Utica College 2017-2018 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Ouch. The worst home beat-down I can remember in a while.

While the final wasn't really indicative of the play, EC won that baby fair and square...

Anzevino was so quick and positioned himself nearly perfectly. He played so well.

The huge and talented Elmira 1st-line (#21 McLean, #19 Parruci being the two guys most worthy of mention) had their way with the Utica D all night long. (And, sweet Jesus, was Fritz awful tonight, or what?)

Saul had a great game plan. He trapped Utica whenever he could, and he double-shifted that 1st line early and often. UC probably out-attempted EC 2-1, but the latter mucked-it up in their D-zone and blocked a ton of shots.

This was either a wake-up call for UC, or a telling game in terms of their deficiencies. I'm hoping for the the former, and the score could certainly have been much closer, but it's hard to make any excuses for this one... Elmira just walked into The Aud and took it.

Comment

Concur with your comments Fish.

Did not foresee this happening. D-zone play was horrendous and I don't recall a single odd man rush for the Pios. Props to the Eagles D. Hard for me to comprehend how the 'fresher' team got pummeled after EC lost 5-1 to Naz (whom Utica beat last week) the night before. Perhaps the Eagles responded to a reaming like UC got postgame tonight. We'll see if UC responds similarly next week.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
        Concur with your comments Fish.

Did not foresee this happening. D-zone play was horrendous and I don't recall a single odd man rush for the Pios. Props to the Eagles D. Hard for me to comprehend how the 'fresher' team got pummeled after EC lost 5-1 to Naz (whom Utica beat last week) the night before. Perhaps the Eagles responded to a reaming like UC got postgame tonight. We'll see if UC responds similarly next week.
        There was one UC odd-man that I recognized, but EC snuffed it out at the net.

The game was such a mess for Utica that it was difficult to discern if Heenan had another agenda, or not... But I sure hope he lets his team play natural hockey, and take its chances. His "systems" have failed time after time.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-14-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Wow, wow, wow... If the live stats were accurate, UC just lost a game that absolutely should have been a gimme. (And there was an ENG?)

Guess we're looking at yet another year as an also-ran.

I realize that UC puts posteriors in the seats unlike any other D-3 program, so why in the world can't it consistently recruit as such?

17 years with only one NCAA bid represents a huge under-achievement for Heenan. I'd be happy seeing a change there. His departed assistants have fared better at lesser programs, FCS.

Edit: the GWG was amended as a PPG. Makes a lot more sense. Sorry!
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-17-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Wow, wow, wow... If the live stats were accurate, UC just lost a game that absolutely should have been a gimme. (And there was an ENG?)

Guess we're looking at yet another year as an also-ran.

I realize that UC puts posteriors in the seats unlike any other D-3 program, so why in the world can't it consistently recruit as such?

17 years with only one NCAA bid represents a huge under-achievement for Heenan. I'd be happy seeing a change there. His departed assistants have fared better at lesser programs, FCS.

Edit: the GWG was amended as a PPG. Makes a lot more sense. Sorry!

I think Lebanon Valley is better than people think, but this one is a surprise.

Comment

Wow, the excitement balloon I had for this team had some air let out last weekend and tonight it popped. Only other loss to LVC was first year of Pioneers' program in '01.

Comment

Only two losses and you guys are saying the season is over? You can’t win them all...just ask RIT!
                2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                  Only two losses and you guys are saying the season is over? You can’t win them all...just ask RIT!
                  True, but the bar is pretty high if a team has no other route to the tournament aside from an AL bid, and last night was a major misstep as far as that goes. (And why did Dill mind the net, barring injuries? He's by far the 3rd option IMO.)

Stevenson is good; possibly as good as any team in the East right now. A win vs. them on the road tonight will right the ship for the time being.

I don't consider that likely, but it's certainly possible.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

True, but the bar is pretty high if a team has no other route to the tournament aside from an AL bid, and last night was a major misstep as far as that goes.

Stevenson is good; possibly as good as any team in the East right now. A win vs. them on the road tonight will right the ship for the time being.

I don't consider that likely, but it's certainly possible.
                    Chatham ??

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      Chatham ??
                      Yes. Misread the schedule. Never mind!

(It's hard for an old goat like me to keep-up with multiple games on multiple devices... I blame The Warden for streaming it on a smallish phone. Should have had a clue when UC started pouring goals in from the get-go.)

9-1 now, certainly this drag is in the bag. It's a W, but nothing close to a quality W. Stopped the bleeding for now, anyway.

Comment

Well, it wasn't all that much fun to watch such a lop-sided game, but UC certainly showed up and played solid fundamental hockey from the start.

Tomorrow looks to be a totally different game. Salve will be coming off a frustrating loss, while Utica basically played a scrimmage tonight. Hope Heenan has the guys' attention. This could very possibly represent a quality win that UC will need if they want to earn an AL bid.

(Any of you know if Virtanen is injured? He wasn't even dressed tonight... Baggetta has looked fine, but Dill doesn't offer real any depth in goal.)

Comment

To answer my own question, Virtanen is obviously healthy... He was absolutely All-World tonight. Salve completely dominated the 1st tonight, but Patrick saved UC's bacon.

Utica woke up and carried the last 2 periods, but Saive's 1st and 2nd lines are big, strong, fast and talented. As good a team as I've seen all year. I predict this one will indeed look like a quality win at the end of the RS, and it was extremely entertaining to watch.

Comment

Quality win at Rye. M'ville is building a decent resume, but the UCHC isn't all that as a whole. (I blame Hobart!)

Tomorrow will be a slam-dunk vs. King's, and 8-2 at this point doesn't suck.

Comment

... but the UCHC isn't all that as a whole. (I blame Hobart!)
                              The latest D3Hockey poll had 0 / nil / nada / null / zero UCHC teams in the top 15. That's a first in my recollection, and a sad legacy for a once proud conference.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                                The latest D3Hockey poll had 0 / nil / nada / null / zero UCHC teams in the top 15. That's a first in my recollection, and a sad legacy for a once proud conference.
                                Elmira is doing work in out of conference with wins over Geneseo and Hobart.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X