X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Game notes: http://rpiathletics.com/documents/20...es_BRO_YAL.pdf

Someone needs to fix the last time we won in OT at home...
    They want us to follow Yale on Friday and Brown on Saturday????
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

I know, I know, "if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...," but seriously. We've pⅰssed away six points now. We could be fighting for a bye and instead we're going to struggle to even earn home ice.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        I know, I know, "if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...," but seriously. We've pⅰssed away six points now. We could be fighting for a bye and instead we're going to struggle to even earn home ice.
        For the last month, the bulk of the scoring has been Wilson, Liljegren and Jerry. What happened to Hayhurst, Tironese and Reilly.
        Marshall has been great, and he has very little to show for it.
        The overall team play has been good, but if you don't score, you don't win.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        Gary Player

Comment

SA put it pretty bluntly. Your chances of winning are not very good if you don't score at least 3 goals per game. What has their goals for average been the last 4 games......1.25. I listened last night and the common refrain I heard from Perry on Play by Play.....,missed the net, shot is wide, shot is over the net. The first order of business in scoring is to shoot on net. Clearly this team is not filled with snipers. What do other teams do with a similar problem? They put the puck on the net and have players go to the net. If you miss the net, you don't score on the shot and have zero chance for any rebound. And average 1.25 goals per game.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
            SA put it pretty bluntly. Your chances of winning are not very good if you don't score at least 3 goals per game. What has their goals for average been the last 4 games......1.25. I listened last night and the common refrain I heard from Perry on Play by Play.....,missed the net, shot is wide, shot is over the net. The first order of business in scoring is to shoot on net. Clearly this team is not filled with snipers. What do other teams do with a similar problem? They put the puck on the net and have players go to the net. If you miss the net, you don't score on the shot and have zero chance for any rebound. And average 1.25 goals per game.
            Maybe we will have such a player next year in Jakub Lacka (27). His goal yesterday:

I would not mind mind getting Stachowiak also. The 'Tute would have to find a Polish flag.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Maybe we will have such a player next year in Jakub Lacka (27). His goal yesterday:

I would not mind mind getting Stachowiak also. The 'Tute would have to find a Polish flag.
              That’s the player they signed that made them release Babichuk, so that would be an interesting twist. I wouldn’t mind either.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                And when we hit the net, it goes right into the goalie. Perhaps we're trying for deflections?

There was one key the Perry made that you aren't taking into account, and that was about the one Wilson DID get. It was a much more controlled shot. You think we might be trying to get too excited? I recall saying "simmer down" a few times over the past few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Don't we have a recruit thread?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Don't we have a recruit thread?
                    We do, of course, but I was trying to illustrate a point.
                    I had debated posting this there earlier but decided that although Lacka scored the goal, it was mostly WS's goal. Only after reading 25+'s post, I figured that it was relevant here.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                      That’s the player they signed that made them release Babichuk, so that would be an interesting twist. I wouldn’t mind either.
                      I had forgotten that, but you are correct. Babichuk appears to be in Surrey's doghouse now, dressing infrequently and getting little ice time when he does dress.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post

You can’t score if you don’t pass the puck. The only true passers on this team are Tironese and Polino. The rest just shoot the puck, high, wide and no where near the net. A prime example... last night we had an opportunity to win the game late in the 3rd. There was a mini 2 on 1 with Vik and Polino, the defender slid to Vik and Polino was wide open. All Vik needed to do was slide the puck over and it was a tap In goal. Instead he keeps his head down and shoots high and wide. That’s just one example from last night.

More importantly our coach lost that game last night. When the icing was called he should have called a time out. And set the line and positions he wanted. Instead he sneaks Marello onto the ice (and the refs allowed it) and has Jerry and Vik too. What kind of line is that at a crucial point in the game. Tironese is chasing down the puck when the icing is called and he’s on the bench and Marello is out instead. Jerry and Vik are the last two who should be chasing down point men in that crucial situation.

Comment

Since January 1st, we have only scored more than two goals in one game, and that was a loss to Dartmouth.
                          It makes one wonder what effect York had on our forwards. Tironese and Hayhurst have been non existent.
                          Marshall has had to be great in every game, and yet Smith thought it was a good idea to keep him in for the entire game last night.
                          I have to believe that Perry will be gone next year. The Red Wings can't be happy with the way he has been used this year.
                          Just when it looked like they were making progress, they threw in a game that looked like they never met each other.
                          The second period, they were running around all over the ice. Not knowing where to go or what to do.
                          This is the first time that I am glad to have next weeks game on the schedule. We need a game that doesn't mean anything to try and right the ship.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          Gary Player

Comment

Here is an article from today's Albany Times Union with below the fold placement on the front page...

Very interesting reading. Glad to hear some alums are adding their voices to critical student comments on the state of the 'Tute.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...g-12512869.php
                            Last edited by fr. joe; 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Since January 1st, we have only scored more than two goals in one game, and that was a loss to Dartmouth.
                              It makes one wonder what effect York had on our forwards. Tironese and Hayhurst have been non existent.
                              Marshall has had to be great in every game, and yet Smith thought it was a good idea to keep him in for the entire game last night.
                              I have to believe that Perry will be gone next year. The Red Wings can't be happy with the way he has been used this year.
                              Just when it looked like they were making progress, they threw in a game that looked like they never met each other.
                              The second period, they were running around all over the ice. Not knowing where to go or what to do.
                              This is the first time that I am glad to have next weeks game on the schedule. We need a game that doesn't mean anything to try and right the ship.
                              Yale skated circles around our team. After a decent first period during which they played under control and limited mistakes the speed of the game got away from them in the second and third. Our fastest guys would be average on their team. As a result everything was hurried. The reason they missed the net on shots and were off in so many passes was because they rushed everything to get it off before getting overtaken by a defender or having the passing lane cut off. Giving up two goals while short handed after altercations started by Yale somehow led to Bulldog powerplays didn’t help, but Yale just had higher average skill levels. I was impressed with Jaren Burke who kept his large body working through 3 periods when some of his teammates appeared ready for the ride home. I don’t know if he has D1 skills but he appears to have a D1 heart.
                              Last edited by rpi82; 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I agree EHF - the direction of the upperclassmen seems similar to previous regime even under new management. Consistent downward trend - for almost all of them. Long stretches of invisibility. Poor decision making. Jared Wilson and Liljegren should be standout performers and leaders on this team - I just don’t see it. It makes it doubly hard to get excited about incoming recruits - I can’t point to that many that have panned out and grown over the last 10 years. A glint if good and they leave. Otherwise, they regress.

I welcome the clearinghouse Smith is attempting, if nothing else to try something totally different.

Happy Sunday!
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X