This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.
    Really???

Part of the big reason to go there is BECAUSE OF the people.

And Mookie is kind everywhere, whether appreciated or not. All of mookie's efforts are inward directed behavior-- mookie is who he is because mookie likes it
    He doesn't care how others take it
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Really???

And Mookie is kind everywhere, whether appreciated or not. All of mookie's efforts are inward directed behavior-- mookie is who he is because mookie likes it
      He doesn't care how others take it
      That's mookie. What about you?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Really???

Yes, just not the ones in Times Square.

Walk over into Hell's Kitchen, meet real people, eat real food - pretty simple, and not a strenuous walk even for the average middle American. Night and day difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Yes, just not the ones in Times Square.

Walk over into Hell's Kitchen, meet real people, eat real food - pretty simple, and not a strenuous walk even for the average middle American. Night and day difference.
          Do both.

There's no good reason to avoid Times Square if you are a tourist. Just like there are good reasons to go to many other areas in Manhattan.

Why restrict yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Do both.

There's no good reason to avoid Times Square if you are a tourist. Just like there are good reasons to go to many other areas in Manhattan.

Why restrict yourself?
            Exactly. It's like refusing to go to Bourbon Street on your first visit to New Orleans or skipping the beach the first time you see Miami.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

No. Times Square is awful. It's one of those ultra famous places that's still not worth visiting, like Pike Place in Seattle, Circus Circus in Vegas now that it s-cks, or Faneuil Hall. You're not getting any experience in those places except an ironic, once-removed experience of the fame and recognition of the place, which you can get just by looking at it on TV. You don't actually see anything authentic at all.

NYC has 10,000 fascinating places to go, including just making a random turn and walking and watching. Don't bother with what is just a glorified ESPNZone.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pike Place is worth it, just don't spend a whole day there. You meant to say the Space Needle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  No. Times Square is awful. It's one of those ultra famous places that's still not worth visiting, like Pike Place in Seattle, Circus Circus in Vegas now that it s-cks, or Faneuil Hall. You're not getting any experience in those places except an ironic, once-removed experience of the fame and recognition of the place, which you can get just by looking at it on TV. You don't actually see anything authentic at all.

NYC has 10,000 fascinating places to go, including just making a random turn and walking and watching. Don't bother with what is just a glorified ESPNZone.
                  Sorry- but let the traveler decide.

The world isn't up to your opinion. Some people like to see the big ball of twine. Others can see through the fluff around Faneil Hall and see the history that is there- so let them.

Seems like your problem that you can't get a decent experience.

Comment

Pike Place is worth it, just don't spend a whole day there. You meant to say the Space Needle.
                    True story. Looking up at the Space Needle was the last time I passed out. I'm pretty f-cking afraid of heights. I distinctly remember being out in the backyard of my house when I was about 7 and looking up at a 747, and then suddenly feeling like I was out on the wing looking dow--- (thunk).

So I, ya know, avoid heights. I haven't had many bad spells as an adult: once while flying for probably the hundredth time suddenly being fixated on falling (thunk) and another time at the then Sears Tower looking down on the famous skydeck floor (vomit; thunk). The very last time was around '99, just at the base of the Space Needle (which BTW is rundown and seedy as sh-t) and then imagining suddenly climbing up on the outside... (you know).

Also, yeah, the Space Needle sucks, and so does that silly urban monorail thingy that only goes about 200 feet. The thing to do in Seattle is go out to the gardens (name?) and look back to view the city and Rainier in the distance. You can only do it about 100 days a year because of the clouds, but when you see it you'll bust a nut it's so lovely.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017, 01:03 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Sorry- but let the traveler decide.

The world isn't up to your opinion.
                      No. I have been sent here to order all your lives!
                      Cornell University

Comment

The thing to do in Seattle is go out to the gardens (name?) and look back to view the city and Rainier in the distance. You can only do it about 100 days a year because of the clouds, but when you see it you'll bust a nut it's so lovely.
                        Kerry Park

No. I have been sent here to order all your lives!
                        Hey, if he wants to hobnob with his fellow white, suburban rubes from the Rust Belt, he's quite welcome to.

Comment

Hey, if he wants to hobnob with his fellow white, suburban rubes from the Rust Belt, he's quite welcome to.
                          "Midwesterners: Keeping the pickpockets of Times Square flush since 1904."
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Heading into Munich tomorrow. Hallstatt and Salzburgon Sunday.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              True story. Looking up at the Space Needle was the last time I passed out. I'm pretty f-cking afraid of heights. I distinctly remember being out in the backyard of my house when I was about 7 and looking up at a 747, and then suddenly feeling like I was out on the wing looking dow--- (thunk).

So I, ya know, avoid heights. I haven't had many bad spells as an adult: once while flying for probably the hundredth time suddenly being fixated on falling (thunk) and another time at the then Sears Tower looking down on the famous skydeck floor (vomit; thunk). The very last time was around '99, just at the base of the Space Needle (which BTW is rundown and seedy as sh-t) and then imagining suddenly climbing up on the outside... (you know).

Also, yeah, the Space Needle sucks, and so does that silly urban monorail thingy that only goes about 200 feet. The thing to do in Seattle is go out to the gardens (name?) and look back to view the city and Rainier in the distance. You can only do it about 100 days a year because of the clouds, but when you see it you'll bust a nut it's so lovely.
                              You, too? Whoda thunk we'd have another thing in common.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

New York isn't until November, we still have to head back to Havana first.

Comment

Working...
                                X