Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    As long as a large majority of players will benefit more from trying to get a scholarship than any other path, that will continue to be the preferable path. Disqualifying most people from professional play is completely pointless because it will never impact them. USSF would be better served to try to work with the current system rather than fight it.
    Except working with the current system has caused us to miss the World Cup. And two Olympics. And a U-20 World Cup. And a U-17 World Cup. So yeah, I'd say that idea can rightly go **** itself. College soccer is a major part of the problem right now and they can play ball or be written out of any piece of the money pie permanently. Wanna be a soccer coach in this country? Don't play NCAA. Wanna play on a high level amateur team? Don't play NCAA. Remember, college soccer doesn't just recruit Americans either, good luck trying to recruit kids now. UNC and the like love bragging about all those alums winning World Cups and Gold Medals, yeah no more of that.
    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 10-11-2017, 07:45 PM.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Again, simple research. There is big money in soccer already, the USSF has a $100 million surplus. Yeah it's not NFL level of big money but there's still plenty pie to go around.
      $100M is not big money as far a major US sport is concerned.

Comment

$100M is not big money as far a major US sport is concerned.
        That's just surplus, that's not including income being wasted on executives and useless coaches. And be mindful that we're likely to host a World Cup in 2026. The USSF still has funds from 1994. There's money.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

That's just surplus, that's not including income being wasted on executives and useless coaches. And be mindful that we're likely to host a World Cup in 2026. The USSF still has funds from 1994. There's money.
          Thats $2M per state if you want to invest in something across the country. What does that get you?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            Thats $2M per state if you want to invest in something across the country. What does that get you?
            It's 55 technically. California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York are split states. And actually, I wouldn't use that surplus in all states. Places like Cal North and Cal South, Washington, Maryland, Ohio N and S, Texas N and S etc. are not hurting for infrastructure in comparison to states like Alaska or North Dakota or Wyoming. Two best uses are starting State level DA clubs in rural states like Alaska or Wyoming and building futsal courts in poorer neighborhoods in cities ala basketball courts.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

That would never happen, because college coaches want to get the best recruits, and to do that they have to sell how they'll be prepared for the NFL.
              This isn't necessarily true though. Look at Tim Tebow for instance, he was used as an option QB who passed the ball on limited occasions and had basically no chance in the NFL because he's no longer far and away the strongest guy on the field. Obviously that's an anecdote but the point is coaches are far and away more concerned with playing to win so they can keep their job even if they resort to gimmicks that hinder development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Jim, can you explain more? I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Is it that Mr. and Mrs. Choate block poor kids from competing with little Erik and Erika so we wind up with a soccer system filled with Dartmouth and Duke upper class twits of the year?

In short, is it lacrosse?
                Yes, here's a graph.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

That would never happen, because college coaches want to get the best recruits, and to do that they have to sell how they'll be prepared for the NFL.

It seems you all are describing the symptoms, not the illness. The illness is that soccer simply isn't as popular in the US as several other sports. Building up the system you are dreaming of might just be possible until there is big money in soccer in the US.
                  The US has more soccer players than any other country on the planet. What you describe is not the issue at all.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks. I'd like to see the graph for hockey.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The illness is that soccer simply isn't as popular in the US as several other sports
                      It's far more popular than hockey, where we pull our weight internationally.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Very interesting. Thanks. I'd like to see the graph for hockey.
                        That twitterer (twit? tweeter?) had a very dickish response to that very question.

https://***********/futbolintellect/status/918175168979075072
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          That twitterer (twit? tweeter?) had a very dickish response to that very question.

https://***********/futbolintellect/...75168979075072
                          Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It's far more popular than hockey, where we pull our weight internationally.
                            Based on what? Paid attendance at the pro level? TV contracts based at least somewhat on the demand of the US population? How many kids play something won't impact the ability to build a development system. Money will.

Comment

Jimjamesak - what would be your timeline for a fix? Having something in place and fully working by Qatar seems a bit of a stretch so we're looking at 2026 and the full results by 2030??
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The real fix is to go full cold war USSR. Identify young talent and take them from their homes. Put them in a government funded intensive training program. Provide school, housing, meals, etc.

Each year re-evaluate players and send them home if they arent performing.

Note, USSR may just have had them killed.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X