This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
    It seems to me ending early recruiting would be a good thing for the top programs.

A lot of people think the end of early recruiting in LaCrosse will increase the power of the club coaches.

Here's some opinions from LaCrosse people(early opinions from just after the announcement). The views and opinions expressed in the following are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of me:

4 months ago
    Any parent that thinks this is a great thing for the kids, probably hasnt been through the successful recruiting process with a high level d1 athlete. I would love to see a poll of committed players parents to see if they think this is a benefit. This rule is a win win for the coaches, their money making camps and clinics, and of course all those companies that put on those player showcases. I see the high dollar lax clubs with their paid recruiters having no problem navigating through the new rule and their players will be committed right after Sept 1st of their junior year. There is no benefit to the average laxer on a small indy club, and recruiting just got tougher for them unless they dont care about playing anything but d3.

4 months ago
    You are sooooooooo... correct. Major schools with resources will benefit. The mid majors will suffer. Plus how would like to start a new program under these rules. It will hurt the growth of game. Go find players, player parents (especially those who have to put 2-3+ kids into college) and see how they view this. I would guess these changes are favored by coaches and uslax people who don't have children!

3 months ago
    Could not agree more. And the idea that kids will have more free time is a joke. IF their parents can afford the camps and clinics, all holiday breaks will be spent chasing camps. The IWLCA continues to add more tournaments for freshman. So how is that taking any pressure off kids? This legislation takes all of the risk off of the coaches and now the player assumes all risk by chasing tournaments and camps until junior year without any feedback unless they can pay for it by attending camps.

4 months ago
    A ray of sanity that will primarily benefit kids. Kudos to all involved.

3 months ago
    My son is one of the few early commits. His reaction is that it has taken a lot of pressure off and he can focus on school, enjoy his lacrosse and not worry. I don't think early verbal commitment is for every student-athlete, but the university he made his verbal to at this time is a great fit. He has known what he would like to major in since he was in 4th grade (engineering/building roads or hotels or bridges) and has wanted to play lacrosse in college since 6th grade (he has 4 older brothers - it helps you see yourself doing something similar). Knowing this, he has attended summer lacrosse camp at 3 universities, showcases at half a dozen other and several collegiate games at other campuses. His consistent love of the game and efforts to get better, coupled with athletic ability and support from his older brother that plays helped him make an informed decision.

2 months ago
    My son was an early commit as well and his fit was perfect for him too. He will start college this fall. I have had two other sons that have played DI as well and while they did not commit as early, I didn't see any benefit in their later commitments over our other son's early commitment. Now I have a rising freshmen that would also like to play in college and all I see is $$$ with the prospect camps, club team and showcases he will have to attend.
    Interesting comments with a few valid points. (Full disclosure- I have a verbally committed lacrosse player who committed as a sophomore a few months before the new rules were adopted) Reality is that the truly special elite hockey players who commit to UW or UM in 8th grade or freshman year belong there anyway and have probably dreamed of being a Badger or a Gopher for years. They're not changing their minds.
    But the vast majority of the players, or even just the late bloomers or girls from teams outside the Big Name AAA teams, don't get as much opportunity to see or be seen. Give them some time to grow, develop, go to high school and really decide what's the right path for them. Even the decision between D1 & D3 takes a lot of consideration.
    And, to answer a point from the lacrosse parents who complained about the cost of all the camps, etc for the uncommitted kids...it's the same story for the committed kids. We spent the whole summer on the east coast because, now that he's committed he's expected to be playing at the highest level (and still attending his school's camps) so when he does start college he's ready for D1 level play.
    Committing doesn't mean you hang up your cleats because you're done. It means the expectations just got real. Not to mention- it's a verbal commitment. If the coach changes his mind & pulls the offer you'd better be visible all summer long so other schools can have interest. I'm sure it's the same in hockey.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
      And, to answer a point from the lacrosse parents who complained about the cost of all the camps, etc for the uncommitted kids...it's the same story for the committed kids. We spent the whole summer on the east coast because, now that he's committed he's expected to be playing at the highest level (and still attending his school's camps) so when he does start college he's ready for D1 level play.
      Committing doesn't mean you hang up your cleats because you're done. It means the expectations just got real. Not to mention- it's a verbal commitment. If the coach changes his mind & pulls the offer you'd better be visible all summer long so other schools can have interest. I'm sure it's the same in hockey.
      When I read the point that you are referencing about chasing the camps and tournaments and the "risk" I was thinking just as you mention, that those expectations don't go away just because of an early commitment. Thanks for you input...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Another future recruit today.

Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          Another future recruit today.

Gotta start filling in the D openings.....5-5 at this age, looks like she will be in the upper 5-0 when she hits Madison. Hails from NH, nice to pluck a player from under the noses of the eastern teams.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Gotta start filling in the D openings.....5-5 at this age, looks like she will be in the upper 5-0 when she hits Madison. Hails from NH, nice to pluck a player from under the noses of the eastern teams.
            I'm not sure if you have any daughters, but most girls don't grow much after 14 or 15 years old. ...so don't set your expectations to high.

Comment

One source has Harvey as a Jan 2002 birthdate (I don't think that is accurate) and Neutral Zone has her as a 10-14-2002 birthdate. That seems right for just completing 8th grade and moving to 9th grade this fall.

Wisconsin recruiting...I guess they're killing it, but at this stage who really knows?
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                I'm not sure if you have any daughters, but most girls don't grow much after 14 or 15 years old. ...so don't set your expectations to high.
                I'm only looking for 5-8"......though UW has had plenty of great D under 5-6

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  One source has Harvey as a Jan 2002 birthdate (I don't think that is accurate) and Neutral Zone has her as a 10-14-2002 birthdate. That seems right for just completing 8th grade and moving to 9th grade this fall.

Wisconsin recruiting...I guess they're killing it, but at this stage who really knows?
                  I agree, no one has no clue. MJ is in a tough spot because he can't wait to see how they develop because someone else will get them. I do think taking a D is less risky than taking an F or a G, not that that is stopping him or anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I agree, no one has no clue. MJ is in a tough spot because he can't wait to see how they develop because someone else will get them. I do think taking a D is less risky than taking an F or a G, not that that is stopping him or anyone else.
                    Second commitment from an attendee at last week's UW high school camp. Wonder if anymore announcements are coming...

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                      Second commitment from an attendee at last week's UW high school camp. Wonder if anymore announcements are coming...
                      UW fans can only hope!

Comment

Whatever it is, she won't be putting on the uniform for another 5 years! That's a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                          Whatever it is, she won't be putting on the uniform for another 5 years! That's a bit much.
                          Any news as to when THIS seasons roster will be posted? Or captains named? Believe it or not only 5 weeks until first game!

Comment

Not sure, but I thought I had heard captains were Kepler, Williams and Shaver. I believe they usually post rosters when the girls report back in the fall

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                              Not sure, but I thought I had heard captains were Kepler, Williams and Shaver. I believe they usually post rosters when the girls report back in the fall
                              UW just the released this info- (co-Captains): Wellhausen, Kepler (alternate Captains): Williams, Shaver

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                                UW just the released this info- (co-Captains): Wellhausen, Kepler (alternate Captains): Williams, Shaver
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaSLetEaq8o

Comment

Working...
                                X