Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#4 BC vs. #1 Wisconsin - NCAA Semis: BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger... MUSHROOM, MUSHROOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #4 BC vs. #1 Wisconsin - NCAA Semis: BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger... MUSHROOM, MUSHR

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Wow, the gloves are off on this tilt, aren't they? The BC folks are full of confidence in their gals. The rodent team isn't as good as UW, and I would suspect UW dealing them a crushing blow in the last game prior to them playing BC had to of helped BC out.

Here's to an all red and white final.
    Why shouldn't we show confidence in our team? Is that not the point of being a fan?
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Re: #4 BC vs. #1 Wisconsin - NCAA Semis: BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger... MUSHROOM, MUSHR

It's cute that the Badger fans genuinely think they're going to win.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        It's cute that the Badger fans genuinely think they're going to win.
        Right? I mean, whoop-de-do, they won the WCHA. Pretty sure Plattsburgh State could have done that.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

I think this post bears repeating (paraphrased, of course):

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20
          We're probably going to catch a lot of flak on this from the (...) midwestern elitists.....

but yeah. [Stack] will whip anyone, and i have never seen such a savage player-- (...)

anyone even remotely close to her in skills is good. i havent seen that yet.

and BC is a contender. we're so much better than we were in the beginnign of the season. (...)

GO EAGLES.

Comment

Re: MUSHROOM, MUSHROOM!

It appears that Grant and Joe are hallucinating on mushrooms! If not, they are surely putting way too much pressure on a single player to carry the day against a "pretty decent" Badger team.

Meanwhile, it's a safe bet that in practice this week Badger coach Mark Johnson has his team focused on shutting down BC's single player offense (Stack: 56 points). His task should be a relatively simple one compared to Coach King's. She has the unenviable task of preparing her team to stop Duggan (83 points), Knight (78) and Decker (77) - each of these three has 20+ more points than BC's star player, who in turn has 20+ more points than her team's 2nd leading scorer. Unless you're hallucinating on something real strong it's not hard to figure out which team has the more potent offense.

It therefore seems pretty clear that for BC to win they will absolutely need to cash in on whatever real good opportunities the Badgers give them, because I don't think there will be very many. Capitalizing on the power play will likely be critical. Plus, they'll probably need a bounce or a deflection or two on a couple of longer-range or wide angle shots. I believe they'll need 4 to win this game.

And then at the other end BC will obviously need a huge game from Schaus, as well as their entire D core. As great as Schaus is I believe she will need some real good fortune to keep BC in this one. There is no question that she will face all kinds of pressure, and not just from Wisconsin's top line. She will play well, but it won't be enough.

I say Badgers win this one, 5-2.
            Last edited by D2D; 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I say Badgers win this one, 5-2.
              You're being generous. It will be the Badgers in a relatively easy 4-0 shutout.

Comment

some very good points mde by D2D......I'm sure that Johnson will shadow Stack, which will help, but otherwise I agree with D2D ..well said! I'll go with Badgers 3-1

Comment

Can't believe the lack of respect for the East. WCHA is a good conference but so is Hockey East. Wisconsin has a high powered offense led by some prolific scorers. In the WCHA Wisconsin averaged 5 goals a game and and had a stingy goals against of 1.79with a 24-2-2 record. Out of conference they were even better, 6 goals a game and a 1.5 goals against for a 11-0-0 record. In games against Minn. and Minn. Duluth this season, it drops significantly to 3.4 goals a game and a 2.6 goals against for a 6-2-2 record. Stack and Schaus will lead a formidable opponent against Wisconsin. Don't under estimate there defense led by Captain Kurth and look out for the line of Restuccia, Bizzari, and Wasylk, maybe the most physical forward line in the East. Game on. BC 3-2.
                  Last edited by WFR; 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WFR View Post
                    Can't believe the lack of respect for the East.
                    I don't think this game is about "lack of respect for the East" as much as respect for Wisconsin. The Badgers were even a bigger favorite with the voters against the Bulldogs.

This is a hard game to predict, in part, because neither team was much good a year ago, failing to make the semifinals of their conference tournament. Wisconsin failed to win 20 games, finished a disappointing 4th in the league, and got swept at home in the quarters. BC won eight games. Eight. And that was in a Hockey East that a year ago wasn't as strong as it was this season. Obviously they've added some frosh that make an impact as well as Schaus and Stack. But only 8 wins a year ago is worrisome, and maybe we see a little of that when they fail to win at Maine or go down 4-0 to BU; when Schaus and Stack don't carry them, they don't have a lot of other prime options.

Do I think BC can win? Yes, mainly because Wisconsin hasn't been that awe inspiring in the last couple of weeks. They've been starting slowly, which even great Badger teams tend to do, but at times, the starts have been very slow. Yet slow starts and all, they've won, including their last three games against Top Ten teams.

The Badger goalie is a rookie, so that can always be a bit of a question mark. I'm not sold on their blue line, because high-profile players seem to fall down with alarming frequency and at inopportune times. Their forwards, on the other hand, are flat out dominating. They usually start with a line of Brooke Ammerman/Decker/Duggan. That gives them a second line of Brit Ammerman/Knight/Packer. At some point, they usually switch Knight and Brooke A., and your problems go from bad to worse. All the while, they have a third line with two Canadian U-22 players that is flying around creating havoc and can score if the other lines don't.

So good luck, BC. The Eagles, to borrow a phrase from horseracing, got a perfect trip against Minnesota. I know from the 2005 semi vs Dartmouth that the game is a lot easier when you can get a couple easy goals right out of the gate. If Wisconsin is sluggish, BC can win. If both teams are at the top of their game, I think the Badgers just have too many ways to beat you. But I hope both play well, because that should make for a very entertaining contest.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Yeah but we have Kelli Stack.

Comment

Confidence is 1 thing, but thinking outloud the BD gals are going to beat UW handily drips of overconfidence. UW is a team that should be respectfully feared. If I were a BC fan (puke), this is what I would write.

"UW has been #1 almost all season, has a former olympic player and coach, former olympic players, 3 of the top 10 best players in the country and players who have won national titles previously, just beat the previous national champion and won their league easily abnd won their league tourney. They are going to be a tough out to say the least. I wonder how we'll contain their depth at forward?" I'd be hoping not to lose by more than 2 goals. I'm not saying UW will crush them, I'm saying in my head, if I were the underdog, I'd hope not to get killed, but know there is a decent chance my team can win.

Other comments.....
                        Rigsby is very solid in goal, I've seen her against UMD twice, the rodents once, UND and RPI. She's as solid as you can get. Her glove is very quick.

Some brought up UW's record last year.....any discussion of UW's record last year is immaterial because they were missing their coach and some pretty major cogs who were at the Olympics.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

In all seriousness, one of the things that's helped BC play better over the last few weeks is the emergence of threats beyond Stack. Restuccia has played well, as has Wasylk, Motherwell, and several other forwards. Obviously Stack can't do it all by herself.

Blake Bolden and Katelyn Kurth have been huge puck-movers on the blue line, too.

Obviously BC is going to have to play a perfect game to win, but they can and have several times in the past. Schaus gets even better in big games.

BTW one of those great Wisconsin players is Duggan (Danvers, Mass.). My native North Shore says "you're welcome."
                          Last edited by joegrav; 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                            In all seriousness, one of the things that's helped BC play better over the last few weeks is the emergence of threats beyond Stack. Restuccia has played well, as has Wasylk, Motherwell, and several other forwards. Obviously Stack can't do it all by herself.

Blake Bolden and Katelyn Kurth have been huge puck-movers on the blue line, too.

Obviously BC is going to have to play a perfect game to win, but they can and have several times in the past. Schaus gets even better in big games.

BTW one of those great Wisconsin players is Duggan (Danvers, Mass.). My native North Shore says "you're welcome."
                            She knew well enough to get out of Boston
                            2 NAtional Championships (potential 3rd on the way) and an Olympic Silver later, would you agree with her decision?

Similar Story with Knight, Lawler, Emily Morris, etc
                            even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerFan11 View Post
                              She knew well enough to get out of Boston
                              2 NAtional Championships (potential 3rd on the way) and an Olympic Silver later, would you agree with her decision?

Similar Story with Knight, Lawler, Emily Morris, etc
                              Knight isn't from Mass. Nor is she really from NH. Her family only moved there for her prep school (straight from her Mom).
                              113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I really don't think the Wisconsin fans know what their team is in for. This is going to be a *joy*.

Comment

Working...
                                X