This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Did anyone listen on the radio on Saturday? I'd be curious to see what feedback people have on Mike Heller filling in on the play-by-play. I think that was maybe his 2nd PBP broadcast for the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      Did anyone listen on the radio on Saturday? I'd be curious to see what feedback people have on Mike Heller filling in on the play-by-play. I think that was maybe his 2nd PBP broadcast for the Badgers.
      I was told he was bland, but that's expected. I wonder why Robb Vogel doesn't do it when Posick is on TV, I know he does the WPT broadcasts so why not radio? Kind of strange that Heller does hockey pbp. Hockey is rarely covered on his show and he even seems to satirize the sport.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I was told he was bland, but that's expected. I wonder why Robb Vogel doesn't do it when Posick is on TV, I know he does the WPT broadcasts so why not radio? Kind of strange that Heller does hockey pbp. Hockey is rarely covered on his show and he even seems to satirize the sport.
        I have no idea why anyone would listen to Heller when he's calling a game. When you have Posick calling the game on TV, there isn't a need for the other option. I will agree that Vogel should be doing it if this comes up again.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          I have no idea why anyone would listen to Heller when he's calling a game. When you have Posick calling the game on TV, there isn't a need for the other option. I will agree that Vogel should be doing it if this comes up again.
          Agreed. No need to try and get the streams together when Posick is on TV.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

One irritating thing that I have seen this season, and I'm sure others will see it completely opposite, is that JD Greenway seems like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder and plays way more aggressively than he needs to.

This is something that I have objectively noticed while watching him play. He takes the little cheap shots right after the whistle, he talks A LOT on the ice while heading back to the bench.

This is backed up subjectively by the numbers. 23 penalties for 65 minutes, both numbers are good for top 20 in the country. The next closest on the team are Kunin and Tischke with 13 for 26.
            Greenway accounts for 16% of the penalties called and 20% of the penalty minutes.

**while looking up stats, I noticed something interesting. His brother, Jordan, is also towards the top in both categories**

Looking at this in terms of game impact, there are 3 games in which his actions outside of the play have caused us to work with a short D bench.
            1 - 4-Feb at Michigan State - 8:13 of the 2nd, Fighting Major and a game DQ after MSU scored their first goal. Thankfully MSU did not score on the power play (which was only a 3 minute since there was a matching 2 minute on MSU for roughing after the whistle), but we were still left with a short D bench for half of the game.
            2 - 10-Feb vs Penn State - DNP because of automatic 1-game suspension for fighting. PSU went on to score 6 goals. Granted, this isn't necessarily a "short bench" situation since you have the normal 6 guys suited up, but it still has an impact when you have to deal with a player being out for a game.
            3 - 18-Feb vs Michigan - 18:15 of the 2nd, Roughing (FROM THE BENCH!) and an additional 10 minute misconduct at the end of the 2nd for getting into it with an MSU player as he was coming out of the penalty box for intermission. MSU scores a game-equalizing goal while Greenway is sitting out his 10 minutes.

I don't have the time to do a full analysis of Greenway's penalties and what happens on the power plays that he gives the other team, but I would guess it isn't pretty.

I like the aggressive play, but it has to be smart aggressive play.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              You're in the car, you are out of the geographic footprint of Fox Sports WI, you are local but don't pay for a cable/satellite package to get Fox Sports WI...there are a LOT of valid reasons why you would listen to the radio broadcast, especially with how easy you can do so with the I Heart Radio app on your phone.

Comment

Heller is a hockey guy.

Most people know nothing about college hockey, so it's not going to come up much on general sports talk shows.

Comment

One irritating thing that I have seen this season, and I'm sure others will see it completely opposite, is that JD Greenway seems like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder and plays way more aggressively than he needs to.

This is something that I have objectively noticed while watching him play. He takes the little cheap shots right after the whistle, he talks A LOT on the ice while heading back to the bench.

This is backed up subjectively by the numbers. 23 penalties for 65 minutes, both numbers are good for top 20 in the country. The next closest on the team are Kunin and Tischke with 13 for 26.
                  Greenway accounts for 16% of the penalties called and 20% of the penalty minutes.

**while looking up stats, I noticed something interesting. His brother, Jordan, is also towards the top in both categories**

Looking at this in terms of game impact, there are 3 games in which his actions outside of the play have caused us to work with a short D bench.
                  1 - 4-Feb at Michigan State - 8:13 of the 2nd, Fighting Major and a game DQ after MSU scored their first goal. Thankfully MSU did not score on the power play (which was only a 3 minute since there was a matching 2 minute on MSU for roughing after the whistle), but we were still left with a short D bench for half of the game.
                  2 - 10-Feb vs Penn State - DNP because of automatic 1-game suspension for fighting. PSU went on to score 6 goals. Granted, this isn't necessarily a "short bench" situation since you have the normal 6 guys suited up, but it still has an impact when you have to deal with a player being out for a game.
                  3 - 18-Feb vs Michigan - 18:15 of the 2nd, Roughing (FROM THE BENCH!) and an additional 10 minute misconduct at the end of the 2nd for getting into it with an MSU player as he was coming out of the penalty box for intermission. MSU scores a game-equalizing goal while Greenway is sitting out his 10 minutes.

I don't have the time to do a full analysis of Greenway's penalties and what happens on the power plays that he gives the other team, but I would guess it isn't pretty.

I like the aggressive play, but it has to be smart aggressive play.
                  I like the aggressive play from JD and the chirping is fine too. Someone needs to have an edge on this team. Having said that, you can't take a fighting penalty like you're the 3rd Strobel out there, it's just foolish and shortchanges the team and in a year where the D has been leaky they need JD out there as much as possible
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

A little alumni update, was there ever a player in the league that needed a change of scenery more than Justin Schultz.

In about two months, he went from never playing in the playoffs and people doubting his ability to being a Stanley Cup champ.

This year he has 9G 30A and a plus 31. He already has a career high in assists and points with about 25 games left.

Comment

Nic Kerdiles is making his NHL debut tonight for the Ducks against Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                        Nic Kerdiles is making his NHL debut tonight for the Ducks against Boston.
                        I know Nic left a few years ago and has been in the AHL most recently due to concussion issues. He's now 23; maybe this is his break-out.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Here is some good/interesting news for you...

Looking at season attendance so far, Wisconsin is averaging 9,987. Up from last year's average of 8,849 by 12.9%

If they stay at this level for the last weekend, and if anything it should go up with a good team playing for conference tournament seeding, they will eclipse the average from the 2012-2013 season when there was an average of 9,950 paying fans.

Oh, and we are still ahead of Minnesota in attendance, they are only pulling in 9,464

Comment

Here is some good/interesting news for you...

Looking at season attendance so far, Wisconsin is averaging 9,987. Up from last year's average of 8,849 by 12.9%

If they stay at this level for the last weekend, and if anything it should go up with a good team playing for conference tournament seeding, they will eclipse the average from the 2012-2013 season when there was an average of 9,950 paying fans.

Oh, and we are still ahead of Minnesota in attendance, they are only pulling in 9,464
                            I don't want to rain on your parade too much - it's definitely awesome that attendance is starting to come back and that we're beating Minnesota (and 2nd in the country behind The North Dakota Whatever They're Called Nows) - but Mariucci seats only about 10,000, so the Rodents are at near capacity. By comparison, 10,000 people is only about 65% capacity at the Kohl. The Badgers have still got a long way to go before they're back at the raucous near capacity crowds.

Comment

Tickets at Mariucci are also way more expensive. Thought about going to a game with a friend who attends at Mini-Soda but not sure what the student ticket prices are. Mariucci standing room only for this weekend is more expensive than the lower bowl at the KC ($35 vs $24). The better seats approach $70-80 per ticket.
                              Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTheTurk View Post
                                I don't want to rain on your parade too much - it's definitely awesome that attendance is starting to come back and that we're beating Minnesota (and 2nd in the country behind The North Dakota Whatever They're Called Nows) - but Mariucci seats only about 10,000, so the Rodents are at near capacity. By comparison, 10,000 people is only about 65% capacity at the Kohl. The Badgers have still got a long way to go before they're back at the raucous near capacity crowds.
                                I guess it all depends on how you qualify it.

I was simply pointing out that attendance is higher this year than last (by a good margin), that we are ahead of Minnesota for this year (always worth the effort to throw a jab at them during Border Battle week), and that we are on pace to be ahead of another recent previous yer.

Speaking of taking a jab at Minnesota, how can the "State of Hockey" not sell out every game?!?

If you want to look at it based on capacity then we can all look up to the hockey powerhouses of Penn State and Quinnipiac who are above their capacities. Other programs that we could aspire to be like are Mercyhurst, Union, Yale, Cornell, Clarkson, Vermont, and Merrimack as they are above 90% too. [/snark]

Comment

Working...
                                X