Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    How often does your team make the frozen four?
    25 times and counting....

Oh you were talking to Hockybuckeye, fairpoint. Oh yea, the beers in the X were what $10? It bummed me out that ohio state lost and I didn't get my beer. Did I just say that?
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

My husband texted me, "Cooper Marody to Edmonton" and I freaked out. I love that my hubby is becoming a big college hockey fan, but he has much to learn. I explained to him that his text had me thinking Cooper left, which I couldn't understand with Regionals this weekend. If we lose this weekend and he's gone, that I understand, I won't like it, but I'll understand.
      He's gone... http://mgoblue.com/news/2018/4/8/ice...on-oilers.aspx

Thanks, Cooper, for the 2.5 seasons on the ice. Good luck for your career going forward.

Comment

Also saw the good news that Tony Calderone signed with Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          He's gone... http://mgoblue.com/news/2018/4/8/ice...on-oilers.aspx

Thanks, Cooper, for the 2.5 seasons on the ice. Good luck for your career going forward.
          I had a feeling....
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Good luck to Marody and to all our seniors in their future endeavors. It's been fun watching them play.

Do we have other flight risks? Is it too early to look forward to next season?

At the beginning of the season it felt like a rebuilding year, new coach, young team, mediocre start. To see this team finish top half of the conference, get into the NCAA tourney and win a couple to make it to the Frozen Four was far more than I expected. So proud of our Wolverines.

Now, I'm hopeful looking at next season. We return a team that has played for Mel for a year now. The major contributors we lose are Calderone, Dancs, Piazza as seniors and Marody as a junior. We'll see if we lose others.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Good luck to Marody and to all our seniors in their future endeavors. It's been fun watching them play.

Do we have other flight risks? Is it too early to look forward to next season?

At the beginning of the season it felt like a rebuilding year, new coach, young team, mediocre start. To see this team finish top half of the conference, get into the NCAA tourney and win a couple to make it to the Frozen Four was far more than I expected. So proud of our Wolverines.

Now, I'm hopeful looking at next season. We return a team that has played for Mel for a year now. The major contributors we lose are Calderone, Dancs, Piazza as seniors and Marody as a junior. We'll see if we lose others.
              Cecconi has developed well as a junior.

Whoever drafts Quinn Hughes could change his destination for 2018-19, like the AHL.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                Cecconi has developed well as a junior.

Whoever drafts Quinn Hughes could change his destination for 2018-19, like the AHL.
                Cecconi really has stepped up his game, and it will be interesting to see how the Stars talk to him this summer.

More interesting is Hughes- IMHO, he's still not ready for the NHL- REALLY close, but not quite yet. The question will be if the team who drafts him tells him to stay put, or develop in their program. But his play fits right into the skill style play that the NHL is currently using, no doubt about that.

Had Lockwood played all season, I would have expected him to leave, too- but he's already announced he's staying. And had Lockwood played all season- I think Slaker and Norris would have had a much better second half, and they would be a flight risk, too. But I just don't see it in them, yet. Solid, but not there. If I were to guess next season- Lockwood and Norris go, Slaker likely. They were electric together in the beginning of the season.

Comment

More interesting is Hughes- IMHO, he's still not ready for the NHL- REALLY close, but not quite yet. The question will be if the team who drafts him tells him to stay put, or develop in their program. But his play fits right into the skill style play that the NHL is currently using, no doubt about that.
                  Take it for what it is worth but I heard months ago that the Red Wings were really high on Hughes. I also heard that if they draft him they want him in the AHL and not college. So basically Hughes is a goner...
                  Last edited by UMICH; 04-12-2018, 03:23 AM.

Comment

So our friend, Sam Piazza was named on the first team Senior CLASS http://www.seniorclassaward.com/season/hockey_2017-18/

Given his skill off the ice, he really deserved some recognition.

Comment

BTW alfa, I think that you broke the curse (at least for you- my curse still stands). You started this thread and Michigan made the Frozen Four in a "down year" (or so we thought). Rest easy, you can start next season's thread in June if you want.

Comment

Seems like the luck will move on to someone else....

One interesting thing to note for this summer- I read a year in review article in the Michigan Daily, and they mentioned that right now, there are 15 players coming in for next season. 15. That's nuts. Not sure how that will work out- but I suspect some may defer to next year, and some won't come.

Comment

Seems like the luck will move on to someone else....

One interesting thing to note for this summer- I read a year in review article in the Michigan Daily, and they mentioned that right now, there are 15 players coming in for next season. 15. That's nuts. Not sure how that will work out- but I suspect some may defer to next year, and some won't come.
                          Fifteen? I can't wrap my head around that.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

GRANOWICZ, Nicholas, OLMSTEAD, Jack, MOYLE, Nolan, VANWYHE, Garrett, LAMBERT, Jimmy; BOWES, Cassidy; SUMMERS, Jack; GINGELL, Jake; WILDE, Bode; PEHRSON, Keaton; LAPOINTE, Philippe; KIEFIUK, Calen; RANDL, Jack; SEMIK, Jacob; JOHNSON, Kenneth

That's a lot of guys. 10 from the USHL, and only one from the NTDP. There are several older guys and a few youngins. Has Michigan ever taken a 20 year-old Freshman?

notre dame has 12 for next year. Wisconsin has 11.

Comment

Yes, we have even recently had 20 year old freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              Fifteen? I can't wrap my head around that.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

GRANOWICZ, Nicholas, OLMSTEAD, Jack, MOYLE, Nolan, VANWYHE, Garrett, LAMBERT, Jimmy; BOWES, Cassidy; SUMMERS, Jack; GINGELL, Jake; WILDE, Bode; PEHRSON, Keaton; LAPOINTE, Philippe; KIEFIUK, Calen; RANDL, Jack; SEMIK, Jacob; JOHNSON, Kenneth
                              Is that Jack Johnson's little brother, Kenny Johnson, at the end of that list? I remember him as a little kid at the Grand Forks NCAA regional. If it is, will his dad show off his Blues Brothers dance for us again?
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Is that Jack Johnson's little brother, Kenny Johnson, at the end of that list? I remember him as a little kid at the Grand Forks NCAA regional. If it is, will his dad show off his Blues Brothers dance for us again?
                                Yep.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226433

No, there's no way that Jack Sr. does that again. He's the one who screwed it up in the first place and got all of the students "dancing". Besides, he's not loved in Ann Arbor anymore because of what he did to Jack Jr.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/col...o-settle-debts

Also from what I heard Jack Jr. is actually acting as Kenneth's father now. Jack Jr. is running the show making sure that his brother doesn't get screwed the same way. This is unofficial but I doubt that Ma & Pa Johnson will be at Yost for every game.

Comment

Working...
                                X