Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Two evenly matched teams tonight. It was frustrating to think that NU didn't play their best in the past two weeks when it really mattered. It's hard to frown on a season with a Beanpot but...with the talent they had, losing the past two weeks feels a little hollow. Thanks to the team for a great season, it was a lot of fun.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Michigan basically took Providence's playbook from last week and neutralized our first line. They clogged the area between the circles and cut down on our passing lanes. Lets face it, we really only had one scoring line and when they were shutdown, no other line picked up the slack.

Anyhow, great season and I look forward to next year. What's the odds that Gaudette returns for his senior season? Based on what I saw this season, I hope we got some goal scorers coming in because we are losing the only three we had (if Gaudette goes).
      "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Vancouver is making a big push to sign him. I'd be stunned if he returns. Had you guys winning this regional, tough way for it to end against PC and Michigan.

Comment

Tough loss but we got beat fair and square. The refs weren’t calling anything tonight and that never favors us. Gonna be a much different looking team next year. I hope Madigan recruits some size in the future. We don’t need a huge team like Michigan but we do need some bigger bodies. Hopefully an exciting off season.
          These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

I just got home. I've gone from very sad after the game to very angry about how we played to frustrated about the team not playing up to its full potential to currently just being somber about a season ending, one with historic levels of success, yet ending sooner than any of us wanted and thought it should. I understand everyone saying we could have/should have achieved more than what we did. That's all valid. But think about it- 6 NU teams in 80+ seasons have made the NCAA Tournament. Only 5 have won the Beanpot. This team was one of those. This team was special, featuring three of the best players we've ever seen on our campus. This season, going into it, we thought we could contend for Hockey East, contend for the Beanpot, contend for the NCAAs. This team exceeded many preseason expectations including some of our own on this board. This was a very good season that could have been great. I would not trade the Beanpot for a win today, as I saw one NU fan propose. Heck, I'm not sure I'd trade that Beanpot for one visit to the Frozen Four, where nothing after is guaranteed.

I'll have more thoughts coming to the blog in the coming days. Right now, I'm sad that another year is over, sad to see our slate of seniors who brought so much to this program graduate, sad to see one of the best goal scorers, and best overall players, in program history get ready to jump to the NHL...I'm sullen more than anything right now.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Also, what are your thoughts on Jerry Keefe coming back next year? I have heard that he is one of the top targets for the Merrimack head coaching job.
              "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

What happened? Looks like coach **** his pants???? Did anyone see look on his face with 5 minutes to go?

Comment

Looks like a coach **** it bad.

Comment

• take your meds black1, hope it helps.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      take your meds black1, hope it helps.
                      I hope they don’t. This utterly useless tool likes to rub salt in others’ wounds. He doesn’t deserve relief from his own misery!

Comment

Stings... salt hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
                          It's hard to frown on a season with a Beanpot but...
                          No it's not. Why do we all give a **** about the Beanpot? It doesn't make this loss, or losing to Providence in the Hockey East semifinals any easier. It's a four team tournament played every year. Statistically, if you're not anticipating winning it at least once every four years, you already have a loser's attitude. The win in the Beanpot this year doesn't mean success, it means finally being able to step out from underneath this embarrassing cloud NU has been standing under for years.

If Michigan had won the Great Lakes Invitational this year but lost in this first round game, would their fans have also said "it's hard to frown upon a season with GLI win?" I mean, it's an annual four team tournament that Michigan participates in. Why would that be any different? A win there = success! /sarcasm

Going into the tournament:

Top 5 offense
                          Top 5 defense
                          Top 5 goalie
                          2nd in PP %
                          2 of top 3 skaters in the country
                          A respectable PK that has worked hard to get to top ~20

I'm tired of rooting for a loser, and my expectations are too high at this point. Why wouldn't they be? Let's not keep making excuses. This was a team that simply didn't show up for their game tonight.
                          On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                          If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

sure wanted another shot.... but all y'all had to be expecting yet another 0-fer-2 finish like every other season.

better luck next time. been there, done that.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post
                              No it's not. Why do we all give a **** about the Beanpot? It doesn't make this loss, or losing to Providence in the Hockey East semifinals any easier. It's a four team tournament played every year. Statistically, if you're not anticipating winning it at least once every four years, you already have a loser's attitude. The win in the Beanpot this year doesn't mean success, it means finally being able to step out from underneath this embarrassing cloud NU has been standing under for years.

If Michigan had won the Great Lakes Invitational this year but lost in this first round game, would their fans have also said "it's hard to frown upon a season with GLI win?" I mean, it's an annual four team tournament that Michigan participates in. Why would that be any different? A win there = success! /sarcasm

Going into the tournament:

Top 5 offense
                              Top 5 defense
                              Top 5 goalie
                              2nd in PP %
                              2 of top 3 skaters in the country
                              A respectable PK that has worked hard to get to top ~20

I'm tired of rooting for a loser, and my expectations are too high at this point. Why wouldn't they be? Let's not keep making excuses. This was a team that simply didn't show up for their game tonight.
                              they def were off tonight. but this class, these guys won the Hockey East Championship 2016, NCAA, Beanpot 2018, NCAA.. its getting better.
                              These seniors & others that were a part of that, its all good. We were down twice tonight, (on a night kids didnt look particularly sharp).. came back twice. credit to opponent, they made one more play. that's the game. The hockey experience has gotten so much better, we have 2 Hobey finalists. Its heading right.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

It's a testament to just how far this program has come that we're on here expressing profound frustration and disappointment instead of thanking the hockey gods for whatever crumbs they might have deigned to throw our way. So we got a Beanpot, and in another day and age that would have been quite enough. No more.

NU hockey has finally come of age.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X