Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Any ideas on why so many on the left have become so unhinged?

One theory is that those people truly believe that they are more enlightened than everyone else and are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance that not everyone agrees with their self-assessment.

People on the right disliked Obama intensely but I don't recall the same level of insanity: there were no giant rallies against his inauguration, no one refused to attend it, there were no widespread claims his election was "illegitimate"1. Even people who opposed him hoped he'd do good things for the country.

1 the non-US citizen stuff was a fringe element, IMHO, hence the qualifier "widespread".
    FF (and by that I mean **** Face, not FreshFish),

Donald Trump is a disaster of a president. In all likelihood, he is the most corrupt and unqualified man ever to be elected to the office. An embarrassment to any American with a fully functioning brain.

Of course there are going to be protests.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Donald Trump is a disaster of a president. In all likelihood, he is the most corrupt and unqualified man ever to be elected to the office. An embarrassment to any American with a fully functioning brain.

yo, nostrabassale!!!! give mookie the powerball #s, please
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The man literally has not taken office yet and already he's been a disaster of a POTUS? Odd. I have no high hopes for the man, but your animosity is so blatant that it's clear unless the person has a D after their name, you're not interested in the least.

Prejudice, wrote a song about it
        Like to hear it? Here it go...

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Any ideas on why so many on the left have become so unhinged?

One theory is that those people truly believe that they are more enlightened than everyone else and are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance that not everyone agrees with their self-assessment.

People on the right disliked Obama intensely but I don't recall the same level of insanity: there were no giant rallies against his inauguration, no one refused to attend it, there were no widespread claims his election was "illegitimate"1. Even people who opposed him hoped he'd do good things for the country.

1 the non-US citizen stuff was a fringe element, IMHO, hence the qualifier "widespread".
        I don't think you were looking at the right parts of the web if you think people weren't up in arms during Pres. Obama's inauguration. The negative issues just didn't garner the widespread media coverage that Trump's has thus far.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          I don't recall the same level of insanity
          That's because you practice cognitive dissonance more than anyone else on this board.

Or else your memory is just failing. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about that.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            The man literally has not taken office yet and already he's been a disaster of a POTUS? Odd. I have no high hopes for the man, but your animosity is so blatant that it's clear unless the person has a D after their name, you're not interested in the least.
            look at who he has nominated for his cabinet. it's already a disaster.

I wouldn't have been happy with a Jeb Bush presidency, but I wouldn't be calling it a disaster yet. Trump IS a disaster no matter how much people want to deny it.

Comment

look at who he has nominated for his cabinet. it's already a disaster.
              He'll be under investigation by someone his entire Presidency. Not releasing his tax returns has made him a target of the press for eternity. He obviously has something to hide and it will be found eventually.

“American law enforcement and intelligence agencies are examining intercepted communications and financial transactions as part of a broad investigation into possible links between Russian officials and associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump, including his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, current and former senior American officials said.

“The continuing counterintelligence investigation means that Mr. Trump will take the oath of office on Friday with his associates under investigation and after the intelligence agencies concluded that the Russian government had worked to help elect him. As president, Mr. Trump will oversee those agencies and have the authority to redirect or stop at least some of these efforts.
              https://dianeravitch.net/2017/01/19/...ies-to-russia/
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                He'll be under investigation by someone his entire Presidency. Not releasing his tax returns has made him a target of the press for eternity. He obviously has something to hide and it will be found eventually.

https://dianeravitch.net/2017/01/19/...ies-to-russia/
                Unless, by Exective Order, he puts his tax return under deep lock. BHO, IIRC, put his college records under wraps.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Unless, by Exective Order, he puts his tax return under deep lock. BHO, IIRC, put his college records under wraps.
                  Yeah, no he didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Source?
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      WRONG!!

it is illegal for a college to release transcripts without written permission from the student. Obama hadn't authorized the released his transcripts -- but he did not put them "under wraps" -- he just didn't do anything about them. But neither did George W Bush (his Yale grades were eventually leaked by someone, but not released by Bush). Most presidents have not made college transcripts public information.

You know what information other presidents have made public? TAX RETURNS.

You are pathetic.
                      Last edited by BassAle; 01-20-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

"When there is patriotism, there is no room for prejudice."

Hmm....

I had never thought of it from that perspective before, but it certainly seems fits the historical record: the US military was probably the first civic institution in the US where racial integration was successful and racial prejudice was eliminated.

A very interesting way to present that concept.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Donald Trump is a disaster of a president.
                          um, he's only been President for two hours and eighteen minutes as of this post. Isn't that judgment a bit premature? Mightn't we want to actually wait and see what kind of track record he produces before evaluating his success or failure in office?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I don't think you were looking at the right parts of the web if you think people weren't up in arms during Pres. Obama's inauguration. The negative issues just didn't garner the widespread media coverage that Trump's has thus far.
                            Which kind of circles back to my original question, in a slightly different form: why have so many people in the mainstream media become so unhinged? isn't it their job to report the news, not become the news?

I do realize that some people were absolutely gonzo batfeces crazy over BHO, just like 5% - 10% of the country is insane about one thing or another. I myself wanted him to succeed despite my skepticism that he was "all hat and no cattle" as they say; I would have been absolutely delighted to have him prove me wrong!

I'm not talking about whether some people were publicly unbalanced, I'm surprised at how widespread it seems to be this time. There weren't widely-publicized riots in the streets after the 2008 nor the 2012 election; there weren't 400,000 people descending upon Washington DC the day after the election in a protest either time.

Comment

WRONG!!

it is illegal for a college to release transcripts without written permission from the student. Obama had authorized the released his transcripts -- but he did not put them "under wraps" -- he just didn't do anything about them. But neither did George W Bush (his Yale grades were eventually leaked by someone, but not released by Bush). Most presidents have not made college transcripts public information.

You know what information other presidents have made public? TAX RETURNS.

You are pathetic.
                              With malice towards none, with charity to all.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A fascinating social/political experiment:

a new play ... restages parts of the three 2016 presidential debates word-for-word and gesture-for-gesture – but with a woman depicting Donald Trump and a man playing Hillary Clinton.
                                a rehearsal raised unexpected questions, some of them troubling. For instance, was the real Trump’s rhetoric offensive to liberals because it was delivered by a repugnant reality TV star?

“When a woman says it, it doesn’t sound as crazy,” said Maria Guadalupe, a professor at France’s INSEAD Business school and a co-creator with Joe Salvatore, clinical associate professor of educational theatre at New York University’s Steinhardt School, of the play.

Did Clinton supporters not realize how much her hyper-polished political style alienated people?

“When a man [re-creates Clinton’s performance],” said Salvatore, “it feels like a lot of mansplaining.”
                                The article also has a link to a livestream of the play, which I have not looked at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcI...layer_embedded

Comment

Working...
                                X