Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I can't remember if we ever had a chance at Butcher.
    I have a connection to Butcher. His Dad and Steve Miller were very tight, so (pseudo-uncle) Steve got him to DU. Otherwise he would have been a Badger for sure. Of course Steve moved on to Providence...

I still get mad every time I think about it.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
      Any time I see a Wisconsin kid doing well at another school, I just assume he's not at UW because Oz wasn't here.
      I think it's more that MM was here. Considering what a crushing grand slam BA did landing G2O, all those recruiting misses and game losses seem worth it.

I am still in awe that Tony would openly encourage a player like Kunin to leave, and embrace the departure, being supremely confident that he will simply re-load and not lament. I don't know if other coaches from BC or BU or UND openly embrace departures like Tony does.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Does anyone know if Weissbach is hurt or something? Hasn't played in a month.
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Per Todd Milewski and Lakeville South via twitter, Joshua Ess has signed a letter of intent with UW.

Comment

Per Todd Milewski and Lakeville South via twitter, Joshua Ess has signed a letter of intent with UW.
            I have him penciled in as a '19-'20 at this point.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

@MikeMcMahonCHN: The team with the most commits on their list currently is Wisconsin, who has 34 listed. Most (27) are projected between 2018-2021 arrivals.

----
              You only have 18 scholarships to give. A few kids' dreams are going to run into the harsh realities.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Per Todd Milewski and Lakeville South via twitter, Joshua Ess has signed a letter of intent with UW.
                Does LOI mean he is coming in 2017?
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  Does LOI mean he is coming in 2017?
                  I would say no. He has only had 2 USHL games, so I would think he's still going to be at least a year out.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    I would say no. He has only had 2 USHL games, so I would think he's still going to be at least a year out.
                    Can they do that? I just assumed signing an NLI meant he'd be here next season. Milewski also mentioned the possibility of him coming in next year in an article in February.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      @MikeMcMahonCHN: The team with the most commits on their list currently is Wisconsin, who has 34 listed. Most (27) are projected between 2018-2021 arrivals.

----
                      You only have 18 scholarships to give. A few kids' dreams are going to run into the harsh realities.
                      I would guess the few that may be affected are those kids that committed to Eaves. Some of his remaining recruits on the list may not end up at Wisconsin. If you add in early departures and the fact you can divide the 18 scholarships among up to 30 players, that 27 number doesn't look so bad.
                      Last edited by Great Day for Hockey; 04-12-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Can they do that? I just assumed signing an NLI meant he'd be here next season. Milewski also mentioned the possibility of him coming in next year in an article in February.
                        Its supposed to mean next season - The NLI has a provision that was designed to prevent players from signing NLI's, then reneging on the agreement, and heading to another school after waiting out the one-year NLI agreement. As a result, the NLI agreement was ruled to remain binding if the school was still interested in offering the agreed upon terms the following school year.

College hockey coaches and compliance offices have begun exploiting this rule, under the pretense that "if a student-athlete decides of his own volition" to defer a year they can do so and the NLI agreement holds the following season. The reality of the situation is they just want to exert their power over a verbal commitment and eliminate any potential change of heart. The school signs the player, tells them they will be deferring and then the student-athlete decides of his "own volition" to defer...

It is situations like UNH's deferral of Mike Vecchione that led to this manipulation of long-standing rules. Vecchione was unhappy that UNH changed their plans for him and booked to Union. If he had signed an NLI at the earliest possibility, instead of waiting until his arrival year, he would have been stuck. Its a power move by coaching staffs and athletic departments. In many cases, it may be initially agreed upon - such as this one for UW (no harm, no foul) - but it was born out of (and is often used for) selfish intentions by the schools...

This is why it bothers me when people aimlessly attack the NCAA for their treatment of student-athletes. What they do not realize, is the poor treatment often comes from Universities exploiting loop-holes in rules that have long served the student-athlete. Additionally, it is the coaches, athletic departments and conferences that make (and have the power to change) these rules. They don't, because they'd rather exploit them. The NCAA enforces, gets the blame and the others skate free...

If you haven't yet, you really should try to make it to an NCAA coaches convention (in any sport) to listen to the GROWN UPS who trash student-athletes and young adults character, behavior and attitudes in an attempt to rationalize their self-serving rulings. It is a scene man...
                        Last edited by Dan; 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

----
                          One would assume some of Eaves' recruits may not come in. Also, we don't know who has been promised what in terms of partial or full scholarships. Add that to early departures and UW is fine. This is exactly how OZ recruited in his first tenure and it seemed to work very well.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

----
                            G2O are planning on a lot of early departures. Their strategy is to get the best, and when they leave just re-load and not lament. Plus 5 Fr F for 18-19 are Eaves recruits.

Comment

----
                              Meh, in an ideal world a team would turn over 7 players a year: 4 F, 2 D and 1G. Thus, over the 2018-21 (4 seasons) a school would need to replace ~28 players almost exactly what UW has committed and that is before accounting for any early departures (which you can fill with a late bloomer).

UW has not at this point over-recruited, but they have recruited early which may only may not work out in the end. UW is already recruiting to fill there 2022 and 2023 classes while other schools are still working on their 2019 and 2020 classes. If you identify the he right players it can pay off handsomely in the end, if you have to many whiffs you can struggle mightily.

Comment

Posick said Ess is coming next year. I sure hoping bringing Zimmer and Ess in early isn't going to screw them up.

Comment

Working...
                                X