X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    2/3 x 4 = 2.6667
    2/3 X 4 = 8/3 or 1+2/3. don't round if you don't need to.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      By the way, Jim Plumer's 4th year at Amherst was like 10 years ago, so who cares that they weren't competitive before then - other NESCAC teams were instead of them (although Middlebury did have more of a stranglehold then).
      By the same "logic," who cares which teams came in 2nd, 3rd, etc, in the NESCAC in any year. If you ain't first, you're last! The reality is nobody has really challenged Middlebury in the NESCAC the way Elmira and RIT used to in the former ECAC West. Manhattanville used to dominate the former ECAC East in the same way Middlebury dominated the NESCAC. Nobody really matters from out west except maybe River Falls and now Adrian in recent years. I'm being harsh on purpose to say that Rusell is right in that there are very few teams that can challenge and/or displace the perennial favorites. You have also said the same thing even if you put these ( ) around it. It's essentially the same teams that reach the NCAA playoffs every year. That's pretty boring overall, so I love it when a team like Northland knocks off a big dog like Adrian in the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Lol, let me put some aluminum foil on the antenna to help bring in your dream's signal a little better.
        Bowdoin spent $20,000,000 on Watson and has not had teams (women or men) that are much more than "in the mix" in the NESCAC let alone in the conversation about a national championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          Bowdoin spent $20,000,000 on Watson and has not had teams (women or men) that are much more than "in the mix" in the NESCAC let alone in the conversation about a national championship.
          Facilities are only one piece of the equation. Coaching and “resources” IE financial aid and academic standards in the nescac’s case are also huge factors.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Facilities are only one piece of the equation. Coaching and “resources” IE financial aid and academic standards in the nescac’s case are also huge factors.
            Bowdoin's applications are treated on a "need blind" basis, meaning your FAFSA and aid info is not part of the admissions decision. Bowdoin guarantees you will graduate debt free (ie grants and other financial assistance, resources available to all students, not only athletes, will meet all your college bills), is in a spectacular and unique coastal location, receives something like 10 applications for each spot in a Polar Bear class, and I would hope was able to turn up more hockey talent than has recently been manifest on the ice.
            Anyway, Good Luck across the Lake on Wednesday! Hope to see you in Stafford Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              By the same "logic," who cares which teams came in 2nd, 3rd, etc, in the NESCAC in any year. If you ain't first, you're last! The reality is nobody has really challenged Middlebury in the NESCAC the way Elmira and RIT used to in the former ECAC West. Manhattanville used to dominate the former ECAC East in the same way Middlebury dominated the NESCAC. Nobody really matters from out west except maybe River Falls and now Adrian in recent years. I'm being harsh on purpose to say that Rusell is right in that there are very few teams that can challenge and/or displace the perennial favorites. You have also said the same thing even if you put these ( ) around it. It's essentially the same teams that reach the NCAA playoffs every year. That's pretty boring overall, so I love it when a team like Northland knocks off a big dog like Adrian in the regular season.
              Not surprisingly, you miss the entire point. The issue was the depth of Conf. talent. And in that respect, the nescac is the only hockey Conf. that has it, year in, and year out. I also hate to agree with HockeyEast [not really, he seems swell]...but the 'cac teams never get a night off when they play w/in the Conf...definitely hurts them in the rankings and also in terms of rest, for ncaa run.

Comment

The team has every advantage in D3 in terms of campus, academics, facilities, etc. Yet year in and out, they underachieve. [and that new hockey mausoleum they built, I believe was closer to $27M, not $20]. A lot of the reason Bowdoin has been average to bad since they abandoned historic Dayton Arena is that the coaching [not counting Terry M.] has been....underwhelming. Recruiting players takes effort and that's not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  To be clear, Bowdoin spent a small fraction of the $20MM. Misters White and Ganong (I believe there may have been a couple of others) donated the vast majority....

It is a beautiful arena rivaling all D3 rinks (including Middlebury)...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    To be clear, Bowdoin spent a small fraction of the $20MM. Misters White and Ganong (I believe there may have been a couple of others) donated the vast majority....

Not an Oswego fan, but I really believe their arena is probably tops in D3

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

Actually the school never actually spends "their own" money...it's ALWAYS raised from the Alums [as opposed to Oswego where the taxpayers foot the bill]. And I don't think 2 guys paid for most of it...the rink was part of a much larger capital campaign.

That said, I'm not a fan...All that money spent and they ended up with more of a museum than a hockey rink. Ditto for that terrible White Whale in Middlebury.

In the 'cac, I much prefer the feel of Amherst or Colby or even Wesly to those newer rinks.
                      Last edited by CrossCheck; 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Anyone going to the Platty / Norwich game tonight? Other than the game against Adrian later this month, Norwich may be the only test for the Cardinals this season.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          Anyone going to the Platty / Norwich game tonight? Other than the game against Adrian later this month, Norwich may be the only test for the Cardinals this season.
                          I will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                            Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                            I will be there.
                            I'm here.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              I'm here.
                              Looking forward to both your impressions of the game!

Comment

Just really fun to watch this level and pace. When has anyone outshot the Cards at Stafford 16-6 after 1 period. 2-2 end 1
                                Last edited by obserbear; 11-08-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X