Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota '16 - '17 Season Thread - Let's Do It Again

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    You probably won't get more than 500 from BU and Ohio State combined...the only "issue" might be with Duluth, whose fans would certainly go but couldn't buy tickets until they knew for sure which regional they would be in. So my guess is they sold 90% in advance and only held out 10%. (Well, probably more like they sold 70%, gave 20% to the NCAA and the rest held out).
    The other issue might be that for the Duluth allotment I may or may not be on the UMD callback list for 2 tickets

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      just pay attention to #8 cloonan. Bu hasn't lost a game that he has scored in this entire season.
      :d
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

please go easy on our boys!!! thanks for your consideration here...
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
          The other issue might be that for the Duluth allotment I may or may not be on the UMD callback list for 2 tickets
          Well if they were smart, they'd restrict it to UMD season ticket holders so that North Dakota fans would have a lot more trouble getting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
            Well if they were smart, they'd restrict it to UMD season ticket holders so that North Dakota fans would have a lot more trouble getting them.
            Yup, UMD is probably just looking to sell their entire allotment though. UMD fans travel like crap for their team which makes sense because they hardly ever sell out their nice new arena. I know many UND fans got tix through UMD, OSU on the other hand did make sure you were a season ticket holder.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              please go easy on our boys!!! thanks for your consideration here...
              Ha! Leave a half dozen of those first rounders home and we'll consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                Yup, UMD is probably just looking to sell their entire allotment though. UMD fans travel like crap for their team which makes sense because they hardly ever sell out their nice new arena. I know many UND fans got tix through UMD, OSU on the other hand did make sure you were a season ticket holder.
                Well, DU doesn't travel well, possibly even worse than UMD even though they have better local attendance, and even they required you be a season ticket holder for the Frozen Four last year. I understand it's a little different for the Frozen Four but still..

I'm in the process of getting my tickets to Cinci from DU and it doesn't look like they are requiring you to be a season ticket holder, but there's going to be LOTS of empty seats in that arena. I wonder what DU would have done if they were sent to Fargo...

Also, every team travels like crap compared to North Dakota fans!
                Last edited by Riz; 03-21-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                  There will be 7 NHL first-round draft picks playing in Fargo regional this weekend (Jost, Boeser, Keller, McAvoy, Bellows, Fabbro, Tufte).
                  Plus a possible 8th in Oettinger. Though my guess is that he will drop to the top of the2nd round. I think he was the youngest player in D-1 this year.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Also, every team travels like crap compared to North Dakota fans!
                    See...I think you just hit on something there. IMO, that's the reason the NCAA is "considering" (supposedly) going back to campus sites. It might be OK for the "wealthy" basketball fans (or perhaps there are just more of them so a "fraction" is still a lot larger than the hockey fan base) to travel THREE TIMES to see their team play, but it's not very feasible in hockey. Playing a round on campus sites would increase attendance (well, purportedly - I hesitate to say the word "increase" as it pertains to attendance at all given the last few years' attendance history)...well, it would at least REDUCE the amount of travel.

The other issue is regional. In the East, EVERY regional is within a two-hour drive of my house (and most less than an hour). You have 20 Division 1 schools that play hockey in New England alone. This results in not only being able to spend less to follow your team, it frees up time and money in the event that your team DOES make it to the Frozen Four. Many people (I know I can't do it because of work) cannot take two out of three weekends "off" to travel to regionals and then the FF. It's even WORSE in the West, where the majority of people have to travel EVERYWHERE.

I don't know what the answer is. Some will say "But if you have it on campus sites, in the West the ONLY people that don't have to fly are fans of the home team." But in the East, it's relatively easy to go to almost ANY of the onsite venues because of the close proximity of everything here. So maybe you keep the "neutral" regionals in the East and have it on campus sites in the West?

The reality is, until the sport becomes more than a niche sport, I'm afraid attendance is just going to be what it is...low. (And don't tell me how we are "growing" the sport all over the Milky Way...because the attendance figures don't bear that out). You may get PLAYERS from Arizona and Texas and California (thanks to freeon, which allows them to freeze water in 100 degree temperatures), but that doesn't mean that COLLEGE HOCKEY is popular there. A good percentage of people who GO to a game grew up PLAYING the game. Also, if your school doesn't play it, you're not going to watch it. More people watch water polo at UCLA and don't even THINK about hockey. Also, it's much easier to shoot a ball through a hoop. The only cost is a ball and finding a playground. The cost of playing hockey, given the equipment, ice time, etc. is insane. Hockey will NEVER be as popular as basketball (I mention basketball specifically because it is played the same time of year and hockey - comparisons to baseball and football are irrelevant). The fact that rosters are littered with people from areas that never used to produce hockey players should not be interpreted as "growing" the game. Yeah, people will go to a Frozen Four in Anaheim or Tampa. But look who's going. Fans of the school, of where the game is played, or, in some cases, because it's a novelty and they'll never see college hockey for another ten years.

Comment

They did for the most part so almost all of them went to UMD fans. Some UND fans bought them but that's not surprising.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Article with some quotes from BU players/coaches on match-up with North Dakota:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...h-dakota-fargo
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

There's a better article in the GF Herald.
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

What's the word on Poolman? People were saying it looked season ending when he went down last weekend. Haven't heard anything this week.
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                              What's the word on Poolman? People were saying it looked season ending when he went down last weekend. Haven't heard anything this week.
                              Initially Berry said he would play tomorrow but it appears that may or may not be the case. We might not find out until shortly before game time. I'm not optimistic he will play.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                                Initially Berry said he would play tomorrow but it appears that may or may not be the case. We might not find out until shortly before game time. I'm not optimistic he will play.
                                Saw that he skated today. Berry said he looked good and that he would make the decision tomorrow.
                                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Working...
                                X