This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Guys, I'm starting to wonder if the poster who just signed up for this board once BU had a head coach vacancy and only posts here to say positive things about Rick Bennett should be considered a credible source.
    Agreed, although in fairness I’m not sure he ever claimed to know anything or have inside info and was mostly offering opinion.

Personally I’d be pretty shocked if Bennett is the next head coach.

Comment

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
      Sixty Minute Man - Clyde McPhatter (Later of The Drifters)
      Seventeen - Winger
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by nick papagiorgio View Post
        seventeen - winger
        lol
        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
        BC - 12
        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

So far, through various sources (some more reliable than others), it seems the following names have been mentioned in some way, shape or form as potential candidates to replace Quinn:

Albie O'Connell
          Joe Sacco
          Jay Pandolfo
          Steve Greeley
          Shawn McEachern
          Clark Donatelli
          Len Quesnelle
          Rick Bennett
          Nate Leaman
          Norm Bazin

My $.02:

It will be a BU guy. There isn't a need to strongly consider non-BU candidates, even if they may be well-qualified, as the current state of BU Hockey doesn't require a shake-up as much as continuity with some fine-tuning.

Albie, Sacco, Pandolfo and Greeley seem to be the names that come up the most. Most BU fans I've been in touch with want (and believe) Albie will be the next HC.

However, 2 people I've talked to think Greeley could be given strong consideration. Also, a former player whom I'm connected to has heard Pandolfo might be the preferred choice.

Admittedly the pool of candidates supposedly in consideration isn't quite as strong as when Parker retired. However, it's a quality pool of candidates that most programs in this situation would clamor for.

My preference is for Albie. He brings continuity to the players, staff and fans/donors. This is presumably his dream job. We all know how proficient a recruiter he is; however I have questions on whether he can be that good from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint.

Sacco is well-qualified from a coaching standpoint. However, what might his level of commitment/interest be in recruiting and the behind-the-scenes stuff (dealing with staff, administration, fans, donors)? And if the right NHL opportunity arose, might he return to the NHL?

Pandolfo has a lot of upside. Played the game the right way as a player and has quickly risen through the player development/coaching ranks. I think he could be terrific from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint, and may have greater inclination to stay long-term if successful.

Greeley has a terrific hockey mind, communication and interpersonal skills. However, his coaching experience is so limited that he would need strong, experienced assistants who can share the player development and in-game coaching duties. And is the NHL GM track a better fit for his career aspirations?

I think Albie would be the smart choice. However, I would also be very excited if Pandolfo was named the next HC. I was very impressed with Greeley the few times I met him when he was on the staff, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. With Sacco, I question whether he could smoothly make the transition to college hockey after being a NHL HC/AC for many years without having one eye looking at the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
            So far, through various sources (some more reliable than others), it seems the following names have been mentioned in some way, shape or form as potential candidates to replace Quinn:

Albie O'Connell
            Joe Sacco
            Jay Pandolfo
            Steve Greeley
            Shawn McEachern
            Clark Donatelli
            Len Quesnelle
            Rick Bennett
            Nate Leaman
            Norm Bazin

My $.02:

It will be a BU guy. There isn't a need to strongly consider non-BU candidates, even if they may be well-qualified, as the current state of BU Hockey doesn't require a shake-up as much as continuity with some fine-tuning.

Albie, Sacco, Pandolfo and Greeley seem to be the names that come up the most. Most BU fans I've been in touch with want (and believe) Albie will be the next HC.

However, 2 people I've talked to think Greeley could be given strong consideration. Also, a former player whom I'm connected to has heard Pandolfo might be the preferred choice.

Admittedly the pool of candidates supposedly in consideration isn't quite as strong as when Parker retired. However, it's a quality pool of candidates that most programs in this situation would clamor for.

My preference is for Albie. He brings continuity to the players, staff and fans/donors. This is presumably his dream job. We all know how proficient a recruiter he is; however I have questions on whether he can be that good from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint.

Sacco is well-qualified from a coaching standpoint. However, what might his level of commitment/interest be in recruiting and the behind-the-scenes stuff (dealing with staff, administration, fans, donors)? And if the right NHL opportunity arose, might he return to the NHL?

Pandolfo has a lot of upside. Played the game the right way as a player and has quickly risen through the player development/coaching ranks. I think he could be terrific from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint, and may have greater inclination to stay long-term if successful.

Greeley has a terrific hockey mind, communication and interpersonal skills. However, his coaching experience is so limited that he would need strong, experienced assistants who can share the player development and in-game coaching duties. And is the NHL GM track a better fit for his career aspirations?

I think Albie would be the smart choice. However, I would also be very excited if Pandolfo was named the next HC. I was very impressed with Greeley the few times I met him when he was on the staff, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. With Sacco, I question whether he could smoothly make the transition to college hockey after being a NHL HC/AC for many years without having one eye looking at the NHL.

Good stuff. I am in agreement that the natural fit is Albie. He has 14+ years of assistant coaching under some great coaches and his recruiting prowess is well known. I think he has to be the guy in order to keep the commits they have offered. Additionally, if they pass over Albie then I assume he will hit the road and losing Quinn/Albie wouldnt be a good thing. The caveat is if Albie wants to just be an asst. coach and enjoys the player recruiting side and possibly eyes a scouting/GM role at the next level. Then having a Pandolfo/Albie coaching staff would be great.

- Dont see Sacco as a fit for the same reasons you mentioned.
            - Greeley seems to have GM aspirations and is in a good spot - unless he misses coaching.
            - Would be thrilled to have Bazin or Leaman but they are both in good places and have contracts in place.
            - Donatelli, Quesnelle, Bennett, McEachern are no's for me as head coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              - Donatelli, Quesnelle, Bennett, McEachern are no's for me as head coaches.
              But I think any one of those should be in consideration for assistant coaches. And as someone mentioned earlier - see if we could snag Joe Pereira from UConn. Also - Albie, Pandolfo and Joe P are all former captains. Might not mean anything but I think that's interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                But I think any one of those should be in consideration for assistant coaches. And as someone mentioned earlier - see if we could snag Joe Pereira from UConn. Also - Albie, Pandolfo and Joe P are all former captains. Might not mean anything but I think that's interesting.
                Absolutely agree. Great asst coaches just wouldnt thrill me as head coaches right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  FWIW personally I would prefer Greeley, but from an outside perspective looking at his career track I would be surprised if he was interested in this job. Short of that it would be hard to do better than Albie, IMO, but then that leaves an important assistant coach vacancy to fill.
                  I was surprised, too, to hear from a knowledgeable source that Greeley is interested in the HC job, especially since he recently applied for the Carolina GM job. (And there are rumors that he turned it down--but why would he do that?). Also hearing that McEachern is interested as well. He's considered to be a good Xs and Os guy, very articulate and can show potential recruits a Stanley Cup ring on both hands.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                    I was surprised, too, to hear from a knowledgeable source that Greeley is interested in the HC job, especially since he recently applied for the Carolina GM job. (And there are rumors that he turned it down--but why would he do that?). Also hearing that McEachern is interested as well. He's considered to be a good Xs and Os guy, very articulate and can show potential recruits a Stanley Cup ring on both hands.
                    I'd like to see McEachern, especiallly if Albie stays on as associate HC. The assistants do most of the recruiting, not the HC. Albie and Len are doing great in that role. HC comes in to seal the deal, and the rings will help with that. Also, he has his degree. I think some on the list do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      The caveat is if Albie wants to just be an asst. coach and enjoys the player recruiting side and possibly eyes a scouting/GM role at the next level. Then having a Pandolfo/Albie coaching staff would be great.
                      I was thinking the same thing. Not everyone that is really good as an assistant is destined to be a HC, and some people who know what their strengths are may be willing to stay in their current role, rather than get promoted and fail.

Pandolfo vs. Sacco as HC would be an interesting debate. They both have name recognition (for recruiting purposes) but different. Pandolfo for his long playing career and Sacco for being an NHL HC. Pandolfo seems like a quieter guy and I have more trouble picturing him in the role, but not really with a very good reason. Sacco left BU a year early and his NHL career never really got traction. Pandolfo was a stellar, though never flashy, two way forward who had a very strong 4-year career and parlayed that into a regular NHL role for many years. Maybe we could have a Burlington vs. Medford scrimmage to see who gets the gig :-)

I could see McEachern as a dark horse, as I think he has gotten very good reviews for the work he has done at Rivers. But it probably makes sense for him to start as an assistant.

Either way, it is very intriguing...
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Admittedly the pool of candidates supposedly in consideration isn't quite as strong as when Parker retired.
                        Yeah, all three names being tossed around that time are now NHL head coaches!
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I know he likely would not be the popular choice on this board (and probably a long shot candidate) but I wonder if Bavis has thrown his hat in the ring?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                            I was surprised, too, to hear from a knowledgeable source that Greeley is interested in the HC job, especially since he recently applied for the Carolina GM job. (And there are rumors that he turned it down--but why would he do that?).
                            Because Carolina ownership is a $hit $how.

Comment

brady Thachuk comments

1. First-round feedback
                              Tkachuk said he'd like to be in the NHL next season but did not rule out returning to Boston University for a second season.

"I think it's really too early to decide on that yet," he said. "I believe in myself that after a strong summer and working my hardest this summer I deserve the chance to play in a training camp and hopefully make an NHL roster. But at the end of the day it's what the team wants, and if I feel like I'm not ready it's another year to develop. I'm going to wait and see until the draft, have all the options on the table and talk to my family, my advisor and the team and make a decision from there."

Tkachuk said the coaching change at Boston University would not affect his decision. David Quinn left to become coach of the New York Rangers on May 23. BU has yet to hire his replacement.

"Whoever the new coach is is going to be an awesome coach," Brady said. "We're going to be in good hands."

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                                Tkachuk said he'd like to be in the NHL next season but did not rule out returning to Boston University for a second season...

Tkachuk said the coaching change at Boston University would not affect his decision. David Quinn left to become coach of the New York Rangers on May 23. BU has yet to hire his replacement.

"Whoever the new coach is is going to be an awesome coach," Brady said. "We're going to be in good hands."
                                Brady Tkachuk is a sharp kid. Things look bright going forward whoever the new coach is going to be...

New folks have to start someplace.

Comment

Working...
                                X