Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...gan/994750001/

Oh my god!! Mel is/was never critical? And was always a fountain of positive joyous praise... give me a ****ing break. Here is his post game interview after the BG game at the GLi. I'm sure that if you go back through all the Mel shows and post game interviews during his time at Tech you can find numerous times were he says rather bluntly that the team didn't play well that game. and the play needs to get better....

Last season, the Friday game against State at Munn, I was sitting 1st row right behind the Tech bench. When State got that weak one against Redmond Mel's reaction was more that OHH...

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Watch this, tell me what you think. Watch for details, want to see if others see and hear the same things I do.

https://www.flohockey.tv/video/60832...boston-college

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Looks and sounds like coaching to me.. If Tech's players are so sensitive that they require constant cheerleading then why have a coach. Just put some cheerleaders behind the bench with pom poms.. sis boom bah rah rah rah you guys are playing so hard just keeping doing what you're doing mistakes and all Rah Rah Rah Rah!

Comment

I remember when Tech put a mic on Mel for a practice. During the practice he made fun of one of the freshmen. The guy's face turned ashen and it was two years before he contributed much. So they all do it, sure, but in all honestly, criticizing a player in public is a mistake. Coaching a player, even with the exact same words, said in a different way is expected- it's a fine line.

Also there are roles to be filled by a staff. When Mel was an assistant there was one role,( there were several TV things about Mel that highlighted his role at Mich) but during his time as HC he didn't reinvent that role, he assumed another role. Maybe that's something that needs to happen here.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
          Looks and sounds like coaching to me.. If Tech's players are so sensitive that they require constant cheerleading then why have a coach. Just put some cheerleaders behind the bench with pom poms.. sis boom bah rah rah rah you guys are playing so hard just keeping doing what you're doing mistakes and all Rah Rah Rah Rah!
          Different players respond to different motivational styles. Is the way to get the best performance out of Mark Auk to get in his face and yell, "No, look at me! I don't want to see that head-shaking, 'down' stuff. Move the puck quicker."? If it's not, Joe had better try something else. And I'm sure he thinks about that. In the College Hockey Nation episode with Tech/BG, the Bowling Green players specifically mention that Chris Bergeron will use whatever approach works for each player.

It's probably also worth mentioning that we saw no more than 30 seconds of bench footage from that game with Boston College, and the director/editor no doubt selected clips that added the most tension.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I remember when Tech put a mic on Mel for a practice. During the practice he made fun of one of the freshmen. The guy's face turned ashen and it was two years before he contributed much. So they all do it, sure, but in all honestly, criticizing a player in public is a mistake. Coaching a player, even with the exact same words, said in a different way is expected- it's a fine line.

Also there are roles to be filled by a staff. When Mel was an assistant there was one role,( there were several TV things about Mel that highlighted his role at Mich) but during his time as HC he didn't reinvent that role, he assumed another role. Maybe that's something that needs to happen here.
            I remember that clip. Was it Sturos? I remember seeing at least one clip were he was after Sturos pretty hard.
            Certainly the roles of Assistant and Head Coach are different. And as you say there is no doubt a leaning curve involved.

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
            It's probably also worth mentioning that we saw no more than 30 seconds of bench footage from that game with Boston College, and the director/editor no doubt selected clips that added the most tension.
            Nailed it

Comment

In my personal opinion too much said on the bench can be detrimental. I was on opposite side of the ice for the ASU game and there seemed to be constant interactions between the coach and players as they came off the ice. RJ mentioned way back that most was positive. If that's the case I'm ok with it but picking apart a guys game constantly can't help.You do that in practice or between periods.
              Watch Asst. Coach in one of the first interactions, crosses arms, looks uncomfortable, Neville also trying to avoid eye contact with guys.
              Maybe I reading too much into it but I think Coach needs to relax a bit. I think he may be putting too much pressure on himself and it spilling over to the players. Maybe they're all a bit tight in the close games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

It is certainly a possibility that the Coach is putting pressure on himself and that the players are feeling it.

As to Neville, to me it seems more like he's trying to avoid eye contact with the camera than with the players. I think reading body language is not as straight forward as it seems. If we have 100 people view that clip we might get 100 different takes on what it means.

Short little article on reading body language. #2 and #3 under "Mistakes" might apply here. And hmmm... #1 and #2 under the "Right Signals" are rather interesting as well
                https://www.dilenschneider.com/files..._31680_web.pdf

Comment

Game day. Games are now pretty much must wins for the Huskies if they hope to grab home ice.

12 games left (10 league- 2 non-con) if Tech can manage 7 wins they'd hit last years regular season win total. I should think going one game above .500 is doable. It will probably take better than that to move up in standings.

GO Huskies! Let's make a good run here to close out the regular season..

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                    It is certainly a possibility that the Coach is putting pressure on himself and that the players are feeling it.

As to Neville, to me it seems more like he's trying to avoid eye contact with the camera than with the players. I think reading body language is not as straight forward as it seems. If we have 100 people view that clip we might get 100 different takes on what it means.

Short little article on reading body language. #2 and #3 under "Mistakes" might apply here. And hmmm... #1 and #2 under the "Right Signals" are rather interesting as well
                    https://www.dilenschneider.com/files..._31680_web.pdf
                    I think Joe has great potential. He probably feels his own pressure, a hometown UP boy making it as a HC. I saw this same thing with another coach up close.

When I have listened to the JSH show I find he goes back to the past too much, OK fine it's what he knows and that should change going forward. He does seem demanding which is great, I also noticed he criticizes using positive wording meaning he says do it this way instead of don't do this. My concern is to much negative criticism and not enough positive. The claimed ideal ratio is about 6 positive to 1 negative, now hard to tell all that is said as you only see bits and pieces of him talking.

Comment

Baltus out of the line up tonight . Evan Anderson in
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Can't catch a break can we. C'mon boys step it up tonight

Comment

OK, haven't been here in a bit, but that video rustedblades posted, I view that as coaching. Like has been said, he isn't saying you messed up, you did this wrong or that wrong, he's saying what you should do instead. As for his dealing with Auk, I don't see it as much as anger or yelling at him, but wanting him to acknowledge what he is saying and to not hang his head and be down on himself, hold your head high and do it differently next time, everyone screws up and you just learn from it without hanging your head.

As for some of his interviews and shows, I do agree he goes back to the past and mentions old players too much, but I take it more as saying to the team that the players who left left a hole that needs to be filled, full it. I don't think he is saying you are not as good as those guys, just that we lost a known quantity and are not sure who is the next one to fill that role so he is encouraging everyone to fill it.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 and good win tonight.
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Well hats off to the d-corp after the Reinke major. I thought at the beginning of the year losing Hanna, Watson, and Leibinger was going to be extremely tough, but Seamus Donohue has been just amazing all year, tough as Leibinger and showing he knows how to move the puck. Meek as I have said all year looks like Reinke 2.0. He is going to be a very good one. For this next end of the season run, the D looks poised to contribute to a strong run. Auk, I hope is set to play his natural position, he just makes it go back there. Going to be a good game tonight, we need the points....

Comment

I'm on my way to Houghton. Hope to see a strong effort and another W.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

3,781 at the JMSIA last night according to the game sheet. That can't be right, can it? I saw plenty of empty seats in the highlights video, and standing room didn't look crowded at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X