Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I think in the last 25 years or whatever people’s world/perspective has completely changed. It says a lot about our society that we spend more time reading about celebrities than important issues.
    This has always been true, Drew.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I would say we're in the middle of the worst two generations this country has ever produced (Silent Generation, Baby Boomers) having the votes to put likeminded bigots and people who'd like to get back to 1950 on social issues in power. If the left continues to sit out elections, these people will punch above their weight for the foreseeable future. If they don't they could end their disastrous reign starting in November as more liberal millennials are now the largest generation out there and Gen X is fairly liberal as well.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        I would say we're in the middle of the worst two generations this country has ever produced (Silent Generation, Baby Boomers) having the votes to put likeminded bigots and people who'd like to get back to 1950 on social issues in power. If the left continues to sit out elections, these people will punch above their weight for the foreseeable future. If they don't they could end their disastrous reign starting in November as more liberal millennials are now the largest generation out there and Gen X is fairly liberal as well.
        Keep in mind the boomers were not adults in the 50s and have no reason to want to return there. None of my boomer friends would think of wishing such a thing. That is precisely what many of us revolted against. It is one thing to suggest that boomers have dropped the ball in holding off big money interests during the change from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, but to suggest that we want to return to the social climate of the 50s is unsupported as far as I can see, biased as I admittedly am.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Same. Last time I was there I was embarrassed of GW. This is worse.
          Last year in Germany I sat next to a German woman on my flight from AMS to Munich. We had an interesting discussion about trump. I told her both I and most of my friends despise the man. She was mostly curious about how it happened and what the feelings are about him. Super nice about it.

I think I apologized to her lol.

But that was all before this trade war bull****. Things that actually affect people.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Last year in Germany I sat next to a German woman on my flight from AMS to Munich. We had an interesting discussion about trump. I told her both I and most of my friends despise the man. She was mostly curious about how it happened and what the feelings are about him. Super nice about it.

I think I apologized to her lol.

But that was all before this trade war bull****. Things that actually affect people.
            I remember flying to Italy during Dubya. The woman near us asked if we were American and we got to talking about the GOP. I started to apologize for the US being Stumble Baby but she waved it off and said, "don't worry... we have the stupid people in our country, too."

So it's understood that Dumpy isn't America, he's 'Murica, and while those people suck there's global comprehension that those people suck everywhere.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Keep in mind the boomers were not adults in the 50s and have no reason to want to return there. None of my boomer friends would think of wishing such a thing. That is precisely what many of us revolted against. It is one thing to suggest that boomers have dropped the ball in holding off big money interests during the change from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, but to suggest that we want to return to the social climate of the 50s is unsupported as far as I can see, biased as I admittedly am.
              The older of the baby boomers tend to be around the age of 70. IMHO these are the worst people for Trump worshiping and believing any BS conspiracy theory that comes along. Perhaps you're at the end of the baby boom (1960-64) and I will say people in their late 50's don't seem to share the same traits as their older counterparts. But, people in their 60's and 70's are the absolute worst, collectively, that I've ever seen. Far worse than the greatest generation when they were that age.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

A feckless "see you next tuesday".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4QgdZ3eIis
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

The older of the baby boomers tend to be around the age of 70. IMHO these are the worst people for Trump worshiping and believing any BS conspiracy theory that comes along. Perhaps you're at the end of the baby boom (1960-64) and I will say people in their late 50's don't seem to share the same traits as their older counterparts. But, people in their 60's and 70's are the absolute worst, collectively, that I've ever seen. Far worse than the greatest generation when they were that age.
                  I know boomers who support Trump, but far more who think he is a dangerous child. It looks to me to be more a function of education than age. I have no stats to back that up though. People certainly get more conservative as they age, but I'm not sure the boomers are any different than other generations in the degree to which that has happened. I can see why it seems they have grown much more conservative, given how radical many were in our late teens and 20s.

I feel very good about many social changes our generation played an important part in, but there is no question we have disappointed.
                  Last edited by burd; 05-31-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

***?

Flexing his clemency power as he and his team face multiple criminal investigations of their own, Mr. Trump also said that he was thinking about the case of Martha Stewart, the lifestyle mogul who spent five months in prison for lying to investigators about the timing of a stock sale.

The president was focusing on cases where he argued that the justice system had unfairly treated celebrity figures, all of whom were convicted of crimes that in some ways mirrored charges that have been made or mentioned in connection with allies of Mr. Trump in recent weeks, including campaign finance violations and lying to investigators.
                    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/u...imes&smtyp=cur
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      I know boomers who support Trump, but far more who think he is a dangerous child. It looks to me to be more a function of education than age. I have no stats to back that up though. People certainly get more conservative as they age, but I'm not sure the boomers are any different than other generations in the degree to which that has happened. I can see why it seems they have grown much more conservative, given how radical many were in our late teens and 20s.

I feel very good about many social changes our generation played an important part in, but there is no question we have disappointed.
                      The bolded part actually isn't true. If you think about the social change of the 60's and the voters who put progressives in power back then, none of them were Baby Boomers because they weren't old enough to vote. A key distinction that tends to get missed when recounting who elected politicians dedicated to civil rights, or Medicare for example. The absolute oldest of the boomers (those born in '46 and the first half of '47) would have been able to vote in the 1968 election and that's it as the voting age was 21. Instead it was the Greatest Generation who put those people into power.

Now fast forward to the end of 1980. People who lived through Depression and fought WWII are late 50's to mid 70's. Life expectancy wasn't as long back then and they start to lose their grip on the electorate. Who steps in? Silent Generation loons and older Baby Boomers thus ushering a couple of decades of conservative stupidity dedicated to pleasing self-entitled whiners. Perhaps we're at the forefront of another generational change, but really, collectively your generation has basically stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.

Comment

Reason 1098 why this administration is trash

http://thehill.com/homenews/390091-c...utors-withheld

Comment

The bolded part actually isn't true. If you think about the social change of the 60's and the voters who put progressives in power back then, none of them were Baby Boomers because they weren't old enough to vote. A key distinction that tends to get missed when recounting who elected politicians dedicated to civil rights, or Medicare for example. The absolute oldest of the boomers (those born in '46 and the first half of '47) would have been able to vote in the 1968 election and that's it as the voting age was 21. Instead it was the Greatest Generation who put those people into power.

Now fast forward to the end of 1980. People who lived through Depression and fought WWII are late 50's to mid 70's. Life expectancy wasn't as long back then and they start to lose their grip on the electorate. Who steps in? Silent Generation loons and older Baby Boomers thus ushering a couple of decades of conservative stupidity dedicated to pleasing self-entitled whiners. Perhaps we're at the forefront of another generational change, but really, collectively your generation has basically stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.
                          The generation that gave birth to "bloomers" went through a decade-long depression then world war II in their early adulthood. I can completely understand whey they wanted the predictable security of a job with The Company, new appliances, and a white picket fence. In a world run by white men--the Golden Age Trump promised.

Although boomers may not have voted until the late 60s and were not the ones passing the laws, they played a huge role in moving the discussion. Forcing it, in may instances.

And I don't think boomers were forcing the issues in the late 60s because there was something special about them any more than there was something special about the prior generation. We are a product of our times. That doesn't mean we don't accept responsibility. As I said above, boomers, including me, have contributed to some very serious financial problems in this country.

Comment

We're going to need an amendment to deal with excessive pardons. This is getting stupid. At least everyone else waited until they were leaving to abuse it so it didn't constantly make the news.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              My guess is Ivanka has stock in a competing countries car company...
                              This smells of the 2008 banking/mortgage fallout. There are people who profited richly from the fallout by holding onto the right cards.

Trump family tanks the global economy, ???, Profit!
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Classic "What About..." from conservatives: Calling for the View and Jimmy Kimmel to be cancelled because Roseanne was cancelled. "What about the View? Why hasn't Joy Behar been fired?"

I didn't realize picking on Donald Trump qualified as hate speech.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X