Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Is BU putting Bennett's name out there to try to gauge a reaction to the hiring of a non BU guy
    Think most BU people would strongly oppose as long as viable internal candidates available

Comment

i think Bennett is a Darn good coach.

Comment

If Bennett had previously coached at BU like a Mike Cavanaugh/BC it would make more sense to me or if there weren't any good candidates in the BU family. Wonder what the salary is and if all the previous candidates mentioned want the job.

Comment

Bennet might be enough to make me finally decide to opt out of my season tickets. Maybe it’s the push over the edge I need.

Comment

If it were Bennett, his teams play disciplined defense and have a high scoring offense, scoring goals in bunches (his wolf pack mentality).
            It's crowd pleasing formula.

Comment

One of a series of tweets.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                If it were Bennett, his teams play disciplined defense and have a high scoring offense, scoring goals in bunches (his wolf pack mentality).
                We get it. Bennett is a good coach. But he’s not Scotty Nowman and there are several good ones who wore Scarlet and White, all of whom have solid behavioral records.

Comment

Mookie decided to take a breath here first.....

But now after reading Bennett wanted the Mack job, he need to bite his tongue and take another walk before commenting again....
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I don't get the infatuation with Bennett. He's made the NCAAs only once in the last four years, while Quinn made the NCAAs 4 years straight (finishing top 8 in 3 of the 4). Sure Bennett won a NC, inheriting a program built up by Nate Leaman, but things seem to have gone downhill since then.

If BU goes "out of the family" for a HC, it should only be for a top-flight big name.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                      I don't get the infatuation with Bennett. He's made the NCAAs only once in the last four years, while Quinn made the NCAAs 4 years straight (finishing top 8 in 3 of the 4). Sure Bennett won a NC, inheriting a program built up by Nate Leaman, but things seem to have gone downhill since then.

If BU goes "out of the family" for a HC, it should only be for a top-flight big name.
                      Exactly! Don't get the Bennett interest. Plus, he couldn't recruit when he was an assistant at PC a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                        We get it. Bennett is a good coach. But he’s not Scotty Nowman and there are several good ones who wore Scarlet and White, all of whom have solid behavioral records.
                        Coach Parker had his share of behavioral records and I don't recall any BU fans having problems with it.

That said, Coach Bennett does have a winning record as a head coach, but a closer look shows over the past five seasons (which includes Union's national championship season of 2013-14) his overall record has not been much different than Coach Quinn's: 110-63-20 vs 105-68-21. As for titles and postseason success, Coach Bennett has 2 regular season titles, 2 tournament titles, 2 NCAA appearances and, of course, one national title to Coach Quinn's 2 regular season titles, 2 tournament titles, 4 NCAA appearances and one national runners-up. However, if you drop 2013-14 (Coach Bennett's best and Coach Quinn's worst) and only look at the past four seasons than Coach Bennett has not done as well: 78-57-16 vs 95-47-17, with one regular season title and one NCAA appearance vs 2 regular season titles, 2 tournament titles and 4 NCAA appearances. So, after a great first 3 seasons at Union Coach Bennett has not done as well. I don't follow recruiting, but it appears to me that some of Coach Bennett's early success may have been due to Coach Leaman's recruiting efforts.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• I don't really care if the coach isn't an alum, if BU is able to hire a successful coach away from an existing college hockey team (Bazin or Leaman, as examples, albeit unlikely). However, Bennett's lack of success for most of his 4 years since winning the national championship in the transition period from Leaman to him, when Union's profile would have been substantially raised, are a big red flag.

I'd much rather an assistant who successfully helped build the program under Quinn, namely Greeley or Albie.

Comment

Per Mike McMahon Sacco "no longer pursuing the job"
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                              Team scoring, team defense and scoring margin over the past five seasons:
                              2013-14
                              BU: 2.31 - 3.23 - -0.91
                              UC: 3.81 - 2.14 - +1.67
                              2014-15
                              BU: 3.85 - 2.32 - +1.54
                              UC: 3.13 - 2.67 - +0.46
                              2015-16
                              BU: 3.18 - 2.72 - +0.46
                              UC: 2.53 - 2.67 - -0.14
                              2016-17
                              BU: 3.15 - 2.31 - +0.85
                              UC: 3.76 - 2.97 - +0.79
                              2017-18
                              BU: 3.10 - 2.62 - +0.48
                              UC: 3.03 - 2.58 - +0.45
                              2013-18 average
                              BU: 3.14 - 2.62 - +0.52
                              UC: 3.27 - 2.60 - +0.67

So, BU has had a better offense 3 out of the 5 seasons, better defense in 2 of the 5 seasons and the better scoring margin in 4 of the 5 seasons. Overall Union's offense and defense has not been much different than BU's over the past 5 seasons.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Per Mike McMahon Sacco "no longer pursuing the job"
                                That's code for he's not a finalist but doesn't want the appearance of not being one

Comment

Working...
                                X