Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Looking forward to making the trip to your rink this weekend! Any recommendations on food and beverage before the game? Even if it's on the way? What's the parking situation?
    You won't have a problem with parking. Good Nature has great beer (http://www.goodnaturebrewing.com/). If there during the day, you can grab deli sandwiches from the Hamilton Eatery (http://hamiltoneatery.com/) and bring them into Good Nature. Ray Brothers BBQ (http://www.raybrothersbbq.com/) is maybe a 5 minute drive outside the village and amazing BBQ. La Iguana has Mexican right in the village (http://www.laiguanarestaurant.com/).

If beer and BBQ isn't your thing...Colgate Inn has more upscale dining (http://www.colgateinn.com/dining).

Enjoy the village and the new rink!

Comment

Watched most of the game on the PL Network stream - Good quality picture though the lighting was a bit darker than I would have expected. Decent cuts to up close but the larger picture camera crew need to learn not to try to follow the puck so much - makes for a jumpy picture.

Game reminded me of why I wasn't sad to see Army leave the ECAC. Almost always a decent team with talent a bit behind Colgate's but too often that difference was overcome by tenacity and a strong ability to commit the first questionable move and draw the penalty that always falls on the second questionable move.

Team did look a bit slow and less than smooth but more in the vein of early season rust than lack of ability. Have to remember that Spinks et.al. came in with 2-3 years or more of experience with each other. Not a common luxury. Hoping for a competitive game with BU and I think that they agreed to a Home and Home tells volumes about the importance of the Riggs Rink/65 Arena.

Comment

With coach not able to participate until Oct 1, I think we find out more about this team this week. BU has something like four first round draft picks, five kids from U-18 team, and the list goes on. It will be interesting to see if we can hang with them. We are a very young team.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          With coach not able to participate until Oct 1,
          Whaa? What is the meaning of this Shabby?
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Pessimist view:

I am not seeing us escape this weekend at home. BU is an absolute bear and dominated the U18 team last night. If we are remotely competitive I will be happy. I am predicting we go down early in the first and we see Finn get pulled after letting 3-4 in. Not sure if he would put Point in for his first game or Hamilton? I hope to be wrong and wouldn't mind being down 1-2 going into the third but BU is a contender right now and we are trending toward the bottom of our league. Best of luck to the team this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
              Whaa? What is the meaning of this Shabby?
              Coaches not allowed to participate until Oct 1, practices run by captains I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by still an empty net View Post
                Pessimist view:

I am not seeing us escape this weekend at home. BU is an absolute bear and dominated the U18 team last night. If we are remotely competitive I will be happy. I am predicting we go down early in the first and we see Finn get pulled after letting 3-4 in. Not sure if he would put Point in for his first game or Hamilton? I hope to be wrong and wouldn't mind being down 1-2 going into the third but BU is a contender right now and we are trending toward the bottom of our league. Best of luck to the team this weekend.
                You would think that scenario might be correct, but, hoping we are competitive. I'd like to see Point play at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by still an empty net View Post
                  Pessimist view:

Should be interesting regardless. The big question for BU is goaltending. I would expect BU to win tonight but certainly not a sure thing. BU has a boatload of talent but they are also the youngest team in D-I. Sometimes a young team takes some time to put it all together.

Comment

Perhaps our most challenging game of the season? Good luck to the guys - hope they can hang in there and get some experience for league play down the road. QU may be a walk in the park after tonight
                    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Coaches not allowed to participate until Oct 1, practices run by captains I believe.
                      The NCAA tweaked the rules this year, allowing something like 2 hours on the ice peer week for the month of September. I don't know the exact details but I heard coach Quinn comment on it in the presser Thursday night.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Since we play Colgate so rarely, I have to post a couple memories, neither of which were good ones for us BU fans.

1990 NCAA semis - in front of what seemed like 1,000 people at Joe Louis, Colgate knocks off a BU team that was really the start of the resurgence featuring Joe Sacco, Shawn McEachern, Mike Sullivan, and dynamic freshman Tony Amonte. McEachern sees his shot with 12 seconds left go off the goalies glove (Gardner? Something like that) and then off the post.

1991 - the very next fall, the pre-season #1 Terriers blow a 5-goal lead at home (also did the same against Michigan) and lose something like 8-6.

Comment

BU has something like four first round draft picks, five kids from U-18 team, and the list goes on. It will be interesting to see if we can hang with them. We are a very young team.
                          The freshmen and sophomore classes are loaded with NHL talent (potential):

1st rounders: Sophomore Charlie McAvoy and Freshmen Clayton Keller, Dante Fabbro, Kieffer Bellows

2nd Rounders: Sophomores Jakob Forsbacka-Karlson (JFK), Jordan Greenway, Freshman Chad Krys

Oh, and there is Freshman Patrick Harper (5th round since he is very short) who has 8 goals in BU's two exhibition games.

Freshman Goalie Jake Oettinger is expected to go in the top two rounds next summer.

There are also several draft picks among the upper classemen (Somerby, McLeod, maybe others)

We are very lucky to have all this talent,, but we also remember Holy Cross knocking off a similarly loaded Minnesota team. So until the actual results roll-in, we are not assuming anything.

Congrats on the new arena.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            McEachern sees his shot with 12 seconds left go off the goalies glove (Gardner? Something like that) and then off the post.
                            Dave Gagnon was the goalie

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              The NCAA tweaked the rules this year, allowing something like 2 hours on the ice peer week for the month of September. I don't know the exact details but I heard coach Quinn comment on it in the presser Thursday night.
                              Here's the bylaws, in case others would like to help out with their interpretation; looks like 17.1 talks about when you're allowed to do things: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D117.pdf

I see you're allowed conditioning and skill instruction once classes start (17.1.7.2); perhaps this is what they're referring to?

Comment

I often wonder if Vaughn ever talks about discipline and taking penalties? I just don't understand why we our always in the box against teams that are better than us.

Overall we had a few chances to score some goals including the penalty shot but just didn't capitalize on our opportunities. Not much else to say about the game besides that. I hope to see Point in net sometime soon. Also did Dauda play that bad the week before that he didn't dress for this game? He came in last year as a highly touted goal scorer?

Comment

Working...
                                X