Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    ... And the debate is about Berenson, but the board wouldn't let me complete my last thought.
    How is my argument "fact free" exactly? All I've stated are facts
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

• Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      It's tough because Herbie only coached in college for a short time. Had he coached at this level longer, I think he would be at the top of the college coaching pyramid. You're right though, the fact that Herb's college career was so short hurts his case.
      I think LynahFan had tried to make an analogous point about Ned Harkness. As a college hockey coach, he came in somewhere between # 6 and # 10 on FS23's list of all-time men's NCAA division I ice hockey coaches; however when you factor in his success as a college and as an Olympic lacrosse coach, he is a great, versatile overall coach.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

One man's take:

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...nal_york_1027/

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
          Herb Brooks deserves a category all his own, unique in American coaching (in any sport, really). His college resume is decent but not otherworldly, but that's what happens when you move onto bigger and better things.
          hmm, I disagree w/you Brooks' NCAA resume -3 titles in 6 years, that's way more than decent, that's incredible.
          Badger Bob was on an NCAA title every 4-year clip 73, 77, 81 (lost in 82 NCAA FINAL his last year in Madison)

I don't think we can allow for Coach X would have/could have/should have if they stayed in NCAA, or if x happened, etc. it didn't happen so York is on top of the mountain. He's never had pro aspirations or olympic aspirations as many of the others and that's helped him maintain his success for sure but that shouldn't count against him being the best.

most innovative? no, I give that to Johnson and Brooks (they were revolutionaries really).
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The best all time American coach is most certainly Herb Brooks. He is the ONLY American coach in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              The best all time American coach is most certainly Herb Brooks. He is the ONLY American coach in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
              Never heard of him.

Comment

I honestly don't know the answer to this...

Brooks coached olympics and NHL...york just NCAA. Is someone like york eligible for hockey hall of fame consideration?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Never heard of him.
                  Yeah you do the BHHC named their playoff champions trophy after him. DUH!
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                    please don't derail the thread! but for a quick digression to answer you: Johnson is right there w/Brooks. 3 NCAA's apiece, 1 gold medal for one, an NHL Stanley Cup for the other (along w/a runner-up in Calgary).

but that's all moot...is Jerry York the best NCAA hockey coach all-time? his numbers certainly state that's the case

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      but that's all moot...is Jerry York the best NCAA hockey coach all-time? his numbers certainly state that's the case
                      I don't know. He's certainly right up there and the most successful of recent times. I just wouldn't diminish what Johnson and Brooks accomplished. I believe if there was a Mt. Rushmore of NCAA hockey coaches, you'd have to start with those three.

Comment

And ignore Murray Armstrong, Vic Heyliget and John MacInnes?
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          And ignore Murray Armstrong, Vic Heyliget and John MacInnes?
                          There's still one spot left.

Oh yeah, and Crazy Horse. Heyliget could be riding MacInnes.

Comment

There's still one spot left.

Oh yeah, and Crazy Horse. Heyliget could be riding MacInnes.
                            damm you.
                            I hate you....but then I don't.

Are you a woman?

Comment

I don't know. He's certainly right up there and the most successful of recent times. I just wouldn't diminish what Johnson and Brooks accomplished. I believe if there was a Mt. Rushmore of NCAA hockey coaches, you'd have to start with those three.
                              that's the most difficult aspect of this. Johnson and Brooks were true innovators who changed the game entirely. Johnson taking over a program that was just a few years back into the game (and in a state that was a non-hockey state to be sure so had no recruiting advantage whatsoever) and in short order turning it around winning 3 titles and all the while going up against Brooks (3 titles) and Macinnes (3 titles).

that brings up another problem, right now York has no peer so head to head he stands out even further against the rest of today's field which would seem to prop him up against past coaches as well in a way. the what if's are intriguing but we'll never know unfortunately (what if BC played an all WCHA schedule, or what if BU, Maine, UNH offered consistent competition over the last 15 years, etc)

I love the Mt. Rushmor of NCAA hockey coaches thought and agree w/ starting w/Johnson, Brooks and York

Comment

The title of this thread is "Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time.] Shouldn't that eliminate some of this back and forth talk about the older coaches? I'm not old enough to remember some of those guys, but I think it would be tough to argue that Jerry York is the best coach of the last 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X