Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Hmm...

I know the TB3s have had major issues at work. This isn't an HP laptop thing, it's more of an HP docking station thing. The laptops are some of the best I've ever used. Far better than Dell based on stability, design, and reliability.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Gear grinder: How my new work laptop interfaces with the docking station and peripherals attached to it. I've had this thing for almost three months now, so I've figured out most of the quirks to how the laptop fails to read things, but it's something I shouldn't have to do. I can't use the mouse's left-click button until I've first successfully used the right-click button. The scrolling wheel won't recognize the scrolling command until I press it down at least once to use as the middle-click button. Sometimes it will recognize my keyboard upon start up in the morning or re-docking throughout the day, and yet other times I have to use the laptop's keyboard to sign in past my LAN ID. Will the monitors be recognized or not this time? If so, I have to... and the list goes on and on.

Why do we keep buying corporate PCs from HP when this is not the first line of laptop models where we've had these types of issues? It's almost to the point where people are envious of those who still have their old laptops because they work as expected, even if they're a little slower and heavier.
      Dude, the Dells aren't any better (at least when running Mint 17.3).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Dude, the Dells aren't any better (at least when running Mint 17.3).
        Is there any machine originally built to run a Windows OS that actually runs better on a Linux platform? As I recall, there would be hardware glitches due to such a transition.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Necco wafers are those sugar disks that look like giant Smarties, only they're not as tasty.
          Necco wafers from the "New England Confectionery Company", perhaps the longest continually running candy company in the US. Started in 1847 (and today's Necco wafers test as if they were made that year). And an AMEN to Circus Peanuts!!
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Not grinding my gears that I do not need to use a laptop at all fro my current job This dust confirms that technology is Satan!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Not grinding my gears that I do not need to use a laptop at all fro my current job This dust confirms that technology is Satan!
              Buy what about that dust over there?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

speaking of technology grinds....

We have shared printers at work.
                -- some people just grab whatever is in the output tray and walk away with it, without even checking to see what pages were theirs and what pages were someone else's (i.e., mine)
                -- some people sort through the paper in the output tray, and then stick whatever isn't theirs on top of the printer, casually sticking random pages here and there without paying any attention to the original page order.

I forgot that some people are more important than others, I guess.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Careful what you wish for. Now we have to log in to our printers with our badges, pull the print queue, and then hit print. No more printing large documents and grab it in a few minutes.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Careful what you wish for. Now we have to log in to our printers with our badges, pull the print queue, and then hit print. No more printing large documents and grab it in a few minutes.
                    That is what we have to do, and have had to do since I started at my company. If we print more than a certain amount of pages a quarter our department gets charged. Its part of pushing for a paper-free workplace, supposedly.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've wasted thousands of dollars trying to get this thing to work and having to confirm my choice of "color, single sided". Thousands.

It's a terrible cost-savings measure. It has probably cost our company millions. I wish I were exaggerating.

The biggest problem is that people don't print because they can, they print because it's a productivity enhancer. I recharge between $105 and $330+ depending on the destination. If I waste a single hour per year, I would need to print thousands of pages in color single sided every year.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I've wasted thousands of dollars trying to get this thing to work and having to confirm my choice of "color, single sided". Thousands.

It's a terrible cost-savings measure. It has probably cost our company millions. I wish I were exaggerating.

The biggest problem is that people don't print because they can, they print because it's a productivity enhancer. I recharge between $105 and $330+ depending on the destination. If I waste a single hour per year, I would need to print thousands of pages in color single sided every year.
                        They won't even give me color printing access. Won't give it to anyone on my team, because the powers that be have decided that it is not essential for us, or for pretty much all of engineering. It is idiotic.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That's absolutely insane. I only print color for presentations. When its mission critical.

And color only costs like what? $0.08 a page or less?
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            They won't even give me color printing access. Won't give it to anyone on my team, because the powers that be have decided that it is not essential for us, or for pretty much all of engineering. It is idiotic.
                            What's the largest page you can print on? As an accountant, I lived for 11x17 ledger paper.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We can do F on our plotter (color ink)

Laser we can go up to B on color.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                What's the largest page you can print on? As an accountant, I lived for 11x17 ledger paper.
                                I can print 11×17 if I want. Comes in handy sometimes when I'm working with prints.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X