X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Based on a study I was working using data for the last 20 years of college hockey. I compared the final three seasons of the predecessor with the first three seasons of the successor. Only six program who had a .500+ record promoted an assistant.
    Many thanks for your analysis! Since you have the data, how many successful programs hired a former assistant and continued their success?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

Comment

Regardless of whether or not you take a current/past assistant from your own team or someone from outside the program, you should expect a flatline for a couple seasons, if not a dip in terms of team success. Unless the next coach bought into the last coach's vision 100%, most will want to tweak how the team will play and will want players that fit that system. That means the team struggles to learn a new system, some players depart who don't believe in that system and it takes a few years to fill the pipeline with new talent who buy into that coach's system. That's the biggest danger of being breeding ground for future great coaches and turning them over every 4-5 years. (Well unless you're one of those teams that has a half-dozen first round draft picks on your roster every season, then is likely matters less, but talent isn't the ultimate factor in success - see BU.) I think Tech's best case scenario for the next head coach is to take the best combination of current ability and their desire to stay long term. If they have 80% of Pearson's ability but they would be content to lead Tech for the next 20 years, then I think you go with that person and hope they learn something along the way and improve themselves as well. If Tech manages to be a tourney team one or both of the next two seasons under a 1st year head coach, I think that would be above expectations.
      Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Well, I think we're stopping profiles at 16 everyone...hope you checked them out because I'm pretty sure the next head coach will be one of them...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Well, I think we're stopping profiles at 16 everyone...hope you checked them out because I'm pretty sure the next head coach will be one of them...
          Thanks for all the work to put those profiles up. It shows the remarkable level of enthusiasm that exists for Tech hockey. I can't think of any other programs that had anything like the THG analysis. I'll be stunned if it's someone we missed. I hope we get Rolston, but I'd be pleased with Schuchuk, Shawhan or Muckalt.

Comment

I was surprised that your Oz profile didn't mention that he was fired in Columbus after only 3 seasons, and didn't seem to be very well-liked by tOSU administrators or fans. I don't think the full story has ever come out on exactly what happened though.
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Great work, read each one at least once, now the real question(s) Any word? Any clue? Suzanne in town? Glenn? As big a hire as Mel was, in many ways this one is bigger for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Great work, read each one at least once, now the real question(s) Any word? Any clue? Suzanne in town? Glenn? As big a hire as Mel was, in many ways this one is bigger for the program.
                I have plenty that I believe to be true but most of it cannot be published yet. Stay tuned.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Here is the full list of profiles, I'm 99% sure the next head coach will be one of these guys:
                  Bill Muckalt, The Protégé, Tri-City (USHL) HC
                  Ron Rolston, The Thoroughbred, Springfield (AHL) HC
                  Cam Ellsworth, The Young Gun, UMass Lowell (HEA) AC
                  Joe Shawhan, The Yooper, Michigan Tech AC
                  Seth Appert, The Veteran, RPI (ECAC) HC
                  Davis Payne, The Professional, Los Angeles (NHL) AC
                  Damon Whitten, The Spartan, LSSU (WCHA) HC
                  Dane Jackson, The Champion, UND (NCHC) AC
                  Keith Fisher, The Disciple, PSU (B1G) AC
                  Chris Bergeron, The Rival, BGSU (WCHA) HC
                  Gary Shuchuk, The Citizen, Michigan Tech AC
                  Pat Mikesch, The Phoenix, Green Bay (USHL) HC
                  Ben Barr, The Engineer, UMass (HEA) AC
                  Brett Larson, The Bulldog, UMD (NCHC) AC
                  Mark Osiecki, The Badger, Wisconsin (B1G) AC
                  Todd Knott, The Maverick, Minnesota State (WCHA) AC
                  Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-08-2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I would say, of the 16 profiled (and pretending they've all applied), I would be happiest with one of Rolston, Muckalt, or Shawhan. For a choice that's more out of left field, I think Payne or Jackson could certainly be good fits, but the job will be a harder sell. We all know Bergeron and Oz likely aren't interested. After that, with all due respect, the rest of the list feels like a speculative list of applicants from 2003, sans the D3 coaches.

But what do I know?

Comment

I've created a poll:
                      http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Michigan-Tech

Comment

Woohoo, I'm the first voter!!
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I would say, of the 16 profiled (and pretending they've all applied), I would be happiest with one of Rolston, Muckalt, or Shawhan. For a choice that's more out of left field, I think Payne or Jackson could certainly be good fits, but the job will be a harder sell. We all know Bergeron and Oz likely aren't interested. After that, with all due respect, the rest of the list feels like a speculative list of applicants from 2003, sans the D3 coaches.

But what do I know?
                          I'm sure a few on the list didn't apply (most likely Bergeron, Payne, Osiecki, Jackson, and Appert).
                          Some of these guys just don't seem to fit that well upon examination (Barr, Knott, and Whitten).
                          The rest...who knows.

Comment

I'm sure a few on the list didn't apply (most likely Bergeron, Payne, Osiecki, Jackson, and Appert).
                            Some of these guys just don't seem to fit that well upon examination (Barr, Knott, and Whitten).
                            The rest...who knows.
                            You don't think Payne would take a shot?
                            2005-2006: 7-25-6
                            2006-2007: 18-17-5
                            2007-2008: 14-20-5
                            2008-2009: 6-25-7
                            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                              You don't think Payne would take a shot?
                              I was told he'd be open to listening but I don't think he applied.

Comment

Has there been any confirmation at all that Rolston has even applied?

Comment

Working...
                                X