X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elmira College 2013-14

Originally posted by altazo View Post
    Cool to know.

Was it a D2/D3 combined National tournament in 1980? I'm pretty certain Mankato has never been classified as a D3 team.
    Very good observtion, it was D2/D3 at the time, Merrimack and Loweel were the other teams I believe.
    Could be wrong there though.

Comment

[QUOTE=headsup;5767300]Very good observtion, it was D2/D3 at the time, Merrimack and Loweel were the other teams I believe.
      .[/QUOTE
      Sorry 'bout the spelling, observation and Lowell ]

Comment

The DII tournament back in those days was very hard to get in to. Much harder than today. The top teams back then were Elmira, Army, Oswego, Platty, Merrimack, Lowell, Bemidji, Mankato. The road to the FF was brutal and I don't ever remember hearing the term DIII hockey at that point. In those days there was no St. Norbert, RIT, Utica. Teams like Norwich, Middlebury and Amherst were middle of the pack and teams with names like North Adams, New Haven, University of Buffalo existed.

In 1981, Plattsburgh (27-3) had to travel to Oswego (26-2) in the ECAC West Finals with the winner advancing to the FF. And that was for the last slot !!

EDit: Plattsburgh won 7-6 in one of the best DII games in history with 4 unanswered 3rd period goals at Romney !!

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
          The DII tournament back in those days was very hard to get in to. Much harder than today. The top teams back then were Elmira, Army, Oswego, Platty, Merrimack, Lowell, Bemidji, Mankato. The road to the FF was brutal and I don't ever remember hearing the term DIII hockey at that point. In those days there was no St. Norbert, RIT, Utica. Teams like Norwich, Middlebury and Amherst were middle of the pack and teams with names like North Adams, New Haven, University of Buffalo existed.

In 1981, Plattsburgh (27-3) had to travel to Oswego (26-2) in the ECAC West Finals with the winner advancing to the FF. And that was for the last slot !!

EDit: Plattsburgh won 7-6 in one of the best DII games in history with 4 unanswered 3rd period gafter toals at Romney !!
          I remember going to a game in Lowell as a Oswego recruit,I was in the area,,think it was around 82ish, great atmosphere in that rink for sure, I think they got smoked in a mini game type series not sure??

Comment

Whomever had the idea of the mini-game back in the early 80's should be held accountable. Although Plattsburgh won more of those than they lost, it always seemed unfair and utterly ridiculous. How can you fight like heck all year, advance to the playoffs and have it decided in 5 minutes ?? What was the hurry to get the game done anyway?? A lot of great teams bit the dust because of those games. Teams never knew what strategy to use when your whole season was riding on a 5 minute "period". There was also games that went beyond the mini to the dreaded shootout. I actually like the best of 3 series' used in the early 2000's. But the conferences are too cheap these days and the NCAA doesn't allow more that 30 games I believe. Heck, one year Plattsburgh played 41 !!

Comment

Whomever had the idea of the mini-game back in the early 80's should be held accountable. Although Plattsburgh won more of those than they lost, it always seemed unfair and utterly ridiculous. How can you fight like heck all year, advance to the playoffs and have it decided in 5 minutes ?? What was the hurry to get the game done anyway?? A lot of great teams bit the dust because of those games. Teams never knew what strategy to use when your whole season was riding on a 5 minute "period". There was also games that went beyond the mini to the dreaded shootout. I actually like the best of 3 series' used in the early 2000's. But the conferences are too cheap these days and the NCAA doesn't allow more that 30 games I believe. Heck, one year Plattsburgh played 41 !!
              Dang. A 5 minute mini game does seem kinda crazy. At least the mini game format used most recently in the NCHA was 20 minutes...

Comment

In those days there was no St. Norbert, RIT, Utica.
                Even though this was before I was even born, I have to differ with you on one of these: RIT, who won the DII Championship in 1983. Granted, that was their only NCAA Tournament appearance (somewhat corroborating what you said about it being hard to get into the tourny), but they won the championship once, so you can't really say they were of no significance back then.

(Then again, the same can be applied to Neumann because of 2009)
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I was talking more about the late 1970's and very early 80's when RIT played more a D3 schedule. They quickly got real good when Brian Mason got there and did win it all in '83. If I'm not mistaken, D2 as we knew it ended at about this time. I didn't mean to slight RIT, they just were not a factor in the time period I was referring to.

Comment

I was talking more about the late 1970's and very early 80's when RIT played more a D3 schedule. They quickly got real good when Brian Mason got there and did win it all in '83. If I'm not mistaken, D2 as we knew it ended at about this time. I didn't mean to slight RIT, they just were not a factor in the time period I was referring to.
                    D-III held its first NCAA tourney in 1984, won by Babson. D-II also played in 1984 with Bemidji St claiming the crown. D-II languished (no titles) from 85-92 and then resurfaced (restructured) in 1993 with NCAA Championships until 1999 (won by St. Michaels) after which D-II championships were discontinued. The period 1993-1999 is the only time span which saw NCAA titles in all three divisions. Full listing at http://www.thebeaverpond.com/hockey_champs.htm
                    D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

I thought the Mini games were 15 mins. In the case where Elmira lost to WRF in the mini game, it was due to a couple of things. 1) After loosing game #1 on Friday, Elmira HAD to win Saturday, WRF only needed a tie. Elmira came out hustling and took control of the game, when Rivers Falls knew they were going to loose the game, they backed off and saved what they had for the mini game, Elmira couldn't afford to do that. I was at those games and there hasn't been anything that can compare to that weekend, Yet :-)
                      Last edited by jconnor; 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM.
                      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
                        I thought the Mini games were 15 mins. In the case where Elmira lost to WRF in the mini game, it was due to a couple of things. 1) After loosing game #1 on Friday, Elmira HAD to win Saturday, WRF only needed a tie. Elmira came out hustling and took control of the game, when Rivers Falls knew they were going to loose the game, they backed off and saved what they had for the mini game, Elmira couldn't afford to do that. I was at those games and there hasn't been anything that can compare to that weekend, Yet :-)
                        We didn't have mini games in the ECAC East, but there were mini games in the NCAA quarters until the tournament expanded past 8 teams. I remember that mini games in the NCAA were 10 minutes long, and then devolved into sudden death. Eventually the NCAA made the minigame 20 minutes as a fairer test. To me, the best plan would be a race to 3 points, with a full game (plus infinite length OT, if needed) to determine the winner if points are 2-2 after 2 games.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I know we beat Babson in a mini game 3 in 87 to advance, seemed unfair at the time to babson as well, who knows, there are always non-hockey isssues that seem to get in the way.....30 31 games whatever it takes

Comment

The Minigame (or the DMG) is a complete period (20 mins).

From what I was told by a Salem old timer, they went into the DMG and got hit with a bench minor for failure to fill out the lineup before the DMG (and then lost).
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Schedule is out.
                              http://athletics.elmira.edu/mobile/i...0&path=mhockey

Comment

EC final schedule now has Utica coming to Elmira twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X