Comment

Checking out the stats I noticed that, not including UND, the WCHA collectively are the bottom dwellers in the penalty minutes category...which is a good thing. They occupy 7 of the 9 lowest rungs on that ladder. Notwithstanding the fact that St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac occupy the other two, this would appear to be a potential advantage for any WCHA team(s) advancing to the NCAA Quarter Finals vs other Eastern teams.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2016-2017/

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          Checking out the stats I noticed that, not including UND, the WCHA collectively are the bottom dwellers in the penalty minutes category...which is a good thing. They occupy 7 of the 9 lowest rungs on that ladder. Notwithstanding the fact that St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac occupy the other two, this would appear to be a potential advantage for any WCHA team(s) advancing to the NCAA Quarter Finals vs other Eastern teams.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2016-2017/
                          More likely, it means that WCHA refs just aren't calling anything and that this advantage will disappear either as eastern teams aren't called for anything (if there's a WCHA crew) or as WCHA teams are called more tightly (if there's an eastern crew).

Comment

that's what I was worried about last year, but according to some, refs out east let a lot of things go too
                            the refs seem bound and determined to turn women's hockey into men's hockey

Comment

Best To Worst WCHA Hot Chocolate Venues

1. St Cloud

20 oz cup of delicious hot (and it actually was hot) chocolate for $2.50. The only glitch might be that it comes in a Armada coffee cup so there may be a truth in advertising problem. Not sure what the "A Worldly Flavor" message on the cup means either, but I don't care because it's simply the best in the WCHA.

2. Ohio State

I was going to put North Dakota 2nd, but my wife said "Don't you remember how good you said the hot chocolate was when we were in Columbus last year, you even had two cups the first game?" Okay, so I'll take her word for it. I do remember the tailgaters outside the arena before the football game were extremely nice to us and we did win the two games by a total score of 18 to 4. So it all adds up to a solid 2nd place finish in my memory of Ohio State's hot chocolate.

3. North Dakota

The hot chocolate in "The Ralph" was excellent. The first time we went there we arrived well before the start of the game and sat down in these unbelievably nice seats . With my hot chocolate in hand I looked to my right and there sitting with a carton of popcorn in hand was Coach Frost. "Hi coach," I said. "Hi, super fans," he said. He left and a short time later in the same area a young male student sat down with his large "TRAITOR TWINS" sign in hand. The twins both scored and the Gophers won 4-0 so that made the hot chocolate taste even better.

4. Wisconsin

First and only time we've been to LaBahn was in 2013. The arena was sparse with a lonely Badger Bob quote on the wall, but the hot chocolate was very good and we did win both games, of course, this was 2013 after all.

5. Bemidji

We enjoyed the arena, we enjoyed the town and I enjoyed the hot chocolate.

6. Minnesota State

It's been several years since we've been there, but the arena was less than mediocre and so was the hot chocolate as I recall.

7. Minnesota

Where to begin? Okay, the hot chocolate is not bad. It's not exactly hot either. It's the cup that's the issue. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies as a 10-year-old, the hot chocolate at Ridder Arena over the past 14 seasons is a case of The Incredible Shrinking Cup. The 8 oz "eco-friendly" cup is just plain weird. It is covered with strange little sayings that are partially obscured by a map of the world. Such as; "I compost therefore I am. Green is the new pink. Eco groovy is more than a state of mind...girls dig it. Say no to foam." Well, you get the idea.

8. Minnesota Duluth

Their team has gotten a lot better lately, but their hot chocolate has gotten a lot worse. I would still feel that way even if the Gophers had won those two games. It was a not very good tasting, syrupy, lukewarm chocolate drink. After the first game I thought maybe it just tasted that way because it was from the bottom of the dispenser. So I had a second cup the next day. Never again.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-30-2017, 05:06 PM. Reason: Spacing
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                Best To Worst WCHA Hot Chocolate Venues

1. St Cloud

20 oz cup of delicious hot (and it actually was hot) chocolate for $2.50. The only glitch might be that it comes in a Armada coffee cup so there may be a truth in advertising problem. Not sure what the "A Worldly Flavor" message on the cup means either, but I don't care because it's simply the best in the WCHA.

2. Ohio State

I was going to put North Dakota 2nd, but my wife said "Don't you remember how good you said the hot chocolate was when we were in Columbus last year, you even had two cups the first game?" Okay, so I'll take her word for it. I do remember the tailgaters outside the arena before the football game were extremely nice to us and we did win the two games by a total score of 18 to 4. So it all adds up to a solid 2nd place finish in my memory of Ohio State's hot chocolate.

3. North Dakota

The hot chocolate in "The Ralph" was excellent. The first time we went there we arrived well before the start of the game and sat down in these unbelievably nice seats . With my hot chocolate in hand I looked to my right and there sitting with a carton of popcorn in hand was Coach Frost. "Hi coach," I said. "Hi, super fans," he said. He left and a short time later in the same area a young male student sat down with his large "TRAITOR TWINS" sign in hand. The twins both scored and the Gophers won 4-0 so that made the hot chocolate taste even better.

4. Wisconsin

First and only time we've been to LaBahn was in 2013. The arena was sparse with a lonely Badger Bob quote on the wall, but the hot chocolate was very good and we did win both games, of course, this was 2013 after all.

5. Bemidji

We enjoyed the arena, we enjoyed the town and I enjoyed the hot chocolate.

6. Minnesota State

It's been several years since we've been there, but the arena was less than mediocre and so was the hot chocolate as I recall.

7. Minnesota

Where to begin? Okay, the hot chocolate is not bad. It's not exactly hot either. It's the cup that's the issue. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies as a 10-year-old, the hot chocolate at Ridder Arena over the past 14 seasons is a case of The Incredible Shrinking Cup. The 8 oz "eco-friendly" cup is just plain weird. It is covered with strange little sayings that are partially obscured by a map of the world. Such as; "I compost therefore I am. Green is the new pink. Eco groovy is more than a state of mind...girls dig it. Say no to foam." Well, you get the idea.

8. Minnesota Duluth

Their team has gotten a lot better lately, but their hot chocolate has gotten a lot worse. I would still feel that way even if the Gophers had won those two games. It was a not very good tasting, syrupy, lukewarm chocolate drink. After the first game I thought maybe it just tasted that way because it was from the bottom of the dispenser. So I had a second cup the next day. Never again.
                                lmao
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X