X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    It's all fun, but I want that 9th to tie Michigan.
    Why stop there?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      Also, they are in the little six, so someone has to win the conference.
      You'd think....
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Well, it is that time of year again, and I wanted to give a quick preview on how the NCAA Tournament may impact these rankings before the NCAA Tournament officially starts.

In order of Pairwise Ranking:

#1 - Denver

Denver finished 6th in these rankings after last season, but the Pios have had a great season thus far. They won't be caught by Wisconsin for 6th position, and with a National Championship will almost certainly surpass both BC and BU for 4th place. DU won't be able to catch Minnesota for 3rd, but given their strong season this year, the Pioneers will be within another national title of surpassing the Gophers.

#2 - Minnesota Duluth

Duluth finished 16th in these rankings after last season, and is unlikely to be caught by anyone, with the possible exception of Providence. With a Frozen Four run, the Bulldogs will be within barking distance of Clarkson, and a trip to the National Title game likely will result in at least a 15th finish. If UMD wins the national title, they could jump as high as 11th, depending on what Cornell and Harvard do in the NCAA Tournament.

#3 - Harvard

Speaking of the Crimson, Harvard finished 14th in these rankings last season, and have put together a solid 2016-2017 campaign with both ECAC titles in hand. With a National Title, Harvard is a threat to crack the Top 10. A Frozen Four run and/or National Title game appearance is likely necessary to jump CC and perhaps LSSU.

#4 - Minnesota

The Gophers finished 3rd after last season's rankings, and they are in rankings purgatory as they cannot move up or down. With a National Title, Minnesota will find themselves just outside the Top 2 discussion. It would likely take a national title for either BU or DU for those schools to come close to Goldy.

#5 - Massachusetts Lowell

The Riverhawks finished 34th after last season, so they can make a big leap in these rankings depending on how far they can go. Moving up one spot is highly likely, and with a Frozen Four run, UML could crack the top 30. A National Title likely puts Lowell somewhere in the top 25.

#6 - Western Michigan

WMU finished 41st after last season. If the Broncos can finally get that elusive NCAA Tournament victory, they will likely push the top 40. A Frozen Four trip likely moves Western somewhere in the high-30s. A national title game appearance will likely boost the Broncos into the mid-30s, and a national championship could rocked them to the cusp of the Top 25.

#7 - Boston University

BU finished 5th after last season, and, like Denver, can finish no worse than 6th. A Frozen Four run would likely move the Terriers past arch-rival BC, and a National Title would guarantee a 4th finish.

#8 - Union

The Dutchmen finished 24th after last season, one of the biggest movers over the last five years. Union can move up a spot or two with a Frozen Four run, and would likely crack the Top 20 with a National Title. Barring a national title run from a team below them, it is unlikely that the Dutchmen will drop below the 24th spot, although they will always be #26 in our hearts.

#9 - Penn State

Penn State finished 56th after last season. Pedophile State University will almost certainly see a jump in the rankings based solely on their run this season. The Nittany Lions would push the Top 40 with a Frozen Four run, and could creep up to the top half of the rankings with a National Championship.

#10 - North Dakota

The Sioux finished 1st after last season, and will almost certainly remain on top after this season. North Dakota can pad its lead, and would likely put the top spot out of reach next season with a National Championship this season.

#11 - Cornell

Cornell finished 11th after last season. The Big Red can crack the top 10 with a Frozen Four run and a first round loss by Tech. Cornell can move past Maine as well with a National Title game appearance, but that will be as far as they can move this season. They are also at risk of being caught from behind if Harvard or Duluth make strong runs.

#12 - Air Force

The Falcons finished 44th after last season. Air Force has a chance to move up even with a first round loss, and could jump into the top 40 with a win or two in the Regionals. A Frozen Four birth likely would place the Academy somewhere in the mid- to upper-30, and a National Title would vault the Falcons into the top half of the rankings.

#13 - Notre Dame

The Irish came in at 27th after last season. With a Frozen Four birth, Notre Dame likely will crack the top 25, and could find itself on the edge of the top 20 with a national title.

#14 - Providence

The Friars finished last season 19th, and are looking for another miracle run ala 2015. PC can supplant New Hampshire for 18th with a Frozen Four birth, and would push Duluth for the 16th position with a National Title.

#15 - Ohio State

After last season, the Buckeyes came in at #35. OSU can move up a few spots with a regional final appearance, but it would likely take a National Title Game appearance to crack the top 30. A National Championship would put the Buckeyes within shouting distance of Union at #24.

#16 - Michigan Tech

The Huskies finished last season at #10. Tech could move up to #9 with a Frozen Four run, but is in danger of being caught by Cornell and Harvard if the Huskies slip up against Denver.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          Whah.......... we knew that it was likely over but now it's official. Hopefully we can put together a good season with all of the kids we have coming in. Michigan basically has to reload every year so this won't seem extra difficult. Let's just hope who we are bringing in is as good as advertised. And of course the goalie situation...
          Well, it was. That was evident by our worst season since the early 80's? Wow that was ugly...
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I was just glancing at the numbers to see what effect certain teams winning the national championship this weekend would have on the rest of the field. One interesting possibility is that a Notre Dame national championship could leap Michigan over North Dakota for the #1 spot. Something to keep an eye out for if Notre Dame wins it all on Saturday.

The race for #4 is going to be extremely tight as well. If DU wins a game this weekend, they will almost certainly take over the #4 spot. If not, DU likely gains ground on BC/BU, but will be just shy. BC and BU are going to be very, very close.

A national title will put Harvard and Michigan Tech in a dead heat for the #10 spot, and it looks like Minnesota Duluth can jump as high as about 11th-12th if they hoist their second national championship.

Notre Dame likely maxes out at 22nd, but could sneak in the top 20 if the results play out just right. Either way, they will be right on the cusp of the top 20 if they win their first national title.

Good luck to Denver, Harvard, Minnesota Duluth, and Notre Dame today and, for those that advance, Saturday. I will be crunching the numbers as early as Saturday evening and hope to complete the post 2016-2017 rankings by Easter. I will post here when I'm done, and will likely ask for some help again in posting the results to this thread.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 04-06-2017, 08:46 AM.
            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              I was just glancing at the numbers to see what effect certain teams winning the national championship this weekend would have on the rest of the field. One interesting possibility is that a Notre Dame national championship could leap Michigan over North Dakota for the #1 spot. Something to keep an eye out for if Notre Dame wins it all on Saturday.

The race for #4 is going to be extremely tight as well. If DU wins a game this weekend, they will almost certainly take over the #4 spot. If not, DU likely gains ground on BC/BU, but will be just shy. BC and BU are going to be very, very close.

A national title will put Harvard and Michigan Tech in a dead heat for the #10 spot, and it looks like Minnesota Duluth can jump as high as about 11th-12th if they hoist their second national championship.

Notre Dame likely maxes out at 22nd, but could sneak in the top 20 if the results play out just right. Either way, they will be right on the cusp of the top 20 if they win their first national title.

Good luck to Denver, Harvard, Minnesota Duluth, and Notre Dame today and, for those that advance, Saturday. I will be crunching the numbers as early as Saturday evening and hope to complete the post 2016-2017 rankings by Easter. I will post here when I'm done, and will likely ask for some help again in posting the results to this thread.
              Uggggghhhhhh....but I can't root for Notre Dame.

Comment

Uggggghhhhhh....but I can't root for Notre Dame.
                Well, turns out it wouldn't have mattered.

Denver's win should lock up the #1 spot for North Dakota, and should push the Pios back to #4.
                North Dakota

Comment

the Pios

Huh?

Comment

Huh?
                    The University of Denver Pioneers.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Side note it should be Greatest programs of all time #1- #60

Other side note, is it really not up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Side note it should be Greatest programs of all time #1- #60

Other side note, is it really not up yet?
                        Arizona State had not added its program when I started this iteration of the thread (The original was only #1-58, as Penn State had not added its program when I first finished the calculations). Rest assured, when this thread reaches its maximum posts, I will start a new thread correctly noting 60 programs.

And I know...I'm a slacker. It typically takes me about a week or two to enter in the numbers and do the double-triple check to ensure accuracy. I should have the rankings ready probably a bit after Easter. I will likely be asking for a volunteer or two to help post the rankings similar to how previous rankings have been posted.

All that being said, expect Denver to add a huge amount of points...similar to what North Dakota did last season. This year's DU squad was one of the most dominant teams of all-time. No question they are #4. Big question will be how close they got to Minnesota for #3.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Arizona State had not added its program when I started this iteration of the thread (The original was only #1-58, as Penn State had not added its program when I first finished the calculations). Rest assured, when this thread reaches its maximum posts, I will start a new thread correctly noting 60 programs. And I know...I'm a slacker. It typically takes me about a week or two to enter in the numbers and do the double-triple check to ensure accuracy. I should have the rankings ready probably a bit after Easter. I will likely be asking for a volunteer or two to help post the rankings similar to how previous rankings have been posted. All that being said, expect Denver to add a huge amount of points...similar to what North Dakota did last season. This year's DU squad was one of the most dominant teams of all-time. No question they are #4. Big question will be how close they got to Minnesota for #3.
                          Yeah I know I was just added to the thread to close it out so you can start fresh at 1-60

And someone has to keep the pressure on.

Great season by Denver

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Yeah I know I was just added to the thread to close it out so you can start fresh at 1-60

And someone has to keep the pressure on.

Great season by Denver
                            Sounds good to me.

Given that we won't be able to finish unveiling the Top 60 programs by the time this thread closes, perhaps we can get to 1000 by the time I have the numbers all in. That way, it will be a fresh start.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

(bump)
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I agree - it would be good to start a new thread before we start the listing and we should fill the remaining posts up.

Did this help?
                                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Working...
                                X