This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
    This teams has a ways to go. St. Lawrence and State needed to be sweeps. UND needed to be a split. Just absolutely killer.
    I'll accept what happened with NoDak (although a sweep would've been nice), but like I posted, losing to unranked teams cannot happen. We're expecting better things this year and it's time to surge on. I hope the fact that Donnie is gone and Tony on loan to Team USA, doesn't affect this team.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      I'll accept what happened with NoDak (although a sweep would've been nice), but like I posted, losing to unranked teams cannot happen. We're expecting better things this year and it's time to surge on. I hope the fact that Donnie is gone and Tony on loan to Team USA, doesn't affect this team.
      Getting shutout by a non-ranked opponent nonetheless. I believe I posted about it on one of the hockey sites I visit, maybe this one, but if you watch the offensive forecheck it is different than last year. There’s a lot of sitting back. There needs to be more pressure on the opponent’s defense, similar to what North Dakota did to our defense. Pressure creates mistakes which result in goals. Defense needs to hold the defensive blue better too. Can’t just let them into the zone so easily.

This weekend we need at least a win and a tie/shootout win. Time for the puppies to stop crapping the bed.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
        Getting shutout by a non-ranked opponent nonetheless. I believe I posted about it on one of the hockey sites I visit, maybe this one, but if you watch the offensive forecheck it is different than last year. There’s a lot of sitting back. There needs to be more pressure on the opponent’s defense, similar to what North Dakota did to our defense. Pressure creates mistakes which result in goals. Defense needs to hold the defensive blue better too. Can’t just let them into the zone so easily.

This weekend we need at least a win and a tie/shootout win. Time for the puppies to stop crapping the bed.
        I am not an expert on the game, but the offense appears different to me. Not as much pressure. I will leave that to others to explain, but I agree with you losing to these lower level teams is unacceptable if they want to make the playoffs. They come back to haunt you later in the year.

Still 26th in the pairwise. They won't move up unless they start playing good on a consistent basis. They can't take periods and games off.
        Last edited by WiscTJK; 11-13-2017, 08:25 AM.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Donnie believed in fast transition, pressure offense. Tony doesn't as much.

Base on previous articles about the these two.

Comment

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
            Donnie believed in fast transition, pressure offense. Tony doesn't as much.

Base on previous articles about the these two.
            Whatever the case they should have more wins with the depth and skill the forwards group has, IMO.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post

I would agree with you in that I have always been a fan of UND pressure forecheck and given the skaters we have, I would prefer playing that way. Having said that though, it's two different systems. UND is playing a 2-1-2 and UW is playing (like most everybody) a 1-2-2. UND's forecheck rely's on the forwards to pressure the D to eat it or move the puck behind the net laterally where F2 and F3 jump up to trap it in the corner. In the 1-2-2 you're generally trying to force the puck carrier to the side wall, or to pass it laterally and then push it to the sidewall. At that point it relies heavily on the onside D to read the play and pinch to turn the puck over, everybody rotates to cover, and hopefully F1 reads and circles to the high slot to receive the puck, or gets back to cover on the rush. The main thing being when the puck gets to the sidewall, that D has to be confident and aggressive in deciding to get up on it, as that's where you really put the screws to the other team in this system. Right now our D are generally very conservative at that point. Probably because they're young and don't want to screw up. The more experienced Tischke and Linhart will jump up a little more there, but they are more often on the offside. Oz is a very good D coach and I think as we go along we are going to see more aggressiveness from the D there as they gain confidence. (Hopefully.)

In the losses both to St. Lawrence and Mich St., the Badgers Corsi for % was a ridiculously high 68.2% and 68.3% respectively. In theory that translates to time with the puck being close to 42 minutes in each game. Not withstanding the one stretch in the second where the Badgers were soft, got pinned in for a couple minutes without a change and iced it, that would indicate that not only is the offense hanging on to it, but the D is getting it back quickly when they lose it.

It's primarily two very simple things: Put the puck in the net. Keep the puck out of the net.

Badgers have given up 33 goals on an .891 sv%. If that was .925 it would be close to 10 less GA.

Offensively, the top lines aren't getting to the net. Saturday, Frederic wasn't shooting, Weissbach either. Wag's was, but it should be Freddy and Linus shooting and Wag's cleaning up. Second line just isn't going to the net either to clean up. Getting a lot of one shot... recover the puck and reset or fall back. And nobody on the top two is burying it.

On the bright side there's no reason to believe Hayton won't be better, and the top lines won't be better. One would think there's just too much talent there to not be better.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Sorry if posted already.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Notre Dame and Wisconsin have agreed to play some January men's hockey games at Chicago's United Center.

United Center officials said in a news release Monday that one game will take place Jan. 21. The other will be in January 2019. It's part of a two-year game series deal where the teams face off for their home game matchup where the Chicago Blackhawks play.

Notre Dame head coach Jeff Jackson says the chance to compete in an NHL facility helps provide experience for future games.

Wisconsin head coach Tony Granato says the professional venues give the players a taste of what it's like to play at the next level.

Tickets for this January's game will be available next week.
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

UW release:
                  http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/1...on-jan-21.aspx

And looks like this year is Irish giving up a home game
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Ticket sales will be very interesting to follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                      Ticket sales will be very interesting to follow.
                      Interesting to see how much the tickets will cost. IIRC, parking isn't that bad, compared to my left nut an both thumbs Lambeau Field took from me last Monday night ($40).

I'm going for sure, whether I drive or take a group bus. Maybe Jim Cornelison will sing the anthem?

EDIT: Putting the shoe on the other foot, can we please get an NHL pre-season game at Kohl Center? Blackhawks vs Wild would be nice. Actually any teams would be nice. We have so many alumni in the NHL, somebody should make it happen. This past pre-season there were many games played away from their home venues.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        Interesting to see how much the tickets will cost.
                        Ticket prices have been announced...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Interesting to see how much the tickets will cost. IIRC, parking isn't that bad, compared to my left nut an both thumbs Lambeau Field took from me last Monday night ($40).

I'm going for sure, whether I drive or take a group bus. Maybe Jim Cornelison will sing the anthem?

EDIT: Putting the shoe on the other foot, can we please get an NHL pre-season game at Kohl Center? Blackhawks vs Wild would be nice. Actually any teams would be nice. We have so many alumni in the NHL, somebody should make it happen. This past pre-season there were many games played away from their home venues.
                          I'm certainly going as well.

I've also had that same thought about a Madison NHL preseason game as well. Much smaller venues in smaller markets have hosted NHL preseason games, and a Blackhawks-Wild event would be fun, given the mixture of the two fan bases around here.

Comment

So the other day Strobel said they were probably messing with lines again and were considering separating Wags and Freddy in an effort to get Trent going again. Don't know if that will happen but no doubt there will again be changes.

Here's a line I was thinking about: Wagner- Hughes- Freytag

Matt has been playing really well the last 4 without the puck and I wouldn't mind giving him a chance in the top six. He really has a tremendous shot and what I like most about it is he's not sending it wide or over the glass. He puts the puck right on the net every time. A righty on the left and a lefty on the right that both like to drift to the slot and fire it. Hughes and Wags move the puck really well and go hard to the net. Leave it for Matt, let him gun it and get there to clean up. That's my plan.

If you had the clipboard, what line would you like to see give it a go together?
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              I'm certainly going as well.

I've also had that same thought about a Madison NHL preseason game as well. Much smaller venues in smaller markets have hosted NHL preseason games, and a Blackhawks-Wild event would be fun, given the mixture of the two fan bases around here.
                              Per their FB page, "Wisconsin Hockey Backers" is organizing a day trip to UC for the Sunday Jan 21st game. Although I can drive with the best of 'em down in Chicago, I certainly would do this rather than fight parking, driving, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Per their FB page, "Wisconsin Hockey Backers" is organizing a day trip to UC for the Sunday Jan 21st game. Although I can drive with the best of 'em down in Chicago, I certainly would do this rather than fight parking, driving, etc.
                                Oh, man. It's only $96 for me to fly there on Saturday and fly back on Sunday night. That is a tempting trip.

Hmm. Wonder if anyone will be hanging out in Chicago on Saturday night.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X