Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Respectfully disagree with you there, Dan. Arguably better ... maybe? Munson isn't quite the second coming of Ty Conklin. Decent but not great at UVM, and clearly surplus to requirements at Denver. Any remaining flexibility in the scholarships department would be best saved for other bigger needs in the program, or just a better player (goalie or otherwise).
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with Chuck over Dan on this one. Dip into the goalie market for 2018 and get a real starter. Keep an eye on Jared Moe. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=380910
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Can't believe I'm agreeing with Chuck over Dan on this one. Dip into the goalie market for 2018 and get a real starter. Keep an eye on Jared Moe. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=380910
      Maybe Robinson will get the opportunity this season to show why he is a NHL pick and prove that he can be a starter in 2018-2019?

Nah, ain't gonna' happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Maybe Robinson will get the opportunity this season to show why he is a NHL pick and prove that he can be a starter in 2018-2019?

Nah, ain't gonna' happen.
        Stranger things have happened ?!? Nah...ain't gonna happen (sigh)
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Chuck - you don't have to believe Munson is an all-HE caliber goaltender (and I don't care to argue that he is...). But he absolutely IS better than anything on UNHs roster today and would be until Commesso's arrival.

He went .920/2.34 as a FR at UVM (both numbers right around 20th in the country - DT wasn't top-50 in either category) essentially supplanting Santiguida - who had posted a career FAR better than DTs, in his own right, to that point...

I wouldn't read too much into his situation at DU - if he plays there this year, on this team he probably puts up .925/2.20 at least. Knowing the inner workings of college sports like I do - it's easy for the cynic in me to come out, but it's hard not to see this as another situation where big athletics shows little regard for student-athletes...

As I stated, he was discussed in print, on Jul. 12 as the incumbent back-up - that would be the back-up to the 2017 national goaltender of the year not some ncaa average netminder...

Less than a week later he's out on the street? DU clearly loaded up in case Gambrell bolted for the NHL - then when he decided to return they needed scholarship dollars. If Munson wanted to leave on his own he's not waiting until July.

He's the easy choice to run off when you're returning starter is the reigning best goalie in NCAA DI and you're 18 year old FR is arguably the best incoming goalie in the country and has more eligibility. Unless they'd want to take a page out of UNHs book and defer top talent...

Just a year ago DU aggressively chased Munson and convinced him to attend. Based on timing and circumstance this is a bad look on DU, in my opinion, not Munson, who would have been very good there if they handed him the keys...

DT is an average back-up across the mid- to upper levels of DI hockey. Clark, whatever people think of him, will NEVER play meaningful minutes at UNH barring serious injury or major meltdowns ahead of him on the depth chart. Robinson was drafted and recruited on size and potential. No one would like to see him reach that potential more than I would - but he certainly hasn't so far, getting drummed out of the USHL and posting mediocre numbers in the NAHL. Lazaro isn't in the same league as a Jamie Regan/Jeff Wyer. He is a practice goalie - a Kirk Manke/Tim Collins break glass in case of emergency type. Packy Munson is clearly a better option than all four, he is at least an average starter, which UNH does not have this year. Whether they do in the near future depends on Robinsons development and who they might add in Munsons place...

An argument that UNH should go with what they have and save scholarship money for a four year goalie or better player (goalie or otherwise) is certainly fair. But I, personally, am still not sold on UNHs ability to do just that. Let alone when they're recruiting that 2018 goalie with the expectation that Robinson is entrenched as the upperclass starter for that recruits first two seasons and the top ranked 2020 in (potentially) NA is incoming during said recruits' JR and SR seasons. That's a tough sell, especially for a program that hasn't been very successful recently...

"Come to UNH and maybe compete for the job (though you should know we're not big on rotations) with a tall draft pick we're going to give EVERY opportunity to be the GUY and then with one of the absolute elite goalies in his age group who we LOVE for a team that hasn't finished in the top of its league in how long....?"

Munson is better now, and next year, and only overlaps with Commesso's FR year as a fifth-year, experienced senior. Additionally, given the late stages of the offseason - his options for a spot and for money will be limted. A scholarship may not even be necessary in 2017-18. In 2018-19 and beyond a goalie is going to get one, one way or another...

And speaking of late stages - it's awfully late in the 2018 recruiting cycle. If they find a goalie this late, better than Munson - hats off to them...
          Last edited by Dan; 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Additionally, for anyone who does make it to UNHs fan experience forums you could let them know that despite myself and my family holding season tickets to Wildcat hockey for decades - I can never remember being contacted by UNH except for when they needed more money.

Today - as just a guy that goes to a lot of games (for only a season and a half) - DU is inviting me for a sit-down / arena tour along with the comment that I'm spending TOO MUCH money going to as many single games as I do and they want to help me spend less...
            Last edited by Dan; 07-18-2017, 12:34 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

You mean Denver, not Dick Umile walking you for a tour. Thought I would clarify, even though it was obvious from the context, as Dickie doesn't do anything during the summer except cash the paychecks (or force a handpicked successor down the throat of his "boss").

Caring about the fans is just one difference. See if you can spot two more in the following two sentences:

DENVER – The University of Denver Division of Athletics and Recreation announced today that men’s head hockey coach George Gwozdecky will leave the hockey post he has held for 19 seasons. A national search will commence immediately for his replacement.
              http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports...040113aaa.html

Just for kicks, here's another quote. See if you can tell the difference between a real program and a fake program
              Appert and Lalonde have met with the search committee. Montgomery is scheduled make his on-campus interview Friday and [Greg] Brown by Saturday.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

You mean Denver, not Dick Umile walking you for a tour. Thought I would clarify, even though it was obvious from the context, as Dickie doesn't do anything during the summer except cash the paychecks (or force a handpicked successor down the throat of his "boss").
                I thought that DU also plays celebrity golf during the summer?

Comment

I thought that DU also plays celebrity golf during the summer?
                  I'm pretty sure Dan throws out the DU references (Dick Umile vs. University of Denver) to make us all work just a bit harder to understand his posts. Kind of a passive-aggressive thing, I guess? But no harm, no foul ... it's actually pretty helpful in contrasting the success of one, and the crap show the other has become for the better part of the last decade. So kudos to Dan for some creativity with that (assuming it's intentional, of course).

On the other hand, the Munson-to-UNH post was just an obligatory shot at Tirone. If UNH admissions couldn't be bothered to interrupt their summer sabbaticals to intervene for a future Hobey winner, what chance does a two-time transfer goalie have to penetrate their off-season radar?
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Many thanks to those patiently waiting for the electrical storm to pass ...

Fun with Souza, Dick & Stu - Offseason Edition - Part IX

Now five men approach Tee Nine
                    Dick and Mark walk first, arm in arm, like best buds
                    "So Mark, what is it with these steel poles on Hole Nine?"
                    "Dick, I got this idea from Puff. Let me tell you what it is"
                    "Puff? You don't mean, those poles are ... "
                    "Yup. For lights. This is his brain child"
                    "What a dumb thing to think. But it is Puff, so no big shock"
                    "He thinks UNH can host the NCAA and NHIAA golf champs now"
                    "So Mark, what do you think of all of ... this???" as Dick waves his arms
                    "I nixed the grand stand part of his plans. Now THAT was nuts"
                    "I think the whole thing is nuts. But I'll hit first now"

The ninth hole is a Par Five
                    Think of the costs saved from no stands
                    The lights bill could be huge
                    But only if they are left on
                    Dick steps up to the tee box
                    His drive is a very bad slice
                    Ping ping
                    His shot hits off one post, then to post two
                    It then stops dead in the midst of the fair way
                    Stu shakes his head and hits next
                    Grip and rip, the tee shot drifts off to the first cut
                    Mike hits last, but he is still pee oh'ed
                    He shanks his tee shot - ping
                    His shot rests not too far from Stu now

Spot drives off, with Dick and Mark in tow
                    Stu and Mike walk off on their own to their balls
                    "What a suck up move that was back on eight" hisses Mike
                    "Takes one to know one, pal" shoots back Stu
                    "But yeah, Dick did score an ace. His ball was in the hole"
                    "No way, Stu"
                    "Way, Mike. Trust me, I want to win this, more than you know"
                    "Still not happy I got the job, and not you?"
                    "You are away, Mike. Go hit your ball"

Mike steps up and plays it safe
                    Hits a good shot that stops 150 yards out in a good spot
                    Stu now moves to his ball and also plays it safe
                    His shot rolls up next to Mike's ball
                    They are both in with a clear third shot to the green
                    Barbs at each other still flow on the walk up

Dick gets out of the cart to hit his next shot
                    This time he hooks his shot - ping ping
                    The poles save him from a bad shot twice now
                    He is just 100 yards out, as he gets back to the cart
                    "Nice shot, Dick" says Mark and Spot the cart loop
                    "Mark, I think Puff may have a good plan here after all"
                    "I thought you might think that, Dick"
                    "Hey, the car park looks full now. What's up?" Dick asks
                    "We have a few guests over to check in with after nine" grins Mark

Mike and Stu hit their next shots to the fringe of the green
                    One on each side - they will need up and downs to make par
                    Dick waits, and hits a short iron right on the nose
                    Dick's ball flies past the green
                    Ping
                    Dick's ball rolls back to less than five feet from the cup
                    Both Mike and Stu shout "You can pick that up boss"

Dick goes to pick up his ball
                    Mark goes in to the back of the cart and grabs a Busch Tab
                    Mark spits it back up all at once when he tries to sip it
                    "What is this rat swill Dick has in his cart?"
                    "I have a strict don't ask, don't tell thing on that" grins Spot

Mike chips from the left fringe, and comes close to a hole out
                    Stu chips from the right fringe, and it stops a foot short
                    Will the men tell each other to pick up?
                    Not a chance. Not a chance in he11
                    Both tap in for their pars. Dick cards his bird

"So I guess Mark told you what's up, boss" smiles Mike
                    "Yes, he said we will stop for a bit at the club house now"
                    "No one tells me jack squat" moans Stu
                    "You think you should have done eight the other way now, sport?" laughs Spot
                    "Boy do we have a great guest for you, Coach" beams Mark
                    "I have a new guest here too, if his pass port checks out" beams Mike
                    Stu now feels quite left out, and his nice move on eight seems so naïve now

Dick is still filled with joy from his ace, and from his front nine now too
                    Dick is also still quite filled up with Schlitz Busch Tab
                    Dick burps first, then walks to the sand trap and pukes his guts out
                    Now he can start fresh for the back nine

The score at the turn (Par 35) stands:

*Dick -4 Souza E Stu E

Dick still has the lead
                    Dick still has honors
                    Dick waits for the big party after nine
                    Mike and Mark are
                    Stu is
                    Puff waits for the men at the club house with a crutch
                    Spot thinks he does not miss the old place all that much after all
                    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

".......all that I wanna know-oh.... " is will our head coach's incredible luck on the golf course carry over to the upcoming hockey season?

And, once again reality may imitate art.

https://www.events.unh.edu/Registrat...event_id=24097

And, another golf course favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_o9VXocXo
                      Last edited by Snively65; 07-20-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...hire-wildcats/

Northeastern's season preview series, this one on UNH
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...hire-wildcats/

Northeastern's season preview series, this one on UNH
                          Wow, cannot argue with much of that; Dan Shaughnessy pretty much summarizes the content of our last few threads. But, the one thing that we have going for us is getting trounced in SOG last year, which many here claim is a winning formula for success. Maybe last year was a SOG anomaly for us.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 07-27-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

".......all that I wanna know-oh.... " is will our head coach's incredible luck on the golf course carry over to the upcoming hockey season?

And, once again reality may imitate art.

https://www.events.unh.edu/Registrat...event_id=24097

And, another golf course favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_o9VXocXo
                            "Moe, Larry, cheese! Moe, Larry cheese! No, roguefort!"
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Drafted by NHL, UNH freshmen ready to start:
                              http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/170739969
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Many thanks to those patiently waiting for the electrical storm to pass ...

Fun with Souza, Dick & Stu - Offseason Edition - Part IX

Now five men approach Tee Nine
                                Dick and Mark walk first, arm in arm, like best buds
                                "So Mark, what is it with these steel poles on Hole Nine?"
                                "Dick, I got this idea from Puff. Let me tell you what it is"
                                "Puff? You don't mean, those poles are ... "
                                "Yup. For lights. This is his brain child"
                                "What a dumb thing to think. But it is Puff, so no big shock"
                                "He thinks UNH can host the NCAA and NHIAA golf champs now"
                                "So Mark, what do you think of all of ... this???" as Dick waves his arms
                                "I nixed the grand stand part of his plans. Now THAT was nuts"
                                "I think the whole thing is nuts. But I'll hit first now"

The ninth hole is a Par Five
                                Think of the costs saved from no stands
                                The lights bill could be huge
                                But only if they are left on
                                Dick steps up to the tee box
                                His drive is a very bad slice
                                Ping ping
                                His shot hits off one post, then to post two
                                It then stops dead in the midst of the fair way
                                Stu shakes his head and hits next
                                Grip and rip, the tee shot drifts off to the first cut
                                Mike hits last, but he is still pee oh'ed
                                He shanks his tee shot - ping
                                His shot rests not too far from Stu now

Spot drives off, with Dick and Mark in tow
                                Stu and Mike walk off on their own to their balls
                                "What a suck up move that was back on eight" hisses Mike
                                "Takes one to know one, pal" shoots back Stu
                                "But yeah, Dick did score an ace. His ball was in the hole"
                                "No way, Stu"
                                "Way, Mike. Trust me, I want to win this, more than you know"
                                "Still not happy I got the job, and not you?"
                                "You are away, Mike. Go hit your ball"

Mike steps up and plays it safe
                                Hits a good shot that stops 150 yards out in a good spot
                                Stu now moves to his ball and also plays it safe
                                His shot rolls up next to Mike's ball
                                They are both in with a clear third shot to the green
                                Barbs at each other still flow on the walk up

Dick gets out of the cart to hit his next shot
                                This time he hooks his shot - ping ping
                                The poles save him from a bad shot twice now
                                He is just 100 yards out, as he gets back to the cart
                                "Nice shot, Dick" says Mark and Spot the cart loop
                                "Mark, I think Puff may have a good plan here after all"
                                "I thought you might think that, Dick"
                                "Hey, the car park looks full now. What's up?" Dick asks
                                "We have a few guests over to check in with after nine" grins Mark

Mike and Stu hit their next shots to the fringe of the green
                                One on each side - they will need up and downs to make par
                                Dick waits, and hits a short iron right on the nose
                                Dick's ball flies past the green
                                Ping
                                Dick's ball rolls back to less than five feet from the cup
                                Both Mike and Stu shout "You can pick that up boss"

Dick goes to pick up his ball
                                Mark goes in to the back of the cart and grabs a Busch Tab
                                Mark spits it back up all at once when he tries to sip it
                                "What is this rat swill Dick has in his cart?"
                                "I have a strict don't ask, don't tell thing on that" grins Spot

Mike chips from the left fringe, and comes close to a hole out
                                Stu chips from the right fringe, and it stops a foot short
                                Will the men tell each other to pick up?
                                Not a chance. Not a chance in he11
                                Both tap in for their pars. Dick cards his bird

"So I guess Mark told you what's up, boss" smiles Mike
                                "Yes, he said we will stop for a bit at the club house now"
                                "No one tells me jack squat" moans Stu
                                "You think you should have done eight the other way now, sport?" laughs Spot
                                "Boy do we have a great guest for you, Coach" beams Mark
                                "I have a new guest here too, if his pass port checks out" beams Mike
                                Stu now feels quite left out, and his nice move on eight seems so naïve now

Dick is still filled with joy from his ace, and from his front nine now too
                                Dick is also still quite filled up with Schlitz Busch Tab
                                Dick burps first, then walks to the sand trap and pukes his guts out
                                Now he can start fresh for the back nine

The score at the turn (Par 35) stands:

*Dick -4 Souza E Stu E

Dick still has the lead
                                Dick still has honors
                                Dick waits for the big party after nine
                                Mike and Mark are
                                Stu is
                                Puff waits for the men at the club house with a crutch
                                Spot thinks he does not miss the old place all that much after all
                                Hey, our heroes have been partying in the clubhouse for over a week, drinking Tab, or whatever. Time to get out of the clubhouse and hit the back nine. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X