No announcement yet.

Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    When we were both CCHA members that was an entirely different situation.
    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.

Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.
    Better fit in the Big 10 than Hockey East.

Comment

Why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johns_Hopkins_University
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I was coming here to say the same thing
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Notre Dame is the one that got away for the Big Ten.

They’re a quintessential big ten school. Miswesr, good academics, rife with cash, and name recognition. Notre Dame isn’t a research powerhouse like the rest of the big ten schools though.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

"sport"
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm sure you're not alone. But for my part, I'm very pleased that Notre Dame is a member of our hockey conference. No mixed feelings at all.

How so? Granted, it's not an identical situation. But since we're talking feelings: I thought it was great that Notre Dame was a CCHA member. Losing the hockey partnership with the Fighting Irish was one of the downsides of forming the B1G Hockey Conference. Then, when the deal was reached for Notre Dame to rejoin us in hockey, my honest reaction was "Welcome Home."

So you're prepared to kick out Wisconsin for not having a baseball team?

How about the five schools where Men's Soccer isn't a Varsity sport. Bye-Bye?

By the time we get done with all of the expulsions, we might be competing as an independent!

Comment

Bad argument. Those sports don’t exist at those schools.

The original point is that those sports DO exist at Notre Dame and we don’t force them in for all.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I can't say that I'm thrilled about it but the B1G TEN needed some help in Hockey. Same with Lacrosse and John Hopkins as Happy pointed out. Notre Dame will never join the B1G in football, if they did that would be stupid financially for them. As I said I'm not thrilled but I don't complain about it much. I can see the reasoning.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Bad argument. Those sports don’t exist at those schools.

The original point is that those sports DO exist at Notre Dame and we don’t force them in for all.
                    Well, I don't have ESP. On further review, maybe HockeyBuckeye's first sentence (Post #1) can be read your way. Maybe. But I don't think the third sentence can. When all becomes "ALL," I don't see a lot of wriggle room.

Setting aside the question of who's been "bad," let's deal with the disagreement. If I understand it correctly, your position is that as long as a member school participates in most Big Ten sports, but has no program at all in the rest, that's OK. Apparently I'm also to assume that Club Sports "don't exist." But letting a school participate in B1G Varsity sports is unacceptable -- if they offer one or more Varsity sports in another league.

Whatever the merits, that's not the current rule. As others have pointed out, the inclusion of Johns Hopkins in the Lacrosse league set a precedent that one sport membership is OK. Still want to outlaw the practice? Go for it. Work through the system. Try to get a new rule passed. State your case!

Beyond "mixed feelings," what specific problems do you see with single sport membership? I look at the two deals that have been struck, and see a win-win situation for all concerned. Maybe I'm wrong to support those deals. But those wanting a ban need to tell me why. My feeling is that such a ban is a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Interesting subject and we all know that ND always does what's best for ND and that's fine.

Notre Dame's primary sports affiliation is with the ACC where they are a full member for all sports except football. In football, they are required to schedule 5 ACC teams each year and every ACC team every five year interval.

As we all know, no hockey in the ACC except BC.

Comment

ACC should claim national titles in hockey
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The way I see it Notre Dame is as good as they are due to having spent their formative years in Hockey East. Without that, they’d be like Michigan State. Stuck in the BIG cellar.
                          Thank goodness for advanced technology.

Comment

Perhaps my perspective on this is simply the traditional view. Colleges & Universities were one of two things, either an independent or a conference school. We didn't used to have we'll be in this conference for this sport and another conference for these sports and this one we'll still be independent. The latter is how I perceive Notre Dame.
                            Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any real problem with their hockey team being in but as another stated they're a quintessential big ten school and I don't think it's good for college sports and conferences overall to allow such a patchwork of competition to exist.
                            Their desire to keep what control they have keeps them from being a full fledged member of the B1G which I think should have happened a LONG time ago.

Comment

Perhaps my perspective on this is simply the traditional view. Colleges & Universities were one of two things, either an independent or a conference school. We didn't used to have we'll be in this conference for this sport and another conference for these sports and this one we'll still be independent. The latter is how I perceive Notre Dame.
                              Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any real problem with their hockey team being in but as another stated they're a quintessential big ten school and I don't think it's good for college sports and conferences overall to allow such a patchwork of competition to exist.
                              Their desire to keep what control they have keeps them from being a full fledged member of the B1G which I think should have happened a LONG time ago.
                              We don't live in "used to be's anymore..." Seriously. If you change this, it will turn the entire conference structure upside down. It's not that I don't agree, but we're not going back to the way it was. I didn't want to see the Big East (one of the greatest basketball conferences ever) break up either, but stuff happens...

Comment

Working...
                              X