X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for visitor recommendations. I'll be coming up to AK for the Michigan Tech double weekends vs UAA and UAF. I'm planning to fly into Anchorage for the first series, maybe** drive (is a 4WD vehicle going to be needed this time of year?) my way to Fairbanks over the course of the week as I [please provide any recommendations of what to do here] and finally arrive the following Friday for the Tech series vs UAF. On Sunday following the second UAF game I'll be driving back** to Anchorage to catch a late Sunday redeye back to the lower 48.

** One thing I really wanted to do was rent the car one-way from Anchorage to Fairbanks and then take the railroad back. The one way drop fee is over $300 plus the return train ticket which is almost $200. Not really an expense that will be in my budget on top of 10 days in AK. Is there a reasonable way to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks via public transportation? I could always rent one car in Anchorage and return it and then get a separate rental in Fairbanks if there was a way to get North before Friday night. (I see the train only runs North on Sat during the Winter season). Greyhound doesn't seem to exist North of the lower 48 but there are dozens of Alaska bus lines (any recommended going between ANC-FAI airports)?

Any other recommendations for things to do, things to see, seasonal transportation requirements, lodging suggestions (especially during the week near either city), etc. Looking forward to getting back to Anchorage and seeing Fairbanks for the first time. Feel free to post your suggestions here (at the risk of boring the locals) or email me directly at info@johnsonsjerseys.net - thanks!

Ryan J
    Honestly I would just fly, on Alaska Airlines it should be around $125 one way. Cab's aren't that bad here in AK. Unless you plan to drive to Chena Hot Springs or really anyplace outside our fine cities, that's my suggestion. I know there are ride share programs, but Anchorage to Fairbanks, good luck. Downside of being the largest state with one of the smallest populations.

Fairbanks area: Chena Hot Springs, Turtle Sex Park if you are into abstract art, the dump, other than that beats me.

Anchorage area: rent a bike and complete our Solar System Challenge sun is downtown and it ends some ~15 miles at Kincaid Park.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
      Very telling that Bill Spindle resigned and is moving to Texas AM San Antonio. People are jumping ship to get out of there!
      Wolfman ...as they say........ you have your ear on the rail.

Bill ....... Thanks for being a Seawolf and a friend of Steve.
      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 10-14-2016, 12:12 AM.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Very telling that Bill Spindle resigned and is moving to Texas AM San Antonio. People are jumping ship to get out of there!
        Come on....UAA vs T A&M
        Love our University but difficult to compare it with the huge, all moneyed up schools.
        I don't see it as jumping ship as much as a savvy career move.
        Same with going to Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
          Come on....UAA vs T A&M
          Love our University but difficult to compare it with the huge, all moneyed up schools.
          I don't see it as jumping ship as much as a savvy career move.
          Same with going to Brown.
          Exactly. He will be vice president for Business Affairs and chief financial officer for Texas A&M. Who wouldn't want that opportunity? And in a warm climate to boot.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Exactly. He will be vice president for Business Affairs and chief financial officer for Texas A&M. Who wouldn't want that opportunity? And in a warm climate to boot.
            Texas A&M-San Antonio is 3X smaller than UAA. It is a tiny start up school in a miserably hot location (in the summer). So, actually, it is a "step down." Who ever told you that he was going to Texas A&M (which is in College Station) is false.

Comment

Texas A&M-San Antonio is 3X smaller than UAA. It is a tiny start up school in a miserably hot location (in the summer). So, actually, it is a "step down." Who ever told you that he was going to Texas A&M (which is in College Station) is false.
              Hey, San Antonio is a great city!

GFM <— lived there from 1979-83
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

the new raise............ you have a job.

smart move. .........4043 miles southeast of Puzzle Palace
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

How many times were you or your friends on Cops? don't fib.....

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

It is a great city, this is where I live!!!! I am just saying the summer's are miserable because it is so dang HOT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                      How many times were you or your friends on Cops? don't fib.....
                      It's hard to be on COPS when you're in pre-school, and my dad was in the Air Force at the time, so ...

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        It's hard to be on COPS when you're in pre-school

GFM
                        Mississippi begs to differ

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Mississippi begs to differ
                          ... another place that I also lived.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

goseawolves.com with a redesign of their site, pretty swanky, wonder how much it cost?
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

The Aces are also in dire straights:

https://www.adn.com/sports/aces/2016...e-bottom-line/

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                The Aces are also in dire straights:

https://www.adn.com/sports/aces/2016...e-bottom-line/
                                Called it.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X