Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    more P.C. bull**it I am sure...these students now know that if you have a sit-in on campus the jellyfish administration will give you whatever you want, what a great example to to give these kids, I guess when they get into the real world and they dont get what they want they will just stage a sit in in the CEO's office
    Did you miss the part where Jeff Amherst has always been accused of systematically giving a deadly disease to a whole population?

This is way beyond using a name that may be offensive to some. This is honoring someone who planned a racial cleansing program. That is where the true b*llsh*t is...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Did you miss the part where Jeff Amherst has always been accused of systematically giving a deadly disease to a whole population?

This is way beyond using a name that may be offensive to some. This is honoring someone who planned a racial cleansing program. That is where the true b*llsh*t is...
      +1

From WIKI (footnoted) -

One of the most infamous and well documented issues during Pontiac's War was the use of biological warfare against the Native Americans. The suggestion was posed by Amherst himself in letters to Colonel Henry Bouquet.[19] Amherst, having learned that smallpox had broken out among the garrison at Fort Pitt, and after learning of the loss of his forts at Venango, Le Boeuf and Presqu'Isle, wrote to Colonel Bouquet:

Could it not be contrived to send the small pox among the disaffected tribes of Indians? We must on this occasion use every stratagem in our power to reduce them.

Bouquet, who was already marching to relieve Fort Pitt, agreed with this suggestion in a postscript when he responded to Amherst just days later on July 13, 1763:

P.S. I will try to inocculate [sic] the Indians by means of Blankets that may fall in their hands, taking care however not to get the disease myself. As it is pity to oppose good men against them, I wish we could make use of the Spaniard's Method, and hunt them with English Dogs. Supported by Rangers, and some Light Horse, who would I think effectively extirpate or remove that Vermine.

In response, also in a postscript, Amherst replied:

P.S. You will Do well to try to Innoculate [sic] the Indians by means of Blankets, as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race. I should be very glad your Scheme for Hunting them Down by Dogs could take Effect, but England is at too great a Distance to think of that at present.

Historians Elizabeth Fenn and Benedict Kiernan have shown, "Fort Pitt had anticipated these orders. Reporting on parleys with Delaware chiefs on June 24, a trader [William Trent] wrote: '[We] gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect.' The military hospital records confirm that two blankets and handkerchiefs were 'taken from people in the Hospital to Convey the Smallpox to the Indians.' The fort commander paid for these items, which he certified 'were had for the uses above mentioned.' Historian Elizabeth Fenn has documented 'the eruption of epidemic smallpox' among Delaware and Shawnee Indians nearby, about the time the blankets were distributed."
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

hmmmmmmmmmmm wonder who came up with that one, dont believe eveything you read,I dont for sure, my point is bigger than this naming episode,which I am sure there will be more,hopefully my high school does not have to change their name,The Braves......but the P.C. Bull**it that may ruin this country,or turn it over to those with initials for a name.I think its IS*** or whtever that jellyfish in the WH wants to call them.
        Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-27-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

p.s. the words " has always been accused" is also in that statement,dont remember seeing the video on You Tube as a certain lawyer Ron Kuby would say,not that I am a Kuby supporter by any means...there have been to many fables,myths,and whatever else you want to call them passed down thru history to believe them all,IMHO..........now back to hockey
          Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-27-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmm wonder who came up with that one, dont believe eveything you read,I dont for sure, my point is bigger than this naming episode,which I am sure there will be more,hopefully my high school does not have to change their name,The Braves......but the P.C. Bull**it that may ruin this country,or turn it over to those with initials for a name.I think its IS*** or whtever that jellyfish in the WH wants to call them.
            The UMass website has the supporting documentation - they can be viewed here.

Conclusion

All in all, the letters provided here remove all doubt about the validity of the stories about Lord Jeff and germ warfare. The General's own letters sustain the stories.
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

What does a school called Indian River Central School with a nickname Warrior's do?

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Ya I mean Amherst's actions against the Native American's is documented historical fact so let's not even go there. And again, the school has said unequivocally that it's not changing the name of the school, and I'm pretty sure the town isn't switching names anytime soon either. Honestly, I don't have super strong opinions on the name one way or the other, but I find it funny that some people on here are basically arguing the school and the student body should keep a name they don't want just for the sake of not being seen to cave to political correctness. Backdraft21 even managed to bring Obama into it...
                Relax.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  What does a school called Indian River Central School with a nickname Warrior's do?
                  Merge with Salmon River?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                    Ya I mean Amherst's actions against the Native American's is documented historical fact so let's not even go there. And again, the school has said unequivocally that it's not changing the name of the school, and I'm pretty sure the town isn't switching names anytime soon either. Honestly, I don't have super strong opinions on the name one way or the other, but I find it funny that some people on here are basically arguing the school and the student body should keep a name they don't want just for the sake of not being seen to cave to political correctness. Backdraft21 even managed to bring Obama into it...
                    Relax.
                    How do you know I was referring to Obama?? ,plenty of people walking those halls...anyway, do you follow the OSU hockey team?? I have a buddie I used to work with in the FDNYwho's son is on the team??...p.s. cant get more relaxed than I am,except when it comes to whats happening to the country,and when Murphy is reffing an Oswego game
                    Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Funny my high school is The Braves and my daughters is The Warriors,both with a BIG Indianhead as a mascot,owe boy the liberals and Bernie will be after me soon, good thing we still have the 2nd

Comment

Hey Russell I thought it was poison pretzels not blankets..

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Merge with Salmon River?
                          I know you were joking...but they are about 120 miles apart.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

anyway, do you follow the OSU hockey team?? I have a buddie I used to work with in the FDNY on the team??
                            On the team? I don't know any of them personally, but ya I follow the team.
                            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Keep making orange & grapefruit juice
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                                Keep making orange & grapefruit juice
                                Wrong Indian River !! https://www.google.com/maps/place/In...8816713a2e37b6

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X