Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    Agree toughest situation is for the incoming Frosh.
    If the incoming frosh is on scholarship, I'd assume that WSU has to honor that deal for year 1 (albeit with no hockey.) So if the player was getting a full ride, she could presumably concentrate on studies for a year while investigating other playing opportunities and not sacrifice any eligibility. Not ideal, but better than being left out in the cold.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
      In the past scholarships have been honored for players that want to stay and those who want to go elsewhere are allowed to do so without having to sit out if applicable in their sport/league.

Unfortunate for the girls and the coaches for sure.. Will be interested to see what BTD, USCHO and others dig up on this news..

Kinda late for the frosh and others to go somewhere at the national collegiate level. I would expect most to land in D3 or the CIS for this season..
      Purely speculating, but it will be interesting to see if Coach Fetter ends up at Penn State....along with a bevy of his players. Instant team for the Nittany Lions. (and if that be the case, one has to wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg. )

Comment

Never thought about him going to Penn State. He would do a lot better if he went there. Anybody know if RMU is getting a new head coach or will they just make their new head coach from one of the assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
          Never thought about him going to Penn State. He would do a lot better if he went there. Anybody know if RMU is getting a new head coach or will they just make their new head coach from one of the assistants.
          Assistant coach, Scott Spencer, was given an Associate-Head Coach title a few month back, so I assume he'll take over.

Comment

Let's see how RMU and Ohio State do next season if RMU wins more games than last season and OSU lose we'll know what was wrong with RMU

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
              He would do a lot better if he went there.
              Meaning ?

Comment

Meaning ?
                Well Penn State is way different than Wayne State. It's a bigger school and more players would want to go there just because they would have better facilities. I don't know but if I was a coach and had a choice between Penn State and Wayne State I would go to PSU

Comment

I like what Hux said, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for this team. Let's hope so, these kid's must be going through hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Purely speculating, but it will be interesting to see if Coach Fetter ends up at Penn State....along with a bevy of his players. Instant team for the Nittany Lions. (and if that be the case, one has to wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg. )
                    Would not surprise me one bit. Kids would have to sit a year, but could be worth the wait.
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      Would not surprise me one bit. Kids would have sit a year, but could be worth the wait.
                      Nothing personal against the WSU girls, but it isn't exactly a school that is highly ranked amongst top players. Don't you think Penn St will be able to attract more "blue chippers?".

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                        Nothing personal against the WSU girls, but it isn't exactly a school that is highly ranked amongst top players. Don't you think Penn St will be able to attract more "blue chippers?".
                        Wow...I'm sure the WSU girls reading this won't take that personally.

Comment

Originally posted by justthedriver View Post
                          Wow...I'm sure the WSU girls reading this won't take that personally.

Agree! Anyone playing at the D1 or D3 level is a special player. It's very difficult to receive a D1 scholarship WSU has had some good seasons where they've beat the best. You can not judge any school by their record. Look at the WCHA most years the bottom teams might lose 12 games just for being lucky enough to play Wisconsin, Minnesota and UMD.

That being said teams like WSU, RMU, Union etc will have a harder time finding that special player. I also think some D3 girls could've played D1 and chose to stay D3.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post

I also think some D3 girls could've played D1 and chose to stay D3.
                            The choice to play DIII affords the student athlete several advantages. Want to play more than one sport? Worried about what happens should you suffer a career ending injury? Bigger fish/smaller pond? The capability of some schools to fully fund demonstrated financial need (as in you receive a grant, not a "scholarship," rather than having to borrow $$$).

Comment

From WSU

http://wsuathletics.com/news/2011/5/...x?path=whockey

Comment

Would not surprise me one bit. Kids would have to sit a year, but could be worth the wait.
                                Please get your facts straight.

Comment

Working...
                                X