Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Thoughts on the past season:

If it were not for a couple of strange bounces (Two shots that had they changed course by an inch or two would have gone in rather than hitting iron, and a shot that was the game winner except we have a player checked into the net and he inadvertently make the save) of the puck, we would be on top of the world for finally winning an NCAA game, and probably still practicing for the upcoming Frozen Four Rather, we are still complaining that the monkey is still on our back.

Did Daniel Brickley cost us the game. I don't know, but his play this season and certainly in Sioux Falls was not what you would expect for a player who most of the NHL teams want. Was he trying too hard to do too much? Or is he not that good. I'm going to guess he was trying to do too much.

Next, and this is by no means disrespect for the teams in the WCHA. We need to get into the NCHC. Simply put the caliber of play in the NCHC (Top to bottom) is much better than the WCHA. Much of the season in our league, we can put in a clunker of a period, or even a so so game and still win. Subconsciously, the players know that they don't always have to put in a Grade "A" effort to win games. Then come playoffs and the NCAA, we are over matched, because our strength of schedule is weaker than our opponents, and we are not used to putting in a full 60 minutes of hockey. Our non conference schedule was good (every non conference team we played was in the NCAA), and if those games were at the end of the season, we might have been better prepared.

Finally, why is our arena the most difficult to get into. Do they really have to ask me every time, I enter, if I have any guns on me (one particular security individual asks me every single time that I am unfortunate enough to go through his line)? This year, I went to games in Boston (a much larger city), Marquette, St. Cloud (a larger city), Bemidji, and Sioux Falls (another larger city). Every other facility was much easier to enter, and no long waiting lines.

All in all, I think that we really had a good year, but it is disappointing to lose our last game like we did, and that masks all the good of the season (more wins than any other team in the country).

What do I see next year. We will certainly be contenders for the WCHA. We had an excellent Freshman class and if the incoming class is half as good as this years, we should be able to score. My question is with the goaltending. Pawloski had every chance to win the job this year but couldn't. He seems to be hot and cold, and that won't get us far. Hopefully, one of the incoming goalies will step up and do the job. Without great goaltending, we cannot go far. Our best 2 years ever, we had goalies named Williams and LaCouvee. This is not a coincidence.

Travelling to many out of town games provided me the opportunity to meet many other fans, both Maverick and opposing team fans, and I had great times. Hopefully this will continue next year as I plan to go to North Dakota, Arizona, and a few other WCHA arenas.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      He will definitely get a call.

Mavericks should be able to match any salary that SCSU gives as an offer.

Hastings will have to decide if moving his family up to St. Cloud, with his son in HS, and his daughter a freshman softball player here, is worth coaching at his alma mater and moving into the NCHC.
      My guess is that he would think it would be worth it. Coaching at the school he went to and coaching in the NCHC has a lot of pull to it. If he does indeed go there I can see Cary Eades of the Fargo Force getting a good look to replace him at Kato
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
        My guess is that he would think it would be worth it. Coaching at the school he went to and coaching in the NCHC has a lot of pull to it. If he does indeed go there I can see Cary Eades of the Fargo Force getting a good look to replace him at Kato
        To you that may make sense.

He’s making almost $350,000 a year for the next 8 years here, doesn’t have to uproot his family if he stays, and as I mentioned, the belief is that the Mavs will be in the NCHC in the next 2-4 years. (This could have changed, but was what I was told mid season.) There are a lot of reasons to stay right now, as well.

We ultimately don’t know what he’ll do, but we do know St. Cloud would be foolish not to give him a call.

If Mike leaves Mankato, I think there’s a very good likelihood Todd Knott takes over here in Mankato. I know Mike Guentzel would get the opportunity if he wanted it, too.
        Last edited by MavHockey14; 03-28-2018, 09:25 AM.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
          Thoughts on the past season:

If it were not for a couple of strange bounces (Two shots that had they changed course by an inch or two would have gone in rather than hitting iron, and a shot that was the game winner except we have a player checked into the net and he inadvertently make the save) of the puck, we would be on top of the world for finally winning an NCAA game, and probably still practicing for the upcoming Frozen Four Rather, we are still complaining that the monkey is still on our back.

Did Daniel Brickley cost us the game. I don't know, but his play this season and certainly in Sioux Falls was not what you would expect for a player who most of the NHL teams want. Was he trying too hard to do too much? Or is he not that good. I'm going to guess he was trying to do too much.

Next, and this is by no means disrespect for the teams in the WCHA. We need to get into the NCHC. Simply put the caliber of play in the NCHC (Top to bottom) is much better than the WCHA. Much of the season in our league, we can put in a clunker of a period, or even a so so game and still win. Subconsciously, the players know that they don't always have to put in a Grade "A" effort to win games. Then come playoffs and the NCAA, we are over matched, because our strength of schedule is weaker than our opponents, and we are not used to putting in a full 60 minutes of hockey. Our non conference schedule was good (every non conference team we played was in the NCAA), and if those games were at the end of the season, we might have been better prepared.

Finally, why is our arena the most difficult to get into. Do they really have to ask me every time, I enter, if I have any guns on me (one particular security individual asks me every single time that I am unfortunate enough to go through his line)? This year, I went to games in Boston (a much larger city), Marquette, St. Cloud (a larger city), Bemidji, and Sioux Falls (another larger city). Every other facility was much easier to enter, and no long waiting lines.

All in all, I think that we really had a good year, but it is disappointing to lose our last game like we did, and that masks all the good of the season (more wins than any other team in the country).

What do I see next year. We will certainly be contenders for the WCHA. We had an excellent Freshman class and if the incoming class is half as good as this years, we should be able to score. My question is with the goaltending. Pawloski had every chance to win the job this year but couldn't. He seems to be hot and cold, and that won't get us far. Hopefully, one of the incoming goalies will step up and do the job. Without great goaltending, we cannot go far. Our best 2 years ever, we had goalies named Williams and LaCouvee. This is not a coincidence.

Travelling to many out of town games provided me the opportunity to meet many other fans, both Maverick and opposing team fans, and I had great times. Hopefully this will continue next year as I plan to go to North Dakota, Arizona, and a few other WCHA arenas.
          They absolutely must get in the NCHC. Looking at the pairwise, the Mavs played the following teams in the WCHA:

57 Alaska 4 times
          50 FSU 2 times
          51 UAH 4 times
          60 UAA 4 times
          56 LSSU 2 times

That’s 16 games against teams 50 and lower in the pairwise.

Additionally, BSU was 31 in the pairwise, and the Mavs played them 4 times.

20 games in league play against teams 31 or lower in the pairwise.

In the NCHC, the Mavs would’ve played 0. ZERO teams 31 or lower!!

The lowest rated NCHC team in the pairwise was Miami at 29.
          AF 99

Comment

To you that may make sense.

He’s making almost $350,000 a year for the next 8 years here, doesn’t have to uproot his family if he stays, and as I mentioned, the belief is that the Mavs will be in the NCHC in the next 2-4 years. (This could have changed, but was what I was told mid season.) There are a lot of reasons to stay right now, as well.

We ultimately don’t know what he’ll do, but we do know St. Cloud would be foolish not to give him a call.

If Mike leaves Mankato, I think there’s a very good likelihood Todd Knott takes over here in Mankato. I know Mike Guentzel would get the opportunity if he wanted it, too.
            I've yet to read a single solid reason Hastings would leave and no comments regarding if he can leave considering the contract he has at Mankato. I posted earlier that he wasn't going to MN and as it turns out he wasn't one of the four interviewed but unknown who's decision that was. I'll say same thing regarding leaving for SCSU as essentially a lateral move to a school that may not be able to pay him (well reported budget issues and decreasing enrollment has lead to cuts in programs) and that he hasn't been connected to for 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav59 View Post
              I've yet to read a single solid reason Hastings would leave and no comments regarding if he can leave considering the contract he has at Mankato. I posted earlier that he wasn't going to MN and as it turns out he wasn't one of the four interviewed but unknown who's decision that was. I'll say same thing regarding leaving for SCSU as essentially a lateral move to a school that may not be able to pay him (well reported budget issues and decreasing enrollment has lead to cuts in programs) and that he hasn't been connected to for 25 years.
              I’m sorry, but hockey wise St. Cloud State is a step above Minnesota State. They’ve been to a Frozen Four, won NCAA tournament games, and are in a far superior conference. See my last post about the pairwise, the NCHC, and WCHA. It is a HUGE competitive advantage to play in a league with a little more margin for error W/L wise, and much more consistent tough competition. The NCHC is >>>>>> than the WCHA and it’s not close.

Seems like a couple of very good, viable reasons to consider taking the job.
              AF 99

Comment

I’m sorry, but hockey wise St. Cloud State is a step above Minnesota State. They’ve been to a Frozen Four, won NCAA tournament games, and are in a far superior conference. See my last post about the pairwise, the NCHC, and WCHA. It is a HUGE competitive advantage to play in a league with a little more margin for error W/L wise, and much more consistent tough competition. The NCHC is >>>>>> than the WCHA and it’s not close.

Seems like a couple of very good, viable reasons to consider taking the job.
                They're already taking steps to get admission to NCHC and beyond that this would be a lateral move and I'll put about a 1% chance of Hastings leaving or even being considered. I actually think SCSU will look for someone younger/cheaper to grow with program so let's just see how thi splays out as they will need to move quickly to get a staff in place before they lose recruits.

Comment

They're already taking steps to get admission to NCHC and beyond that this would be a lateral move and I'll put about a 1% chance of Hastings leaving or even being considered. I actually think SCSU will look for someone younger/cheaper to grow with program so let's just see how thi splays out as they will need to move quickly to get a staff in place before they lose recruits.
                  They’ve applied to the NCHC and been denied. They don’t hold the cards there, the NCHC does, and honestly, can you find a viable 2nd team to join the NCHC with them?

You’re telling me you think SCSU, who has become a consistent winner in the nation’s top conference, has a recently renovated arena, and is ready to win NOW wants to go the cheap route? They’re going to try and hire the best candidate. Mike Hastings, an alum of their school, will undoubtedly be towards the top of their list; let’s see, hire a young guy or hire a guy who leads the nation in wins since he became an NCAA Head Coach?

I get that you don’t want Hastings to leave, and I don’t either. However, if you think SCSU won’t seriously consider him and Mike won’t do the same, you’re nuts.
                  AF 99

Comment

They’ve applied to the NCHC and been denied. They don’t hold the cards there, the NCHC does, and honestly, can you find a viable 2nd team to join the NCHC with them?

You’re telling me you think SCSU, who has become a consistent winner in the nation’s top conference, has a recently renovated arena, and is ready to win NOW wants to go the cheap route? They’re going to try and hire the best candidate. Mike Hastings, an alum of their school, will undoubtedly be towards the top of their list; let’s see, hire a young guy or hire a guy who leads the nation in wins since he became an NCAA Head Coach?

I get that you don’t want Hastings to leave, and I don’t either. However, if you think SCSU won’t seriously consider him and Mike won’t do the same, you’re nuts.
                    My position has nothing to do with not wanting Hastings to leave, it has to do with what I see of the realities of the programs and how they fit into the overall priorities of the schools. What SCSU "wants" to do and what they "can" do are probably 2 different things.

I've been close to this program since the early 80's and know personally many of the coaches/staff and players and while I profess no insider information I accept that hockey is just one small part of what these schools need to deal with on a daily basis and what may appear to be the main drivers for fans in making decisions are not the same ones the coaches and administration takes into consideration when they need to make decisions.

Comment

They absolutely must get in the NCHC. Looking at the pairwise, the Mavs played the following teams in the WCHA:

57 Alaska 4 times
                      50 FSU 2 times
                      51 UAH 4 times
                      60 UAA 4 times
                      56 LSSU 2 times

That’s 16 games against teams 50 and lower in the pairwise.

Additionally, BSU was 31 in the pairwise, and the Mavs played them 4 times.

20 games in league play against teams 31 or lower in the pairwise.

In the NCHC, the Mavs would’ve played 0. ZERO teams 31 or lower!!

The lowest rated NCHC team in the pairwise was Miami at 29.
                      To me, it's more basic than the Pairwise. It's getting quality players to come in. No matter how good your program is, top-notch players aren't going to come in to a conference where they won't match up against other top-notch players. We had 1 NHL draft pick on our roster this year, and will have none next year. CC had 1, and every other NCHC team had more than that. Poehling, Borgstrom, Allison, Mismash, Tufte, Samberg - All 1st or 2nd round picks.
                      To analogize to the NHL, we're the Wild. A lot of good quality players, a consistent winner, but unable to get over the hump against the Kanes, Toews, and Tarasenkos of the world. Coach Hastings has done a great job grabbing the late bloomers and the diamonds in the rough, but to win in post-season, we need more talent.

Comment

I'll say same thing regarding leaving for SCSU as essentially a lateral move to a school that may not be able to pay him (well reported budget issues and decreasing enrollment has lead to cuts in programs) and that he hasn't been connected to for 25 years.
                        The budget issues didn't stop them from paying Motzko, not sure how you figure they wouldn't be able to pay Hastings.

Lateral move? St. Cloud has won the regular season title in arguably toughest conference in the country in 3 of the past 6 years.

I still think it's more likely Hastings stays than leaves, but I don't know how you could think there is zero chance he takes the SCSU job.
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I’m sorry, but hockey wise St. Cloud State is a step above Minnesota State.
                          The better question might be what does St. Cloud State offer that Omaha didn't.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

My position has nothing to do with not wanting Hastings to leave, it has to do with what I see of the realities of the programs and how they fit into the overall priorities of the schools. What SCSU "wants" to do and what they "can" do are probably 2 different things.

I've been close to this program since the early 80's and know personally many of the coaches/staff and players and while I profess no insider information I accept that hockey is just one small part of what these schools need to deal with on a daily basis and what may appear to be the main drivers for fans in making decisions are not the same ones the coaches and administration takes into consideration when they need to make decisions.
                            So what would be the driving factors why SCSU wouldn’t want to hire Mike Hastings?

It’s been pretty clearly laid out why he’d want to stay, and the benefits of leaving. Clearly you don’t think the conference and type of players and competition, as well as the commitment from the schools in your conference matters from a hockey standpoint. I wholeheartedly disagree, but that’s your opinion.

As has been pretty well established, I’ve been fortunate to be very close with the program for many years as well, and clearly have a different outlook on this than you. Interesting, nonetheless.
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              The better question might be what does St. Cloud State offer that Omaha didn't.
                              Mankato gave Hastings a 10 year deal including a lot of $ for upgrades to Verizon Center when Omaha made their advances so St. Cloud would need to better than in my opinion and just being in the NCHC isn't even close to a difference maker in my opinion.

Comment

So what would be the driving factors why SCSU wouldn’t want to hire Mike Hastings?

It’s been pretty clearly laid out why he’d want to stay, and the benefits of leaving. Clearly you don’t think the conference and type of players and competition, as well as the commitment from the schools in your conference matters from a hockey standpoint. I wholeheartedly disagree, but that’s your opinion.

As has been pretty well established, I’ve been fortunate to be very close with the program for many years as well, and clearly have a different outlook on this than you. Interesting, nonetheless.
                                Didn't say SCSU wouldn't be interested in Hastings, my point was there are too many factors working against that happening. I can continue to state why that's my thoughts on this and I won't change your mind and that's fine so i'm just willing to wait and see as SCSU will move quickly on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X