X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Purely empirical question here.....

Sometimes at work, when we are unsure of an answer to a question about numbers or data, one person will "set a line" and everyone else gets to pick the "over" or the "under." It forestalls arguments and incentivizes finding an answer.

I know the answer to the following for New York City, I'm curious to see who'd like to "set the line" for a national "over/under" and / or research it.

Which number is greater, and by about how much, over the past 3 years: the number of minority police officers killed while on duty, or the number of minorities killed in police shootings?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Purely empirical question here.....

Sometimes at work, when we are unsure of an answer to a question about numbers or data, one person will "set a line" and everyone else gets to pick the "over" or the "under." It forestalls arguments and incentivizes finding an answer.

I know the answer to the following for New York City, I'm curious to see who'd like to "set the line" for a national "over/under" and / or research it.

Which number is greater, and by about how much, over the past 3 years: the number of minority police officers killed while on duty, or the number of minorities killed in police shootings?
      First, why only minorities, why not just go with cops killed vs killed by cops? Second question is how are you defining killed while on duty? To get a decent comparison I'd say you'd have to exclude things like accidentally hit by car during a traffic stop, car crashes (unless intentionally rammed by suspect), heart attacks etc. which all makes finding good numbers a bit difficult. If we go straight cops intentionally killed by civilians vs. civilians killed by cops over the last 3 yrs, I'd say 650 is the over/under for more civilians killed by cops. If you want to limit it to minorities I'll bump it down to 350.

Comment

And without doing any examination of the data on these two sites:

http://killedbypolice.net/
        https://www.odmp.org/search/year

2017 is 652-69 (counting ALL officer deaths for any reason while on duty). So maybe I was being VERY optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
          First, why only minorities, why not just go with cops killed vs killed by cops? Second question is how are you defining killed while on duty? To get a decent comparison I'd say you'd have to exclude things like accidentally hit by car during a traffic stop, car crashes (unless intentionally rammed by suspect), heart attacks etc. which all makes finding good numbers a bit difficult. If we go straight cops intentionally killed by civilians vs. civilians killed by cops over the last 3 yrs, I'd say 650 is the over/under for more civilians killed by cops. If you want to limit it to minorities I'll bump it down to 350.
          The truth about the dangers of police work are often vastly overstated. They don't list among the 10 jobs with the most fatalities per worker and there are also plenty of occupations with more injuries on the job, including firefighters, EMTs/Paramedics and nursing aids. And the most common way cops are injured or killed remains traffic accidents with no underlying criminal act (which doesn't even include the many ill-advised pursuits that result in a police cruiser crashing). The job is also getting safer and safer with each passing decade. (please, don't trot out one year spikes, statistics don't work that way, even the Cubs or Phillies can win a world series every 40 or 100 years)

As for the original question, the numbers would look completely skewed anyway since communities with majority minority populations still have police departments that are majority white anyway. No matter how you slice it, far, far more people of any color are killed (or injured) by the police every year than who kill or injure police officers.

Comment

Minneapolis cops shoot and kill an Australian yoga instructor in her pajamas after she had called them about a disturbance in her alley.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Minneapolis cops shoot and kill an Australian yoga instructor in her pajamas after she had called them about a disturbance in her alley.
              That's not all. The Cop that shot her is Somali and they have body cameras but they were off at the time of this incident.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Was she white? Want to find out whether this is important.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Was she white? Want to find out whether this is important.
                  White and attractive.

http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.
                  I mean, holy ****. That bolded section.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    White and attractive.

http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1

I mean, holy ****. That bolded section.
                    This was five blocks from my house. Quite an affluent neighborhood- houses on the block are twice the size of my block. Needless to say we usually have nothing but burglaries
                    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 07-17-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      This was five blocks from my house.
                      Jeebus. That's scary. I know there's another USCHO member who has family there as well. This is a fairly nice part of town.

This was the final paragraph from the Strib article:
                      Hannah said there’s no way Damond would have had a gun. She often talked about how much better it was in Australia, where people aren’t allowed to have guns, Hannah said.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Jeebus. That's scary. I know there's another USCHO member who has family there as well. This is a fairly nice part of town.

This was the final paragraph from the Strib article:
                        Yeah I edited my comment as you posted this. It's a very nice area. Two blocks from creek, three from harriett

Comment

Working...
                        X