X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: climate change times are a changin'

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.
    You're right. But it has nothing to do with walking. It has to do with the gills. If we stop exhaling CO2 from breathing with our lungs, we will save the world. So get on this and let us know how we can get it moving too.

EDIT: Wait! If we develop gills, how long will it be until we have oceanic climate change from our gills diffusing CO2 into the water?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    If the oceans increase 10', which is the biggest number I've heard or read on this topic, how far inland will that take the oceans from the current shorelines?
    Doesn't matter since we're all doomed anyways.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      You're right. But it has nothing to do with walking. It has to do with the gills. If we stop exhaling CO2 from breathing with our lungs, we will save the world. So get on this and let us know how we can get it moving too.

EDIT: Wait! If we develop gills, how long will it be until we have oceanic climate change from our gills diffusing CO2 into the water?

Doesn't matter since we're all doomed anyways.
      Pfft, the elevation around here is in the region of 600' above mean sea level. Priceless may need to learn to swim, but we're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        And yet I'm somehow the science illiterate one. Strange.
        Because if you were scientifically literate, you would not be using those terms like that or agreeing with that dolt bigblue. A theory and law are two different things not stages to be taken on a path.

A theory is an explanation for how and why that incorporates facts, laws, and testable hypothesis. And it will only be accepted as a theory if it conforms to those facts, laws, and the hypothesis that make it up. After a certain point, a theory becomes so strongly supported that new information that could have falsified it before is instead used to refine and make it more correct. It can never be proven, only falsified because nothing can be 100% tested for every possible circumstance.

To quote Einstein, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."

While a law is a generalization that will be true with given circumstances. Like the 2nd law of thermodynamics, it's going to be true so long as it's in a closed system. Or Ohm's Law for an electrical circuit, which is one of the laws that make up electromagnetic theory. The key point is that they are only said to be true given specific conditions they are not universal.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.
          That's been evident for a little while now. Conservatives tend to find comfort in being stupid or in denial, and hey that's cool. Climate change just doesn't get me going much, so I can't be bothered to get into a brawl over it. As long as we have an Admin that keeps raising fuel standards, expanding green energy, and burning cleaner fuel (gas instead of coal - BTW wasn't Clown supposed to post a link showing how natural gas is as dirty as coal).

Now if I DID want to argue, I'd bring up that huskyfan bought into the Unskewed Polls guy hook, line, and sinker last year, as was SURE Romney was going to be elected President, and how her arguments here sound eerily familiar....but again, I don't want to argue.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
            Because if you were scientifically literate, you would not be using those terms like that or agreeing with that dolt bigblue. A theory and law are two different things not stages to be taken on a path.

A theory is an explanation for how and why that incorporates facts, laws, and testable hypothesis. And it will only be accepted as a theory if it conforms to those facts, laws, and the hypothesis that make it up. After a certain point, a theory becomes so strongly supported that new information that could have falsified it before is instead used to refine and make it more correct. It can never be proven, only falsified because nothing can be 100% tested for every possible circumstance.

To quote Einstein, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."

While a law is a generalization that will be true with given circumstances. Like the 2nd law of thermodynamics, it's going to be true so long as it's in a closed system. Or Ohm's Law for an electrical circuit, which is one of the laws that make up electromagnetic theory. The key point is that they are only said to be true given specific conditions they are not universal.
            Maybe since you're so literate, you can read what we're talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              and does anyone know why the name was changed from global warming to climate change. help me out here. I'm trying to learn.
              Global warming describes the system wide, long term, net effect of increased greenhouse gases. Climate change merely emphasizes what should be readily apparent to more people, that in a complex, dynamic system, this effect will not be uniform over time and space. Climate change is used more now because global warming has been seized upon by the disingenuous to rile up the ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                That's been evident for a little while now. Conservatives tend to find comfort in being stupid or in denial, and hey that's cool. Climate change just doesn't get me going much, so I can't be bothered to get into a brawl over it. As long as we have an Admin that keeps raising fuel standards, expanding green energy, and burning cleaner fuel (gas instead of coal - BTW wasn't Clown supposed to post a link showing how natural gas is as dirty as coal).

Now if I DID want to argue, I'd bring up that huskyfan bought into the Unskewed Polls guy hook, line, and sinker last year, as was SURE Romney was going to be elected President, and how her arguments here sound eerily familiar....but again, I don't want to argue.
                And liberals find comfort in character assassination or name calling while ignoring the points brought up contrary to their argument. I have been on the receiving end of this from you on other threads. Now it looks like others may be picking up your slack in this thread.

Originally posted by Foxton View Post

*sigh* Okay, here was my point. If this whole climate change thing is so real and so predictable this theory would lead directly to a law. Maybe something on the lines of XX lbs. of CO2 in the air = (degrees C of climate change) but because the system is so dynamic and cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, it will never happen. So they are in fact stages along the same path.
                Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Pfft, the elevation around here is in the region of 600' above mean sea level. Priceless may need to learn to swim, but we're good.
                  "Across the country, nearly 5 million people live in 2.6 million homes at less than 4 feet above high tide"

Where do you think we're going to move? Hey, I know. We'll all relocate to Edina, MN. Howdy neighbor!

Comment

"Across the country, nearly 5 million people live in 2.6 million homes at less than 4 feet above high tide"

Where do you think we're going to move? Hey, I know. We'll all relocate to Edina, MN. Howdy neighbor!
                    We don't take kindly to them fish people movin' in 'round these parts.

Hey, libs have their new cause. Equality for fish people.

Comment

Fish people, planting tomatoes, Florida sinking is a good thing... I'm glad people are taking this issue seriously. I'd hate to see what this thread would be like if people didn't have questions about the debate. The only thing missing is ponies...

Take care folks!

Comment

You can't just Move to Edina. You must ACHIEVE Edina.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                          You can't just Move to Edina. You must ACHIEVE Edina.
                          True, but they'll let anyone move to Verona.

Comment

Fish people, planting tomatoes, Florida sinking is a good thing... I'm glad people are taking this issue seriously. I'd hate to see what this thread would be like if people didn't have questions about the debate. The only thing missing is ponies...

Take care folks!
                            Pretty sure you were the one to bring up evolving gills since we'll all be under water. Evolving gills = fish people. Seems like a logical conclusion to draw.

We'll miss you!

Here's a quote just so there's no doubt.

No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.
                            http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5960347
                            Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

True, but they'll let anyone move to Verona.
                              Well, Duh!
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

842'
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X