X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I don't see anyone stopping this Denver team.
    Careful...the game is played on the ice. I am rooting for Montgomery and Denver but they better be ready. AND if I know how Montgomery approaches it he will be as he has been around many good Coaches: Walsh & the Coach across from him in game one: Jackson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tango View Post
      I just want puke watching Denver knowing Steve Abbott told Jim thanks but no thanks.
      False.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

College Hockey News has named Jim Montgomery Coach of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          I'll never forget that Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Wisconsin went on to defeat BC in the championship game after defeating Maine. The Bradley Center was a "sea of red". The building was filled with Wisconsin fans. With Wisconsin being in the championship game tickets were in high demand. I ended up selling mine and I watched the game in a bar next door.
          Major Goolsby's I'll bet?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            I don't see anyone stopping this Denver team.
            Not arguing with you- DU is an excellent team- but if I had to bet my life I'd go with Duluth. Harvard is really good and ND seems never to be outworked. Should be a great FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
              Could be. To be honest I don't remember. I know it was packed and rowdy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                That or Buck Bradley's. I sold my tickets to the UND v BC semifinal and sat at Buck's with a friend "preparing" for the Badger v Maine semifinal game that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Not arguing with you- DU is an excellent team- but if I had to bet my life I'd go with Duluth. Harvard is really good and ND seems never to be outworked. Should be a great FF.
                  I'll be rooting for Denver because of the Jim Montgomery factor...but I do see one possible weak spot and that could be DU's goaltending...not that it is awful but compared to Notre Dames and MN/Duluth...when it comes down to winning the big game I always put my money down on Goaltending...so as much as I am hoping for a DU Championship...I see a UMD/Notre Dame Final...and I know I am leaving out Harvard but it is because I could care less about them and there arrogant fan base.
                  Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 04-01-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Interesting article on CHN about Monty and Maine. He mentioned he was disappointed that Maine never contacted him for the coaching position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                      Interesting article on CHN about Monty and Maine. He mentioned he was disappointed that Maine never contacted him for the coaching position.
                      That was the buzz at that time. No idea as to the veracity of the (possible) news, but talk about Maine and Denver going in separate directions since then...

I'll be surprised if Maine even squeaks-into the NCAA's before Monty wins one NC at Denver. The Red hire has proven to be a complete disaster, and a series of nails in the coffin of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        That was the buzz at that time. No idea as to the veracity of the (possible) news, but talk about Maine and Denver going in separate directions since then...

I'll be surprised if Maine even squeaks-into the NCAA's before Monty wins one NC at Denver. The Red hire has proven to be a complete disaster, and a series of nails in the coffin of the program.
                        Here's the 4 year records to date of both Coaches, with Montgomery having one if not two more games this season...and I do know after seeing this many will say that Denver was better off then Maine in terms of talent and agreed on that but here's the RECORDS: Gendron 49-82-17 -- Montgomery 100-47-18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Here's the 4 year records to date of both Coaches, with Montgomery having one if not two more games this season...and I do know after seeing this many will say that Denver was better off then Maine in terms of talent and agreed on that but here's the RECORDS: Gendron 49-82-17 -- Montgomery 100-47-18.
                          I think Maine would have more wins with Jimmy, but I'm not sure how meaningful of difference it would be. I'm very confident history will be quite kind to Red. He has recruited a lot of good players and will be looked at as the man who got Maine back where they should be. I understand we live in a society where people want instant gratification but some things take time.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Monty won Penrose. Now the whining can really begin. In case you guys didn't know, jimmy ain't walking thru that door. It's done. They hired Red. He hasn't lived up to the massive expectations we all have. So be it.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Monty won Penrose. Now the whining can really begin. In case you guys didn't know, jimmy ain't walking thru that door. It's done. They hired Red. He hasn't lived up to the massive expectations we all have. So be it.
                              Good for Montgomery...no whining here...he deserves it as he has worked to get to where he's at right now...experience as a College Player/ a little bit of NHL-AHL and over seas...plus he worked his way up the ranks in Coaching, volunteer to assistant to running a expansion USHL team and building it from the ground up...then he got his chance at Div.1 Hockey and was picked by and then he in turn went with the University that wanted him...Denver. Good 4 him is what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I'm very confident history will be quite kind to Red. He has recruited a lot of good players and will be looked at as the man who got Maine back where they should be. I understand we live in a society where people want instant gratification but some things take time.
                                The player recruiting seems to be improving, but I feel as though this coaching staff doesn't have what it takes to develop the recruits into a winning program again. Hope they do well however.
                                Being strictly a fan of the game without ever having earned a penny in hockey, cost me a lot of $ though, so without any real expertise, I feel the same as many state that the pool and level of D1 players has improved over the years with European kids, the general expansion of hockey throughout the US all the while without any growth in the number of D1 teams, excluding the major Jr league presence. So it makes sense that recruits will get better across the board, which makes the difference in coaching all the more important.

Comment

Working...
                                X