Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

I'm down 20-25lbs on the year thus far, depending upon the scale, and I've started running again. Running through the plantar fasciitis because it's not nearly as bad as it had been. It just doesn't seem to have been getting any better for a while now. I'd still like to drop another 20-30lbs, get myself down to a healthier weight. I'll stop losing when I'm comfortable, which will likely be somewhere north of 200lbs, likely around 215. It's tough to gauge because I have too much loose skin from when I was 360lbs back in 2013.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I'm down 20-25lbs on the year thus far, depending upon the scale, and I've started running again. Running through the plantar fasciitis because it's not nearly as bad as it had been. It just doesn't seem to have been getting any better for a while now. I'd still like to drop another 20-30lbs, get myself down to a healthier weight. I'll stop losing when I'm comfortable, which will likely be somewhere north of 200lbs, likely around 215. It's tough to gauge because I have too much loose skin from when I was 360lbs back in 2013.
      Seems like you're making progress, and you'll get there.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Both of you are doing better than me. Consulting/road life is just an invitation to junk eating. Client ordered in Mexican for lunch yesterday, and while I did OK with fajitas, I caved to using sour cream, and also ate 2 churros (thankfully, no chocolate available).

Been trying to use my hotel gyms this year, and it's a struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Both of you are doing better than me. Consulting/road life is just an invitation to junk eating. Client ordered in Mexican for lunch yesterday, and while I did OK with fajitas, I caved to using sour cream, and also ate 2 churros (thankfully, no chocolate available).

Been trying to use my hotel gyms this year, and it's a struggle.
          While we all have different specific circumstances, we've all been there. I was eating my stress on top of having un-diagnosed OSA, and a bum shoulder. Eventually I had to decide when enough was enough and changed my ways. Then I fell in for a relapse of my old ways, gaining back about 50lbs after having lost 135lbs. Now I'm back to re-lose that weight. Nobody does this perfectly if they haven't made physical fitness their top priority in life. Very few people ever do that.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

While we all have different specific circumstances, we've all been there. I was eating my stress on top of having un-diagnosed OSA, and a bum shoulder. Eventually I had to decide when enough was enough and changed my ways. Then I fell in for a relapse of my old ways, gaining back about 50lbs after having lost 135lbs. Now I'm back to re-lose that weight. Nobody does this perfectly if they haven't made physical fitness their top priority in life. Very few people ever do that.
            Physical fitness is a priority for me, yes, But I've had to learn to be kind and gentle with myself. One thing I've learned is that my eating disorder never really was cured; it just got shoved to the subconscious, where it serves as a how to manual every time the scale says something I don't like.

It upsets me that marathon running has caught up with me and has left me feeling tired. Even if everything WERE awesome right now, I question if I could get up for these races time and again.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Well, we know it can be done. But I'd like to see Kipchoge do it when it counts.
              For the record, Kipchoge is going to try again at the Berlin Marathon.

Comment

Another thing I thought...

I think, in the coming years, I'll take different years and focus on certain things. Like one year, focus on half/25K/full (but cut back the number of races), do nothing but 2-3 ultras one year, take another year and focus on training for the full duathlon at Michigan Titanium, plus do sprint and Olympic duathlon.

Comment

Physical exercise is my biggest problem at this point. I'm not that massive - (5'10, 210-ish), but I could certainly benefit from losing 30 lbs.

Bob - I have an aunt who is a great runner, and finished the Boston Marathon a few years ago, in the 40-year old category (I think she was late-40s at the time). The point is, you aren't likely to win these events any longer, but you can certainly set expectations according to your age. Gun to be the best in your age bracket, as long as you're fueling yourself properly.
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Physical exercise is my biggest problem at this point. I'm not that massive - (5'10, 210-ish), but I could certainly benefit from losing 30 lbs.

Bob - I have an aunt who is a great runner, and finished the Boston Marathon a few years ago, in the 40-year old category (I think she was late-40s at the time). The point is, you aren't likely to win these events any longer, but you can certainly set expectations according to your age. Gun to be the best in your age bracket, as long as you're fueling yourself properly.
                    Usually, Fade, the only way I take home an age group award for one of these things if there's only 1-3 people in my age group. This is what I want as I strive to recover and get back up to speed:

-Sub 4:30:00 marathon
                    -Sub 1:45:00 half-marathon
                    -Sub 2:30:00 25K
                    -Sub 3 hour Olympic duathlon
                    -Sub 1:45:00 sprint duathlon
                    -Sub 50:00 10K
                    -Sub 25:00 5K

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Usually, Fade, the only way I take home an age group award for one of these things if there's only 1-3 people in my age group. This is what I want as I strive to recover and get back up to speed:

-Sub 4:30:00 marathon
                      -Sub 1:45:00 half-marathon
                      -Sub 2:30:00 25K
                      -Sub 3 hour Olympic duathlon
                      -Sub 1:45:00 sprint duathlon
                      -Sub 50:00 10K
                      -Sub 25:00 5K
                      It's good to set goals, but if you don't hit these targets, you should not be beating yourself up over it.

Comment

DNF at Tri Del Sol. Got to mile 10 of the bike, and felt sluggish, and my right hip started to hurt. Looked at the sports medicine girls and said I was done.

My heart hurts right now, and I got in my car and sobbed for a good 10 minutes before leaving the site. I am so very close to withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule for the rest of the year and totally giving up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          DNF at Tri Del Sol. Got to mile 10 of the bike, and felt sluggish, and my right hip started to hurt. Looked at the sports medicine girls and said I was done.

My heart hurts right now, and I got in my car and sobbed for a good 10 minutes before leaving the site. I am so very close to withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule for the rest of the year and totally giving up.
                          Tending to an injury so you can keep doing stuff your whole life is not the same as giving up....

Although I know it is frustrating....

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            Tending to an injury so you can keep doing stuff your whole life is not the same as giving up....

Although I know it is frustrating....
                            The hip feels better; water and coffee helped.

But if "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised," maybe it is time I just step back from the scene for an extended break. Did Not Start for the rest of my race schedule might mean wasted money, but if I'm tired and this isn't fun any more....

Comment

Things I also know right now:

1. I tied too much of my identity to endurance. The fire is now gone, and I don't know who I am any more.

2. I'm thinking my anemia has returned. Possible explanation for being so sluggish yesterday.

3. Yesterday, after they dropped me back at transition, I started to cry. Cried back to the car, and cried for 10 more minutes in the car. Mentally, I can't handle another DNF.

4. Emotionally, my heart still hurts and will continue to hurt for some time.

5. In terms of withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule, maybe not, but it will depend on how the next couple weeks of training go.

6. And in terms of giving up, maybe not, but it is PAINFULLY clear that I need an extended break.

Comment

87 degrees and as humid as a 30yo vag? Sure, Ill go for a run.

I think I'm mostly done with my quotient of stupid today. All of it combined to add 3 minutes to my time today.

Comment

Working...
                                X