X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Hello everyone!

Making the trip to Maine in October to see UMD play and looking at flights. Will probably fly into Portland and drive in. Saves money over Bangor. Anything we should consider?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Hello everyone!

Making the trip to Maine in October to see UMD play and looking at flights. Will probably fly into Portland and drive in. Saves money over Bangor. Anything we should consider?
      Have to eat at Pat's Pizza before or after game one of the games. Good pizza, but it's just an iconic place. There's a pulley system that brings orders up and down from the downstairs bar to the upstairs counter and booths.

Margaritas, Roost and Bear Brew are all good college bars and turn into a college-only crowd after 10 p.m., but all have good food (and drinks). Bear Brew has great wings. Roost has cheap wings and cheap beers. Margaritas has surprisingly good Mexican food for a chain.

Governor's is a staple for breakfast, but I think it's overrated. Tim Horton's is right next to it for some good coffee. It's in Old Town where the first four places I mentioned are right in downtown Orono.

I'd recommend any of the Marriott chain hotels off of 187 in Bangor, but the University Inn is in between downtown and the rink which makes it easy if there are still rooms available. The rooms obviously aren't as nice as a Marriott, but it's got some charm to it. It's walking distance to rink if you're young.

If you fly into/out of Portland, try to make a pit stop in the Old Port. Good seafood, right on the water, some cool places, especially before it gets cold as there are outdoor seating options at a bunch. And for a Boston guy like me, it's nice because it's half the price of Boston and just as good or better than many of the Boston seafood places.

Freeport has some outlets (including L.L. Bean) if you're looking for a place to go shopping between Portland and Orono.

Acadia National Forest, Bar Harbor, Mount Katahdin are good spots to go sight seeing all within a 1-2 hour drive of Orono. If you're with the lady friend, there are some good apple picking places just outside of Orono.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Hello everyone!

Dysarts in Hermon is where you want to get breakfast, its a truck stop off I 95, 15 20 miles south of Orono on your way back to Portland. Not sure the exit number? A trip to Acadia on Saturday would be my pick. Leaf peeping should be good at that time. Pats is a dump but its known the world over for pizza and beer.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          ....... Pats is a dump but its known the world over for pizza and beer.
          Agree. Pat's has to be visited because it's an icon, but if you want good pizza go to Angelo's in Old Town. Less than 5 miles from Alfond Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Agree. Pat's has to be visited because it's an icon, but if you want good pizza go to Angelo's in Old Town. Less than 5 miles from Alfond Arena.
            +++ on the PIZZA @ Angelo's in Old Town.

Comment

Now that we have some talk about the upcoming season...what if anything do we know about a solid for sure ROSTER..? Should know more in coming week or weeks..? I have down these recruits coming in, maybe all or just some..? >> Recruits Forwards, Westerlund-Holesinky-Tralmarks...D-men, Keeper-Spicer-Binner-Tiuraniemi...Goaltender, Swayman. I have heard or has been said that Adam Dawe (forward) is not coming this fall...yes-no? We have RED-SHIRT D-man Oliver Herner and the two Transfers, Forwards Doherty (Brown) and Pieper (Quinnipiac).

Comment

You definitely want to book your hotel now. William and Mary plays here that Saturday at noon and Tribe fans (as well as Maine Football parents) always travel well. Campus is beautiful in October and nothing beats a football fall Saturday in Orono.

Comment

Hello everyone!

Go to Woodmans the night you don't go to Pats. They brew their own beer too.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Now that we have some talk about the upcoming season...what if anything do we know about a solid for sure ROSTER..? Should know more in coming week or weeks..? I have down these recruits coming in, maybe all or just some..? >> Recruits Forwards, Westerlund-Holesinky-Tralmarks...D-men, Keeper-Spicer-Binner-Tiuraniemi...Goaltender, Swayman. I have heard or has been said that Adam Dawe (forward) is not coming this fall...yes-no? We have RED-SHIRT D-man Oliver Herner and the two Transfers, Forwards Doherty (Brown) and Pieper (Quinnipiac).
                    Hock is definitely on the team too. I'm not sure on Quinlivan.

Jeff, if you see this, do you know whats going on? You don't have to reveal who's not coming back, but do the players know? It's kind of bizarre this late in the summer it hasn't come out yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Hock is definitely on the team too. I'm not sure on Quinlivan.

Jeff, if you see this, do you know whats going on? You don't have to reveal who's not coming back, but do the players know? It's kind of bizarre this late in the summer it hasn't come out yet.
                      I tweeted a while back Hoglund and Cochrane were both going elsewhere. I know Cochrane is a smart kid, probably headed NESCAC. Might be others.

Guite and Michaud have hit the recruiting trail hard this summer. I think current talent is still far behind, but it's going to improve.
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                        I tweeted a while back Hoglund and Cochrane were both going elsewhere. I know Cochrane is a smart kid, probably headed NESCAC. Might be others.

Guite and Michaud have hit the recruiting trail hard this summer. I think current talent is still far behind, but it's going to improve.
                        Yeah, there are 10 dmen and 20 forwards lined up right now and would think there would have to be five or six of them go elsewhere.

There isn't much in the junior and senior classes, unfortunately. Vesey was a good get and Michel was a nice find, but isn't a whole lot beyond that. I agree with you that it is going to get better in time. Hockey is a tough sport where guys commit so early. I'd like to see Maine be in good shape long term, even if it takes some time.

Comment

Roster of players still not announced. Tim brought the players to campus in August for team building and for an outdoor experience. A way of establishing team unity and bonding. Is this still being done? If so, the roster is known but isn't being released.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            Roster of players still not announced. Tim brought the players to campus in August for team building and for an outdoor experience. A way of establishing team unity and bonding. Is this still being done? If so, the roster is known but isn't being released.
                            I gathered from the story on Swayman that all the freshmen are on campus. Bhall said he saw the roster on the website awhile ago but it was quickly taken down. It's very strange to say the least. Maybe some consultant told the school if you post the roster later in the summer it brings in more donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I gathered from the story on Swayman that all the freshmen are on campus. Bhall said he saw the roster on the website awhile ago but it was quickly taken down. It's very strange to say the least. Maybe some consultant told the school if you post the roster later in the summer it brings in more donations.
                              Why would that bring in more Donations? Would you Donate to the unknown factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                                Why would that bring in more Donations? Would you Donate to the unknown factor?
                                I'm thinking sarcasm was being used here.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X