X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Thanks for the spoiler alert.
    It really isn't a spoiler. Part of it is in both main trailers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      It isnt really a spoiler...trust me the overall plot is pretty predictable you can guess the story beats 20 minutes in advance.

As for the rest:

It isnt having to soundproof that is the issue, it is the fact that having the baby itself is guaranteed to create a lot of noise. I get it, they are sad because their kid got killed so they felt the need to endanger the rest of their kids by having another but still...the chances she doesnt get killed when going into labor are pretty small. They dropped a lamp in a basement and that was enough to cause all sorts of crap imagine a woman with no drugs or doctors giving birth in a complete unsterile and silent area. The amount of noise she would make and how easy it would be for the monsters to hear it would be off the charts. The parents were morons and Daddy deserved his stupid fate.

Honestly the kids are the best part of the story...
      Yet she gave birth and didn't make a sound, even with a creature right there. Mothers can do amazing things when it comes to the protection of their cubs.

Comment

• Re: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Yet she gave birth and didn't make a sound, even with a creature right there. Mothers can do amazing things when it comes to the protection of their cubs.
        No she didnt. She screamed it just got muffled by the fireworks that just so happened to go off right then. (you even hear it for a second before they cut away) You hear her that is why it is supposed to be sad when Daddy walks in and sees the blood in the tub.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          No she didnt. She screamed it just got muffled by the fireworks that just so happened to go off right then. (you even hear it for a second before they cut away) You hear her that is why it is supposed to be sad when Daddy walks in and sees the blood in the tub.
          I'll have to watch it again (at home, no way I'm sitting through that again in a theater) because I missed part of that. As for the coincidences and characters making dumb decisions, we wouldn't have a movie industry without them.

In my original review I had given this a good grade but the more I've thought about it the less I like it. It would still be fresh on the Tomatometer but only barely.

Comment

I'll have to watch it again (at home, no way I'm sitting through that again in a theater) because I missed part of that. As for the coincidences and characters making dumb decisions, we wouldn't have a movie industry without them.

In my original review I had given this a good grade but the more I've thought about it the less I like it. It would still be fresh on the Tomatometer but only barely.
            Yeah the criticisms I make make it sound way more harsh than I mean to. It gets a B in my mind. Worth seeing in the theaters but nothing revolutionary. I think Krasinski did a good job directing but the script needed lots of work. The choice to be silent made the movie both slow (too slow at times) but also the few times you hear a sound it does totally jolt you which is a very cool effect.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If we’re truly going to be snowed in this weekend when bad driving conditions I might trudge to the theater a mile away and see it

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                If we’re truly going to be snowed in this weekend when bad driving conditions I might trudge to the theater a mile away and see it
                Not a bad plan. Definitely see it in the theater I think the silence will be lost watching at home unless you make a super effort. (and your dogs wont let that happen )

I wonder what MoviePass will get me to see today. Right now I either see Beirut cause it I think it looks interesting, see Rampage just cause I dont want to pay for it or see Blockers just cause. Rampage and Blockers should be around next week but Beirut sees to be in limited release around here. I want to see the Kennedy flick but Angie vetoed so I can go with her. (she did the same with Black Panther and we still havent seen that)
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'll have to watch it again (at home, no way I'm sitting through that again in a theater) because I missed part of that.
                  I actually liked that part of the script. That was what the fireworks were intended for all along: to muffle her sound so she could give birth and then move the baby to the basket, where it would live inside a box until it could control its noises; so say... 6 years. When the fireworks went off I thought, "oh, so they have thought about it. OK then." But when they followed it up with Moses I thought, "oh for f-cks sake..."

This was another example of characters who were very smart in some ways and hopelessly stupid in other ways.

Since we're in spoiler mode, I missed something: how did the bug get down there anyway? Through the water pipe? Because if the aperture was wide enough that's more awful planning. But what can you expect from Jim? Irony won't save you now, as-shole.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

(A Quiet Place spoilers)

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Not a bad plan. Definitely see it in the theater I think the silence will be lost watching at home unless you make a super effort.
                    To my mind the single best most spooky thing was that our theater was sold out and dead silent. It really helped pull the tension out of the screen and into the theater: every director's dream. Even better, it was an Alamo Drafthouse so there were servers stealthing around getting and delivering food, so the pressure to be as quiet as possible was beautiful.

But really, beyond that gimmick, it was merely cromulent.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 04-13-2018, 10:30 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Plan this weekend is to go to either Isle of Dogs or The Death of Stalin. Probably the latter, which I have been really looking forward to.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I actually liked that part of the script. That was what the fireworks were intended for all along: to muffle her sound so she could give birth and then move the baby to the basket, where it would live inside a box until it could control its noises; so say... 6 years. When the fireworks went off I thought, "oh, so they have thought about it. OK then." But when they followed it up with Moses I thought, "oh for f-cks sake..."

This was another example of characters who were very smart in some ways and hopelessly stupid in other ways.

Since we're in spoiler mode, I missed something: how did the bug get down there anyway? Through the water pipe? Because if the aperture was wide enough that's more awful planning. But what can you expect from Jim? Irony won't save you now, as-shole.
                        I am not sure, it probably followed the sound of the water that was leaking in so maybe it just floated along with it. (they can swim obviously) It is sort of like when the Xenomorph ends up on the ship at the end of Alien you never see how it just is there.

I think that was one thing that took away from the script...the only thing we know of the aliens is they hunt by sound. Do they always work alone or do they hunt in packs? Do they communicate? Little things like that are important in my mind

And the Fireworks were a great plan...I was just mocking how Jim finds his kids and makes it back literally just in the nick of time. Stuff like that always makes me chuckle. It doesnt ruin movies for me, just makes me smile a bit and shake my head.

I want to see Death of Stalin too just not sure if I want to see it today or next Monday.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Plan this weekend is to go to either Isle of Dogs or The Death of Stalin. Probably the latter, which I have been really looking forward to.
                          I also really want to see death of stalin. Really excited

Comment

(A Quiet Place spoilers)

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            I think that was one thing that took away from the script...the only thing we know of the aliens is they hunt by sound. Do they always work alone or do they hunt in packs? Do they communicate?
                            My thought was that when the freakin' DOD figured out they were blind and hunted by sound if they didn't start messing around with sound (masking, jamming, feedback, etc) then we really didn't get any value for the trillions we poured down that hole for the last century. I mean, the as-sholes over at the Company still have a DS&T, right?

Basically, if the military had air superiority and couldn't figure out how to take the bugs out then it's all over anyway. But hey, other resolutions that were stupid:

War of the Worlds
                            Independence Day
                            Pacific Rim
                            every big budget monster invasion movie in history
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              I also really want to see death of stalin. Really excited
                              I'm curious how it ends.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I just saw the Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom trailer...they are kidding right? That isnt really the movie they made right? They didnt take all the stupidity of the last one (aka Chris Pratt and the Island of Bad Ideas and Acting) and do it all again only now they have to rescue the dinosaurs right?

They shoud just call it The Lost World 2: Because We Ran Out of Ideas and Needed More Jeff Goldblum
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X