Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

i thought this was the best game defensively of the season. The defense was clearing rebounds (not that there were many), they were standing players up at the blue line, poking the puck off a rushing Riverhawk stick through the neutral zone and at the blue line, breaking the puck out well. I'm not a fan of the "dump the puck always" strategy in the third, but when up 3-0 I can't blame them for playing conservative. We all want them to STEP ON THE THROAT but in reality there is no pressing need to.

Penalty kill was solid. Lowell has a good unit (20% going into today), so they will get their looks and chances. We stifled them when they got something going. From the setup to the execution, liked what I saw on the PK.

"Getting outplayed in the third" can really be attributed to score effects and desperation by Lowell to try and maintain offensive pressure. I don't think many teams would outplay Lowell in the third period when up 3-0. Most teams will likely play the way we did, I'd wager. When a team is losing they'll naturally be pressing and firing more on net in the later parts of the game. Just what to expect. NU dominated the neutral zone and offensive zone time for 2.5 periods. I really liked what I saw.

Cecere, Cockerill, Davies all had standout games on defense for me. Ruck was sound and solid. Gaudette, Sikura, Picking stood out among the forwards, succeeding in their respective roles. The Solow line was invisible to me offensively. Some guys just seemed timid to shoot the puck, not sure why or if I'm alone in that perception, but I want to see more from 21-28-17 tomorrow.

HUGE first win of the year. Sets a tone, sends a message. First time NU opens with a Hockey East win since 2012. Madigan gets to 100 career wins. Good stuff.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• yes, big W indeed.

also, hoping the refs can call some of the cheap shots (away from the puck).. on Sikura & Gaudette. Happened all gm Fri. Especially on Sikura, & also on Stevens to an extent. They (refs) let a lot go. Hoping they are better on top of things Saturday.. as is the team.

Go Huskies
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post

...We gotta win the 3rd periods this season to be a good team against solid competition.

Btw, Ruck was solid.
        On these two points we can agree. Dodged a couple of bullets in the 3rd but defensive issues of the past two weeks seem to have ben addressed. Solid win.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

13 in for 23 tonight. Let's take two here!

Comment

Originally posted by Roll_Dawgs View Post
            13 in for 23 tonight. Let's take two here!
            That's an...interesting switch.

I seriously wonder why Lerario keeps getting dressed. He gets maybe 5 shifts in the game from what I can tell/notice, why not play someone who would be more used over the full 60 minutes? Schultz at least has wheels that can be valuable.
            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Go NU
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post

I seriously wonder why Lerario keeps getting dressed. He gets maybe 5 shifts in the game from what I can tell/notice, why not play someone who would be more used over the full 60 minutes? Schultz at least has wheels that can be valuable.

13 this year is Selanne - Lerario doubled up to 26.

Comment

• Originally posted by scorer View Post
                  13 this year is Selanne - Lerario doubled up to 26.
                  I'm aware of that. But 23 being out means 26 is staying in. That's my confusion. Why take out 23 and still play 26.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post

I like Schultz and I agree he skates and playmakes pretty well. He's looked the best of the non-Solow freshman forwards IMO
                    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

So should they stick with Ruck tonight or go with CP? I like the way Ruck has played. He will never be a Brad Thiessen but when he is playing well I would stick with him.
                      These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                        So should they stick with Ruck tonight or go with CP? I like the way Ruck has played. He will never be a Brad Thiessen but when he is playing well I would stick with him.
                        if we have any chance to get the 2nd W.. have to stick with Ruck. Not saying that gets us the W..(kids have to hustle all 3 periods & skate with UML).. just that RR gives us slightly better chance; especially after last night.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• how do you give up a breakaway chance on a 5x3 .. c'mon team.. let's go!
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• that's more like it.. huge G there right before end of the 1st.
                            Last edited by northeastern; 10-28-2017, 06:41 PM.
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• should we start declining these 5x3s .. ha!
                              let's regroup.. let's go NU.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Great first period, they could have scored 3. Couple of scary turnovers. Gotta say Picking has been a good surprise this year.
                                These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X