Ferris State University Hockey: 2013-2014 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State University Hockey: 2013-2014 season

Video of the line brawl between 2nd ranked Ferris State at Minnesota State on Saturday, January 18th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFl3FRf6yEE&hd=1

Comment

Bush.

Comment

Congrats to Mankato on the sweep.

Just saw the video. I'm going to to address our role in it. For the most part, I'll leave the Mankato side of things for their fans.

First of all, after looking at the box, some weird things there, too. Two misconducts for Motte. Odd. For the record, he should have received a 5-fighting and a DQ of his own, IMO. One DQ for fighting for Ferris, two for Mankato, along with a dive (?!?) for Gervais (three minors and a game misconduct there). I don't see how you end up with an odd number of fighting DQ's after all that, but it is what it is.

Demartino deserved his DQ for triggering a good chunk of this. That appeared to be unnecessary (I use "appeared" only because we can't pick up everything on that video). As I said a moment ago, Motte should have received one as well. As for the rest of it, I've seen that a few times over the years as well. I'm not going to over-react and go nuts over it. Am I appalled, shocked, outraged? No. But make no mistake, I'm not pleased.

I'm more concerned about the mentality of our team to take part in something like that, when we're getting beat on the weekend. You don't do something like that, especially when you're down 2 goals halfway through the 3rd period. That looks like something we used to do in the mid-90's in the waning seconds of getting swept for the weekend. I thought we'd moved past that. When you're losing like this, compete and take it like a man. We got what we deserved this past weekend.

What bothers me even more is that we did this with over 11 minutes left in the game. That's just stupid.

We need to get our heads on straight. We're #5 in the pairwise and in first place in our conference. Goddammit, let's act like it, and no more of this Mickey Mouse shit. Or else we're going to get swept again.
        Last edited by Hammer; 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

It's not like that was the first of those post-whistle scrums. There were a lot throughout the weekend, and that one just happened to boil over. It was a pretty intense series between two good, tough teams and that's going to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            It's not like that was the first of those post-whistle scrums. There were a lot throughout the weekend, and that one just happened to boil over. It was a pretty intense series between two good, tough teams and that's going to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
            Even one boiling over is too much at this point. Between injuries and circumstance, depth is already an issue.
            This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Congrats to Mankato on the sweep.

Just saw the video. I'm going to to address our role in it. For the most part, I'll leave the Mankato side of things for their fans.

First of all, after looking at the box, some weird things there, too. Two misconducts for Motte. Odd. For the record, he should have received a 5-fighting and a DQ of his own, IMO. One DQ for fighting for Ferris, two for Mankato, along with a dive (?!?) for Gervais (three minors and a game misconduct there). I don't see how you end up with an odd number of fighting DQ's after all that, but it is what it is.

Demartino deserved his DQ for triggering a good chunk of this. That appeared to be unnecessary (I use "appeared" only because we can't pick up everything on that video). As I said a moment ago, Motte should have received one as well. As for the rest of it, I've seen that a few times over the years as well. I'm not going to over-react and go nuts over it. Am I appalled, shocked, outraged? No. But make no mistake, I'm not pleased.

I'm more concerned about the mentality of our team to take part in something like that, when we're getting beat on the weekend. You don't do something like that, especially when you're down 2 goals halfway through the 3rd period. That looks like something we used to do in the mid-90's in the waning seconds of getting swept for the weekend. I thought we'd moved past that. When you're losing like this, compete and take it like a man. We got what we deserved this past weekend.

What bothers me even more is that we did this with over 11 minutes left in the game. That's just stupid.

We need to get our heads on straight. We're #5 in the pairwise and in first place in our conference. Goddammit, let's act like it, and no more of this Mickey Mouse shit. Or else we're going to get swept again.
              I would echo what Maize said. I actually turned to my buddy during the 3rd period on Friday night and said that it was getting out of control. You could just tell that it was going to boil over at some point. Frankly, the refs had opportunity after opportunity to squash it and they kept letting it go. I'm sure MSU was doing it as well (I'm not deluded enough to think our guys are little angels), but FSU was taking liberties with a lot of guys after the whistle all weekend long. Specifically Blueger was getting hacked after the whistle alot. Again, that's not surprising as Teddy is definitely a talker out there and really pulls the worst out of opponents.

Add to that, FSU was not playing as well as I think they have most of the year and the frustration was adding up. You could see that they were getting frustrated and not used to being beaten like that. To their credit, they almost fought back on Saturday and really had MSU on their heals. The scrum lit a fire under them and if they had 10 more minutes, I think they would have scored at least one more goal.

As for the scrum itself, those penalties were the most random bunch of penalties I've seen in a long time. They didn't make sense and I'm not quite sure why Motte got off with just a misconduct. I really wish MSU would have kept their composure. They let FSU get under their skin and it could have cost them the game. There was absolutely no reason to get caught up in that.

I'm not quite ready to call it a real "rivalry" yet, but it certainly was a good start. YOu can tell these are 2 very well coached teams and they should continue to stay at the top of the conference. If and when that happens, this could turn into a very good rivalry. I hope it does. These programs need it and the conference needs it.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

After seeing the video I don't think Ferris State will go far when playoff time comes unless they look in the mirror,lack of discipline will show in playoff games against top teams.

Comment

The dawgs need to rest up this week, after two long bus trips, and get back on track!!!!

Comment

Seriously? You guys are going to have games in hand over MSU again after this weekend? This unbalanced schedule sucks.
                    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Friday:

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ZSJJNhaGU

Press Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xixBfjgmB1Y

Comment

In case any of you are interested, LSSU is auctioning off the 4' x 4' team signs from each former CCHA team that hung in the Laker hockey arena. Details are in the link attached. Could be a cool way to own a big ol' bulldog head with some CCHA history attached to it.

http://www.lssu.edu/foundation/events/cchaauction.php

Just a heads up in case there is any interest from the Ferris faithful.

Comment

UAA @ Ferris St. thread is opened. FYI.

Comments are suggested. :O)
                          Back in AK for good... 7/13/05

Comment

Okay, okay, okay...

So I usually avoid this board when I'm frustrated with the team. Apparently I'm not the only one.

This has been a heckuva great season for Ferris hockey, we don't have any control what happens in any other series, but if the Dawgs play their game they should be able to take down the Lakers twice at home. Head into the WCHA tournament in our back yard and get ready for our third trip to the NCAA (as an at-large, as usual). It's time to get the team firing on all cylinders and I think this series will do that. I'm excited for the rest of March (and early April?)!

Go Dawgs!
                            "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                            - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                            CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                              Okay, okay, okay...

So I usually avoid this board when I'm frustrated with the team. Apparently I'm not the only one.
                              That's usually when I do most of my damage.

We're 9-7 since January 1st. Our issues are self-inflicted. We've simply got to play better hockey.

And re: the at large bid. Let's not go there quite yet. We've been burned on that before.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Congratulations!
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X