X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Can't imagine that he would not attend; at the banquet the HC sits at the head table with his Seniors and listens as each one gives his goodbye speech. The event's focus is entirely on them; videos of each player, awards, and the naming of the Captain (s) for the coming season. Most likely there will be references to his leaving, and, he has given a short speech about the season in the ones that I have attended. The night is supposed to be about the outgoing Seniors, I'd be surprised if a lot of time is spent otherwise...?
    I'm not disputing how things have gone in past banquets - you would know, I wouldn't - but I think you would have to agree this time, it would be different. The circumstances being what they are, you're going to have an enormous "elephant in the room" sitting right there at the front table ... and while in past seasons, he was always going to be back next year, this time he's not. It just seems like it could be incredibly awkward. Everyone can have the best of intentions, and I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It is what it is ... isn't it?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I'm not disputing how things have gone in past banquets - you would know, I wouldn't - but I think you would have to agree this time, it would be different. The circumstances being what they are, you're going to have an enormous "elephant in the room" sitting right there at the front table ... and while in past seasons, he was always going to be back next year, this time he's not. It just seems like it could be incredibly awkward. Everyone can have the best of intentions, and I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It is what it is ... isn't it?
      Maybe he can schedule a family commitment for that evening?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Yeah I didn't think you were disputing anything, just giving the basic run down of how a banquet normally goes and why the HC (current; he IS HC contractulally until July 1 so I was told but that's besides the point) would be attending. Sure, it's different. At the same time, I would bet that the people who attend that banquet do not view him as the 'elephant in the room', at least, most prob don't but I'm not privvy to all of their own opinions. If anything, it's just the opposite.

Most that attend (that I know anyway) are fiercly loyal to him, and they would certainly expect him to be there doing what he normally has done. I'm sure tho, that yeah, this season it's different atmosphere; but somehow, just not thinking it's going to be 'odd' that the outgoing coach is there, doing what he normally has done in the past. His outgoing message would be different as there's no 'next year' as you brought up. Maybe bittersweet for some/many (?) attendees that I can say for a certainty. I'm hoping the Seniors get the usual spotlight! If I'm missing your point I apologize in advance.

Anyway just my opinion and really I shouldn't speak for anyone; just observations of banquets past. What I'm most curious about is how the season will be addressed, if at all...because normally it comes up one way or the other. To me, that's the 'elephant' in the room and I really don't expect much commentary about it, if you want my honest opinion...
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Yeah I didn't think you were disputing anything, just giving the basic run down of how a banquet normally goes and why the HC (current; he IS HC contractulally until July 1 so I was told but that's besides the point) would be attending. Sure, it's different. At the same time, I would bet that the people who attend that banquet do not view him as the 'elephant in the room', at least, most prob don't but I'm not privvy to all of their own opinions. If anything, it's just the opposite.

Most that attend (that I know anyway) are fiercly loyal to him, and they would certainly expect him to be there doing what he normally has done. I'm sure tho, that yeah, this season it's different atmosphere; but somehow, just not thinking it's going to be 'odd' that the outgoing coach is there, doing what he normally has done in the past. His outgoing message would be different as there's no 'next year' as you brought up. Maybe bittersweet for some/many (?) attendees that I can say for a certainty. I'm hoping the Seniors get the usual spotlight! If I'm missing your point I apologize in advance.

Anyway just my opinion and really I shouldn't speak for anyone; just observations of banquets past. What I'm most curious about is how the season will be addressed, if at all...because normally it comes up one way or the other. To me, that's the 'elephant' in the room and I really don't expect much commentary about it, if you want my honest opinion...
          Totally agree with this take.

I've only been to a couple, but it is a pretty intimate setting. I know they call it a banquet, but its more like a gathering of friends and family. Honestly, I don't see any "elephant in the room" in this setting. FWIW, it used to be called the "breakup banquet" Its the last event of the season, and although they announce next year's captains (which I disagree with) its more about wrapping up the campaign that just ended than looking ahead. The head coach was part of that season. He should be there.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Not that anyone asked (or cares), but this how I would do it if I were Coach Umile ...

I'd show up an hour early, have a nice long pleasant chat with the coaching staff and other support staff, and make sure I was there to greet each and every guest as they arrived. Then after everyone sits down and enjoys their meal, arrange to be the first person called up to speak, which will be the first of your two standing ovations for the evening. Say everything to everybody that you need to say things to, then graciously call up Coach Souza and Coach Stewart to the dais (or whatever), give them your complete blessing for the future, thank your guests one final time, and turn the rest of the ceremonies over to your successor(s) and leave the room to your second (and final) standing ovation. Then take your family down to The Rosa for drinks and desserts afterwards. Classy exit for a guy who (if nothing else) was class personified over the last 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Totally agree with this take.

I've only been to a couple, but it is a pretty intimate setting. I know they call it a banquet, but its more like a gathering of friends and family. Honestly, I don't see any "elephant in the room" in this setting. FWIW, it used to be called the "breakup banquet" Its the last event of the season, and although they announce next year's captains (which I disagree with) its more about wrapping up the campaign that just ended than looking ahead. The head coach was part of that season. He should be there.
              In agreement with both you and HR on this - no elephant in the room! Gesturally it might be nice to have DU say a few words and pass it over to MS, but either way is appropriate. No matter what we think and feel, trust me, there will be no one in that room who was happy with this year and the final outcome.
              Perhaps the pain and regret will translate into something positive. It certainly could serve as a very strong platform from which MS can speak. Unproven is his reality but in my 25 years of watching UNH hockey, MS was as intense a player as I ever saw. A real "in your face" kinda guy. Hard to believe that some of this won't translate into better things.

Comment

As I thought there was a presser given today by Coach Umile. If you are on twitter you can watch it on the unhmhockey feed. He had alot of emotions recounting the past and was sorry things didn't go better for his team in the second half. Mentioned that there was no set date that he could give for MS taking the reigns completely, but, he was already quite busy in the transition process. I imagine there will be a write up in tomrrow's papers...

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  In agreement with both you and HR on this - no elephant in the room! Gesturally it might be nice to have DU say a few words and pass it over to MS, but either way is appropriate. No matter what we think and feel, trust me, there will be no one in that room who was happy with this year and the final outcome.
                  Perhaps the pain and regret will translate into something positive. It certainly could serve as a very strong platform from which MS can speak. Unproven is his reality but in my 25 years of watching UNH hockey, MS was as intense a player as I ever saw. A real "in your face" kinda guy. Hard to believe that some of this won't translate into better things.
                  ATW I like your take on things! Surely MS has a competitive spirit; he was quite the player from what I can see and hope that can serve him as he undertakes this huge job of HC; you have to have something strong in your heart to want to do this; I don't care where you are in the scheme of things; a darn big job. Yes, something positive...that is a hopeful approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Mentioned that there was no set date that he could give for MS taking the reigns completely, but, he was already quite busy in the transition process
                    Still waiting for Mike to take the reigns? Any ETA when they think the training wheels can come off? Maybe by the fall?
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-06-2018, 03:33 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Surely you misheard this. Still waiting for Mike to take the reigns? Any ETA when they think the training wheels can come off?
                      I would have to re listen; more of a "in process and happening as we speak" kind of thing. He was asked for specifics about dates and he said he could not give specifics. I heard from more than one person July 1 is his official end date; which is typical but he himself did not offer that. More than likely this will be in the article IF there will be one? Have they officially named Souza as HC? If they have its news to me! Anyone else listen? Do correct if I'm wrong...

Comment

As I thought there was a presser given today by Coach Umile. If you are on twitter you can watch it on the unhmhockey feed. He had alot of emotions recounting the past and was sorry things didn't go better for his team in the second half. Mentioned that there was no set date that he could give for MS taking the reigns completely but, he was already quite busy in the transition process. I imagine there will be a write up in tomrrow's papers...
                        Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Still waiting for Mike to take the reigns? Any ETA when they think the training wheels can come off? Maybe by the fall?
                        Holy crap. Souza should have been "handed the reins" the second the bus got back from Orono. Seriously.

Maybe Coach Umile is holding out for the possibility of a late at-large bid to the NIT??

Listen ... I get the formalities, the obligatory capo role at the banquet, etc.

But can you please just let Souza take over? He's been waiting 3 years ...

Comment

Oh, wait ... I get it now. The Hockey East Awards Banquet is next week. Say no more ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Holy crap. Souza should have been "handed the reins" the second the bus got back from Orono. Seriously.

Maybe Coach Umile is holding out for the possibility of a late at-large bid to the NIT??

Listen ... I get the formalities, the obligatory capo role at the banquet, etc.

But can you please just let Souza take over? He's been waiting 3 years ...
                            An email I received today (as did every other UNH Athletics supporter, etc) used the term 'soon'. We all know who's running the show, right? As far as I'm concerned MS has the 'reigns' (which, Id like to clarify, was my term used, not the interview. And speaking of the interview/presser, it's not available right now on my computer), for all intents and purposes!

Other UNH news today shared via Twitter, forward Michael McNick has signed with the Indy Fuel, ECHC affiliate of the B'Hawks! Good luck McNick!!

UPDATE: I did get into the presser and he basically said that as of right now, the team is on a 2 week 'break' and that when they return, MS will be in charge. But, as far as 'officially' it wasn't something he could share/discuss. Also, 'he's already doing it' was mentioned so I think we can surmise that yes, MS is running the show, it's a transition period, and an official announcement is forthcoming. He feels very good about this and gave MS positive props. DONE
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

So Chuck you catching this Bruins v DRW game???

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                So Chuck you catching this Bruins v DRW game???
                                Dead Wings did not have an answer for the Lil' Ball of Hate.
                                Last edited by Snively65; 03-06-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X