Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    The initial report was correct so bring a bunch of squad cars and surround him and tell him to drop the weapon over the loudspeaker.

I certainly don't think this was nearly as bad as what happened in the Philando case or some of the others but it just seems like the cops escalated the situation into a deadly one.
    This is a joke right? You want the police to waste resources on a drunk guy with a gun in the hopes he settles down? That isnt how de-escalation works and even if it was that is the most ridiculously inefficient way to handle the situation I have ever heard.

But lets say they did that...the same people who are complaining now would be complaining about how it was "overkill" to send that many cops and how that only made the situation worse and how they need to (and here is the ironic part) send loss cops in opes of de-escalating the situation.

I am not cop defender, but this is not the case to die on the mountain for.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

IDK what the best solution is but running at a drunk guy with your gun drawn didn't exactly deescalate the situation either and ended up with the suspect being shot and killed (and possibly could've ended up with the officers being wounded or injured had it gone differently). And nobody said anything about a SWAT team or whatever the **** you guys are talking about, even if you can only spare only one squad car for calls like this I don't see why they can just start by using the loudspeaker from a distance to see if you can get the guy to drop the weapon first. The guy was just sitting on the curb talking to someone as far as I can tell until they started running at him.

I agree this isn't nearly as egregious as the worse cop shootings we've seen (Philando) and the suspect bears plenty of blame here for his actions prior to the cops showing up but I'm not convinced there weren't better ways to handle this either. Do you think the Tamir Rice shooting or the one involving the guy with a BB gun in Walmart were justified as well? Because those were similar calls of armed suspects (at least that's what the cops were told) in which the suspect was holding what appeared to be a gun and they were subsequently ambushed and shot. In this case the officers did show some restraint and didn't shoot the guy until he reached toward the weapon so some credit where it's due.
      Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-31-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        IDK what the best solution is but running at a drunk guy with your gun drawn didn't exactly deescalate the situation either and ended up with the suspect being shot and killed (and possibly could've ended up with the officers being wounded or injured had it gone differently). And nobody said anything about a SWAT team or whatever the **** you guys are talking about, even if you can only spare only one squad car for calls like this I don't see why they can just start by using the loudspeaker from a distance to see if you can get the guy to drop the weapon first. The guy was just sitting on the curb talking to someone as far as I can tell until they started running at him.

I agree this isn't nearly as egregious as the worse cop shootings we've seen (Philando) and the suspect bears plenty of blame here for his actions prior to the cops showing up but I'm not convinced there weren't better ways to handle this either. Do you think the Tamir Rice shooting or the one involving the guy with a BB gun in Walmart were justified as well? Because those were similar calls of armed suspects (at least that's what the cops were told) in which the suspect was holding what appeared to be a gun and they were subsequently ambushed and shot. In this case the officers did show some restraint and didn't shoot the guy until he reached toward the weapon so some credit where it's due.
        If you can't see the difference between those situations and this one then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm not exactly Mr. Defender when it comes to cops and I am on their side that should tell you something.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No situation is going to be exactly the same but there were enough similarities to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            No situation is going to be exactly the same but there were enough similarities to compare.
            Yeah, no. The only similarities were it was a black man with a gun.

Castile was in a car, calm, wasn't reported as firing the gun, wasn't reported as being drunk, didn't run, and didn't pull his gun.
            This guy did all of that exactly opposite.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Yeah, no. The only similarities were it was a black man with a gun.

Castile was in a car, calm, wasn't reported as firing the gun, wasn't reported as being drunk, didn't run, and didn't pull his gun.
              This guy did all of that exactly opposite.
              I wasn't comparing to Castille.

Comment

In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.
                  99% agree

I’m not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but it’s about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I don’t have a solution for that.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Bingo.

The cops had no idea of this guy's intentions. One comment in the Star Trib said it wasn't illegal to own a gun. Um, in this case it was. He was a felon.
                    You're a cop. You roll up to a person who's been drinking, has fired shots, and has been reported as unpredictable. You exit your vehicle, this person brandishes a gun and runs like hell.

You have a split second to decide what to do.

Case closed.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      99% agree

I’m not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but it’s about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I don’t have a solution for that.
                      The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.

Comment

If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.
                          Yeah, firing a gun indiscriminately into the air while drunk isn't dangerous to people at all...
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
                            Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him
                              How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.
                                I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                                X