Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Just a theory, the cuts of Carpenter and Bozek? The US lineup is full of BC and UMn players. Some might argue Carpenter was the best offensive player on the team and Bozek the best defensive player, and maybe they were vocal leaders on the team, or the most popular players on the team. Any chance Stauber thought they were having a negative influence on the other members of the team? That the team wasn't listening to him? So his cutting these two and replacing them with younger players may have been a move to regain control of the team?

I'm in no way an expert and I have absolutely no inside information, maybe there were other reasons? I just have a hard time figuring out in my head what they could be?

Any ideas?
    Seems too close to the games. That would have made sense this summer if that was his thinking

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      . . . experts to try to figure out what is different at the Olympics.

You say, "I want to win at Olympia." ...If you do, you will have to obey instructions, eat according to regulations, keep away from desserts, exercise on a fixed schedule at definite hours, in both heat and cold; you must not drink cold water nor can you have a drink of wine whenever you want. You must hand yourself over to your coach exactly as you would to a doctor. Then in the contest itself you must gouge and be gouged, there will be times when you will sprain a wrist, turn your ankle, swallow mouthfuls of sand, and be flogged. And after all that there are times when you lose.

Epictetus, Discourses 15.2-5, trans. W.E. Sweet
      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-01-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
        Just a theory, the cuts of Carpenter and Bozek? The US lineup is full of BC and UMn players. Some might argue Carpenter was the best offensive player on the team and Bozek the best defensive player, and maybe they were vocal leaders on the team, or the most popular players on the team. Any chance Stauber thought they were having a negative influence on the other members of the team? That the team wasn't listening to him? So his cutting these two and replacing them with younger players may have been a move to regain control of the team?

I'm in no way an expert and I have absolutely no inside information, maybe there were other reasons? I just have a hard time figuring out in my head what they could be?

Any ideas?
        Don't let that hold you back. We need another theory now that the others have been debunked, and yours does have a conspiracy flavor to it...

Considering just about every player on the team was a captain of their team (too many captains not enough soldiers), and considering most of them are either from WI, MN, or BC, and that Bozek was the captain of the 41-0 MN team on which many of the MN players were on, and Carpenter the captain of the 41-0 BC team … oops! 40-1 team that many of the BC players were on, and that the formal captains and informal leadership are NOT MN or BC, cutting a few captains could be a good thing.
        I said could be.

I too wonder about the small blueliners, skilled hockey players yes, but when push comes to shove, and filling space ...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          Don't let that hold you back. We need another theory now that the others have been debunked, and yours does have a conspiracy flavor to it...

Considering just about every player on the team was a captain of their team (too many captains not enough soldiers), and considering most of them are either from WI, MN, or BC, and that Bozek was the captain of the 41-0 MN team on which many of the MN players were on, and Carpenter the captain of the 41-0 BC team … oops! 40-1 team that many of the BC players were on, and that the formal captains and informal leadership are NOT MN or BC, cutting a few captains could be a good thing.
          I said could be.

I too wonder about the small blueliners, skilled hockey players yes, but when push comes to shove, and filling space ...
          Cutting Carpenter will prove to be a huge mistake. Dominant offensive player, tough, smart...Gotta be more to the story... because on talent alone, she's a top 6 forward on that team.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
            Cutting Carpenter will prove to be a huge mistake. Dominant offensive player, tough, smart...Gotta be more to the story... because on talent alone, she's a top 6 forward on that team.
            Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
              Cutting Carpenter will prove to be a huge mistake.
              I agree, but there will be no way to quantify it. If they don't win gold with her not being there will it only be a small part of the story with how each game played out being the main points of discussion.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I still can't figure out on what planet Amanda Pelkey makes the team over Alex Carpenter, unless Stauber wants more defensive zone turnovers.
                "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  Size and strength can be important in hockey as in other sports, but as someone pointed out to me here, height is not always the determining factor in who wins. After all a 5' 8" middleweight Harry Greb gave the 6' future heavyweight champion Gene Tunney the only loss of his career in 68 fights. He did it by out boxing the big US Marine and former Ontario lumberjack.

No more boxing analogies, I promise. I'm just trying to be positive, but still can't understand why they would cut Carpenter and Bozek. It wasn't all a "Dallas" dream I guess.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I agree, but there will be no way to quantify it. If they don't win gold with her not being there will it only be a small part of the story with how each game played out being the main points of discussion.
                    lol. really? how about if they don't score? quantify that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                      I still can't figure out on what planet Amanda Pelkey makes the team over Alex Carpenter, unless Stauber wants more defensive zone turnovers.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                        unless Stauber wants more defensive zone turnovers.
                        Wasn't that why he added another bc defenseman... love the burn gif btw
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          What’s the Oscar/Emmy/Tony equivalent for outstanding performance on a USCHO thread?

Comment

The Brülés????
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              lol. really? how about if they don't score? quantify that.
                              They will score, but we will never know how much Carpenter would have increased it. If they get shut out, there will be plenty of heat for the players on the team to take and the coach/GM.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                                What’s the Oscar/Emmy/Tony equivalent for outstanding performance on a USCHO thread?
                                Granty (Grammy already taken)

Comment

Working...
                                X