Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    A guy i know yesterday was run head on into a bridge abutment in a FC by a guy trying to jump the start on the pace lap. He survived with only a broken leg, but the car is a write off.
    I was there. Dave Weitzenhof at Watkins Glen. It was not the bridge abutment (there are no bridge abutments at this track; they are all behind the guardrail). It was the pit entrance wall. Still a very bad spot to hit.

I was watching from the Inner Loop, so I didn't know what happened until I got back to the paddock area. I heard he was knocked out in the process, didn't know of any other injuries until now. The front end of the car was completely gone. It was one of his tried and true 1994 Citations, a 95SFZ.

And he's no spring chicken -- 72 years old and can still run with the best of them, young or old. This is his 50th year of racing!
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      I was there. Dave Weitzenhof at Watkins Glen. It was not the bridge abutment (there are no bridge abutments at this track; they are all behind the guardrail). It was the pit entrance wall. Still a very bad spot to hit.

I was watching from the Inner Loop, so I didn't know what happened until I got back to the paddock area. I heard he was knocked out in the process, didn't know of any other injuries until now. The front end of the car was completely gone. It was one of his tried and true 1994 Citations, a 95SFZ.

And he's no spring chicken -- 72 years old and can still run with the best of them, young or old. This is his 50th year of racing!
      He was hit from behind a few seconds before the green would have gone. It knocked him sideways into the wall end. there is video out there but it hasn't been released yet. The guy immediately behind him had it on film. Looks like surgery and then a 2 or 3 month rehab. No racing this season most likely,... could have been a lot worse.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

He was hit from behind a few seconds before the green would have gone. It knocked him sideways into the wall end. there is video out there but it hasn't been released yet. The guy immediately behind him had it on film. Looks like surgery and then a 2 or 3 month rehab. No racing this season most likely,... could have been a lot worse.
        The series was collecting video from all the cars after that race, and I suspect now that they "own" the video, they won't release it. (BTW, many series, even grassroots amateur series like American Endurance Racing, now have a rule that you have to have in-car video recording. And if it's not working when they want your video card, you can get penalized for it. Sure cuts down on a lot of the "he said, she said" situations.)

The end of that wall is protected by water/sand drums, but it's still something you never want to hit. I almost got driven into it by a last lap blocking *ssh*le (though we later did become friends...).

Hopefully, Weitzenhof can make a full recovery in time to participate in the 50th anniversary of Formula Ford in the U.S. at Road America in September, 2019.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          The series was collecting video from all the cars after that race, and I suspect now that they "own" the video, they won't release it. (BTW, many series, even grassroots amateur series like American Endurance Racing, now have a rule that you have to have in-car video recording. And if it's not working when they want your video card, you can get penalized for it. Sure cuts down on a lot of the "he said, she said" situations.)

The end of that wall is protected by water/sand drums, but it's still something you never want to hit. I almost got driven into it by a last lap blocking *ssh*le (though we later did become friends...).

Hopefully, Weitzenhof can make a full recovery in time to participate in the 50th anniversary of Formula Ford in the U.S. at Road America in September, 2019.
          It's gotten to the point that SCCA is virtually abandoning formula car racing. The switch to honda power in FF has been poor, fields are tiny and overall they need to make massive changes. First they should mandate treaded tires in Club Ford, no one runs slicks on their car any longer and it's a pain to change the set-up to go to a regional. Second they should find a way to reduce the number of classes. For instance FC has Pinto cars, Zetec cars and everything in between. It's a disaster. Third they need to settle on one, spec, tire. The costs of running a competitive FF for one year are approaching 100k. That's not sustainable. Get the costs down. Personally i'd be requiring treaded tires on all FF like the British do. Seems like they are doing quite well btw.
          Third SCCA is unique in that they can do a better job of enforcing the rules than the vintage guys. As it is now there is a lot of cheating, especially on the west coast.
          There is also so many venues that fields get splintered. Maybe we should have an all formula Weekend at someplace like Mid Ohio where a lot of people can get to. Then we have majors and vintage racing on the same day at the same location. I bet it would be a huge success.And it would up track time for the sedan guys.
          Or maybe we give SVRA the chance to host more events and get out of Formula racing entirely. They run a real nice event and generally it's more professionally done than SCCA does.
          Most importantly, the competition board needs to not have people on it who stand to benefit from proposed rules changes. That's insane.

Comment

It's gotten to the point that SCCA is virtually abandoning formula car racing. The switch to honda power in FF has been poor, fields are tiny and overall they need to make massive changes. First they should mandate treaded tires in Club Ford, no one runs slicks on their car any longer and it's a pain to change the set-up to go to a regional. Second they should find a way to reduce the number of classes. For instance FC has Pinto cars, Zetec cars and everything in between. It's a disaster. Third they need to settle on one, spec, tire. The costs of running a competitive FF for one year are approaching 100k. That's not sustainable. Get the costs down. Personally i'd be requiring treaded tires on all FF like the British do. Seems like they are doing quite well btw.
            Third SCCA is unique in that they can do a better job of enforcing the rules than the vintage guys. As it is now there is a lot of cheating, especially on the west coast.
            There is also so many venues that fields get splintered. Maybe we should have an all formula Weekend at someplace like Mid Ohio where a lot of people can get to. Then we have majors and vintage racing on the same day at the same location. I bet it would be a huge success.And it would up track time for the sedan guys.
            Or maybe we give SVRA the chance to host more events and get out of Formula racing entirely. They run a real nice event and generally it's more professionally done than SCCA does.
            Most importantly, the competition board needs to not have people on it who stand to benefit from proposed rules changes. That's insane.
            Have you heard of the Right Coast Formula F Series (http://www.rcffs.org/)? Simplicity seems to be their motto.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Ancient one here whose floor mates at Clarkson raced Formula Vee in the summer.

Is Formula Vee still around?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

The internet: it knoweth all.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  What goes around comes around. Ferrari used a VSC to lose a 2nd place finish.
                  Why pit there at all, and why not but on a softer faster tyre? Why didn't Ferarri qualify in Q3 on the softer tyres? They thru away a chance at pole. Ferrari's braintrust sucks.

What a stupid move by Newgarten to wipe himself out. He just should have waited until the straight then picked him off. I don't understand why the Penske drivers continually shoot themselves in the feet. Back in the day Mears, Emmo and Sullivan never made unforced errors like these guys are, especially Power.

Grosjean has totally lost his mind.

It is great to see Wickens doing so well. I like when the small teams do well, just not too well to mess up my Penske boys, but they seem to do that enough all by themselves.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Of course. :-)

But, they are running into supply issues especially with the engines. Not to mention, they are still hellbent on sticking to the old technology like drum brakes, on all four corners.

There are people, including a good friend of mine, are are leading a "revolt" to get SCCA to change their FV rules, and have instituted a regional only class called Formula First. Same chassis, disk brakes, different engine.

https://formulafirst.org/

And here's a good write up on the FV vs. FFirst history and situation and the technical specs: http://formula-first.org/Historical/...ss_release.pdf
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

About that- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxpUnoJI_dc

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I saw it. the course if you ask me, isn't very good but it is all about the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Grosjean has totally lost his mind.
                          That's putting it mildly...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Zak Brown was at the Indy GP most likely to discuss McLaren’s future in INDYCAR. It’s been mentioned Michael Andretti is their first option as a partner. But if Andretti brings up Colton Herta with Steibrenner’s team in 2019 AND teams with McLaren that's A 6-car team and doesn’t sound sustainable.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I saw it. the course if you ask me, isn't very good but it is all about the money.
                              IMHO, "isn't very good" is being way, way too nice about how bad it is. It's two really long straight over a single bridge plus two shorter straights connected by a handful of twisty bits. Terrible. Very not interesting, unless you want to see a lot of DRS being used.

Comment

I hate the concept of having different boost for qualifying and the race. Run qualifying boost all the time.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X