Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Obviously, the Alaska exemption only helps the schools that pack their arenas. From the WCHA games I watched online this past season, none of them appeared real full. In the old WCHA, schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota made a lot of money off of those extra games.
    LOL. You're talking to a guy who's program only a couple of years ago was in dire budget-straits and who'd presumably have some small modicum of empathy. It's hilarious though that he seems to be reveling in the possible demise of two programs that have more than shown their dedication to the sport. UAA and UAF were in the past wholly committed to the sport and willing to spend nearly 2 million dollars each season. How many other programs do that? Certainly not backwater hillybilly Alabama hockey teams ... if their budget is 1M a year, I'd be surprised. Over the years, UAA and UAF saved dozens of programs big bucks on travel and plenty of schools made big bucks (millions over time) in cashing in on the exemptions. But you'll find few if any fans on this board with that recognition. People like this hillbilly math-whiz should stick to hillbilly things.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      LOL. You're talking to a guy who's program only a couple of years ago was in dire budget-straits and who'd presumably have some small modicum of empathy. It's hilarious though that he seems to be reveling in the possible demise of two programs that have more than shown their dedication to the sport. UAA and UAF were in the past wholly committed to the sport and willing to spend nearly 2 million dollars each season. How many other programs do that? Certainly not backwater hillybilly Alabama hockey teams ... if their budget is 1M a year, I'd be surprised. Over the years, UAA and UAF saved dozens of programs big bucks on travel and plenty of schools made big bucks (millions over time) in cashing in on the exemptions. But you'll find few if any fans on this board with that recognition. People like this hillbilly math-whiz should stick to hillbilly things.
      Actually, they didn't save anyone a dime on travel in the current WCHA. Heck of a lot cheap to go the Bemidji or Ferris than Ancorage or Fairbanks, even with the stipend.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Actually, they didn't save anyone a dime on travel in the current WCHA. Heck of a lot cheap to go the Bemidji or Ferris than Ancorage or Fairbanks, even with the stipend. And please, call me a T###. I would be honored to get that from someone who makes THE Donald look like a good guy. By the way, hope your health is improving. Would miss your pointed commentary!
        Last edited by davyd83; 08-29-2016, 09:54 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Actually, they didn't save anyone a dime on travel in the current WCHA. Heck of a lot cheap to go the Bemidji or Ferris than Ancorage or Fairbanks, even with the stipend.
          Cos buying every team 20 tickets doesn't save them on travel? I'm so effing sick of that nonsense. Of course they saved money. They didn't have to buy 20 tickets ffs. Are you really as dim in real life as you so often seem here? As you and everyone else is already aware, I'm not concerned with what people think of me here. In that vain, my admittedly spiteful wish to see the WCHA lose Kato and BG will leave me gleefully laughing if the state of Alaska is cheap enough to kill the hockey programs up there too. Y'all can just drop the W and call yourselves the CHA again with your six half-arsed schools who all moan and whine about spending money. Maybe if your schools were as committed to the sport as UAA and UAF have been you wouldn't end up like that.

Comment

Cos buying every team 20 tickets doesn't save them on travel? I'm so effing sick of that nonsense. Of course they saved money. They didn't have to buy 20 tickets ffs. Are you really as dim in real life as you so often seem here? As you and everyone else is already aware, I'm not concerned with what people think of me here. In that vain, my admittedly spiteful wish to see the WCHA lose Kato and BG will leave me gleefully laughing if the state of Alaska is cheap enough to kill the hockey programs up there too. Y'all can just drop the W and call yourselves the CHA again with your six half-arsed schools who all moan and whine about spending money. Maybe if your schools were as committed to the sport as UAA and UAF have been you wouldn't end up like that.
            If we don't go to Alaska, we don't spend a nickel on plane tickets. Except for Huntsville. And if it's really great for your teams to be in a league with Ferris, NMU, Tech & LSSU, why are your other sports not in the GLIAC? Oh, yeah, it would be expensive and not worth the travel. If you could find 4 other BC/ West Coast schools with hockey, you'd jump from the WCHA quicker than Fairbanks freezes in January.
            Last edited by davyd83; 08-29-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              If we don't go to Alaska, we don't spend a nickel on plane tickets. Except for Huntsville. And if it's really great for your teams to be in a league with Ferris, NMU, Tech & LSSU, why are your other sports not in the GLIAC? Oh, yeah, it would be expensive and not worth the travel. If you could find 4 other BC/ West Coast schools with hockey, you'd jump from the WCHA quicker than Fairbanks freezes in January.
              UAA's always been willing to subsidize travel even on the D2 level which is where the rest of UAA's sports compete (except Gymnastics). They've long recognized the geographical challenge that coming to Alaska puts on outside teams. And you didn't have a choice to "not go" so saying we didn't save your team money is laughably dumb. The issue again is that your school (and others in the WCHA) are simply NOT COMMITTED to playing hockey at the D1 level. UAA and UAF were. What's NMU's hockey budget? Over 1M? I'd bet it's not.

Nevermind ... I looked it up. Your school spends 3.5M on all it's intercollegiate sports and the hockey budget is 630K. What a joke of a school.
              Last edited by uaafanblog; 08-29-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Just go ahead and say you want us gone.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Of course he does. His school spends more on D2 football than it does on D1 hockey. That explains his constant whining about travel costs and travel time. They don't deserve to be playing D1 hockey and should fold their crappy program. They clearly aren't committed financially. Maybe if they wouldn't spend so much on ACHA club hockey they could afford to play D1. But if they dropped D1 they could be an ACHA club hockey powerhouse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    I want UAA and UAF to survive. They are both proud programs with great fans. To lose these programs would not be good for the WCHA or college hockey in general.

Comment

UAA's always been willing to subsidize travel even on the D2 level which is where the rest of UAA's sports compete (except Gymnastics). They've long recognized the geographical challenge that coming to Alaska puts on outside teams. And you didn't have a choice to "not go" so saying we didn't save your team money is laughably dumb. The issue again is that your school (and others in the WCHA) are simply NOT COMMITTED to playing hockey at the D1 level. UAA and UAF were. What's NMU's hockey budget? Over 1M? I'd bet it's not.

Nevermind ... I looked it up. Your school spends 3.5M on all it's intercollegiate sports and the hockey budget is 630K. What a joke of a school.
                      Joke? The joke is that your school is the one that's 10 seconds from, to use your terminology, twats up. It's the Alaska schools that are on the verge of cutting their funding to $0. Even though our little school in the Soo does a horrible job at funding D-1 hockey, we will still have D-1 hockey. So thanks for the lecture on funding Mr Twat Waffle. No one wants to see your schools lose their programs. But you need the Midwestern schools far more than they need you. And if your school is so committed to hockey, why did they build an amazing new basketball arena and not a hockey facility and leave the hockey team at the biggest dump in college hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                        You'd have a point if your teams provided anything more than a PWR anchor to the league.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          You'd have a point if your teams provided anything more than a PWR anchor to the league.
                          Cos MTU didn't ever spend years at the effing bottom of the league? Are you seriously pulling that card? You are so much more than a known petulant little baby. UAA had some decent accomplishments in it's history. Successful NCAA appearances. The only team that ever beat the Gophers on their ice in the playoffs (multiple times). We finished in the middle of the league some but yeah ... we finished lower more often than higher. None of that goes against what was clearly the appropriate financial commitment as compared to other schools in the WCHA.

The facts are that more than a few of the budgets of current WCHA teams are FULLY INDICATIVE that those schools are NOT SERIOUS about their commitment to play D1 hockey. And the two teams in the league that have spent nearly TWICE AS MUCH as every other team in the league are being used as political effing pawns. And jerk-offs like you come on this board and spread ignorant misinformation? Grow up baby Huey.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                            Joke? The joke is that your school is the one that's 10 seconds from, to use your terminology, twats up.
                            Glad you think it's funny.

It's the Alaska schools that are on the verge of cutting their funding to $0.
                            Wrong. You clearly have NO CLUE about what's going on. Go away and read up before you come to this board and comment.

Even though our little school in the Soo does a horrible job at funding D-1 hockey, we will still have D-1 hockey.
                            Wow. Congrats on that fine accomplishment! Your pride must be huge.

So thanks for the lecture on funding Mr Twat Waffle. No one wants to see your schools lose their programs. But you need the Midwestern schools far more than they need you.
                            Which is why UAA and UAF subsidized the weakly budgeted competition. Unlike the whiny babies who inhabit that part of the country; Alaskans typically stepped up historically and did what was necessary.

And if your school is so committed to hockey, why did they build an amazing new basketball arena and not a hockey facility and leave the hockey team at the biggest dump in college hockey?
                            Because that horrible prostitute harpee that you voted for vice-president used her line-item veto power to cut 120 million dollar dual purpose arena from the budget to prove she was a fiscal conservative to her voting base.

Again, we spent 1.9M a year on hockey. How much does your school spend? 3 times less. LOL ...

Comment

We've got 4 inter league series right out of the gate this year which will be very important down The road. Huntsville at Uconn, NMU vs wisconsin, ( twice actually), Tech at Duluth, Minnesota and UAA. Not to mention Ferris has 3 of the first 5 out of conference. Every one of these games is big. Good luck to all.
                              Last edited by manurespreader; 08-30-2016, 04:54 PM.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Obviously, the Alaska exemption only helps the schools that pack their arenas. From the WCHA games I watched online this past season, none of them appeared real full. In the old WCHA, schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota made a lot of money off of those extra games.
                                It's not just hockey, either.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X