Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    You don't suppose that the roads and traffic in Boston have any bearing upon its selection as a FF site? Driving in Boston might not keep first-time visitors away, but after the first time . . .
    Can't agree. I drove to Boston in '98 and flew in '04. In each case the degree of difficulty was a little higher than usual, but nothing I experienced would deter me from going back.

Getting back to Tampa...

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
    ... I thought the city of Tampa did a great job and the facility was superb. Plenty to do around here, nice weather, easy access to roads, bars and restaurants nearby within walking distance from the Forum. I never saw such signage for a Frozen Four like this. I would have no problems coming back and they host again.
    I'd be interested to hear more about this. We were aware of the team-specific HQs, but didn't visit any of them. In hindsight, maybe we should have taken some time to check out each one.

But other than the Team HQs, where did people go? I didn't get the sense that there was "more than usual" right by the arena. But maybe we just didn't know where to go. I should mention that the Hattrick looked great, but unfortunately we didn't find it until late Saturday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by D3 Phan View Post
      Count me as one who stayed away due to the distance to Tampa. I've been to seven FF's, After seeing sell out's become routine, it appears some other fans
      did the same. Bring it back to Milwaukee, St Louis, Columbus, Denver, and give Omaha a try. Why make everyone travel at least 1000 miles?
      You missed out...that was one of the best times I have had period. I would rather go back to Tampa than ever have to suffer through another FF in Columbus let alone go to Milwaukee.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Loved it. My only gripe is about the arena, and that was just that you can't walk around the entire concourse on the second level. Pretty small complaint. That's how much I enjoyed the week.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          You missed out...that was one of the best times I have had period. I would rather go back to Tampa than ever have to suffer through another FF in Columbus let alone go to Milwaukee.
          Bingo.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Since we're naming names, I'd reverse those last two. I had a pretty good time in Milwaukee. I don't remember the name of the place where I stayed, but it was an old place by the water - pretty cool. Found some decent bars, and had a good time at a Brewers game on the off-day. Columbus on the other hand . . .
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              But other than the Team HQs, where did people go?
              We made a trek up to the Pour House on Thursday night after the game. It was a couple of blocks away from the Channelside stuff. Nice bar with a lot of beer on tap and an outdoor courtyard area where we could sit. Not much atmosphere, as it seemed to be entirely locals with the hockey folks sticking down at Channelside.

After that, we were entirely at Channelside. We went to the piano bar Friday night (heard some griping about what they had to do to be the FSU "home bar", I suspect they wouldn't do it again) and the bowling place Saturday night (had an easy time getting a table in the outdoor courtyard area). We ate at Stump's on Friday (nominally the BC home bar but they didn't have any significant BC presence then) and the Thai place on Saturday, both good. We had drinks at Wet Willie's (with a great view of the spray paint artist) and the outdoor place at Channelside in addition to the aforementioned.
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

We've been to every frozen four since Columbus (except Milwaukee) to include the fiasco in Detriot......I was not sure how this FF would go in Tampa. The signage was obvious everywhere and that was quite nice. The arena was good, it sure was nice to have the fan activities out in the plaza area next to the arena. It definitely helped with the pregame ambiance. Beer sales in the plaza pregame and between games on Thursday was a nice plus. We totally stumbled on the beer sales between games and were pleasantly surprised. I hate that we are trapped in the buildings now and aren't allowed to leave and reenter....the fresh air and cold beer helped to ease that feeling of being so caged. The food selection in the arena was a nice change. Some of the past locations were a HUGE disappointment. I agree with the earlier posters that mentioned how easy it was to get to and out of the TB Times Forum....parked directly across the street for $15, easy in and easy out. We enjoyed our visit to Tampa....caught the Rays game on Friday and hit a beach too. That being said we'd come back again but not quite as often as some of the earlier posters are suggesting.... BRAVO TAMPA!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D3 Phan View Post
                  Count me as one who stayed away due to the distance to Tampa. I've been to seven FF's, After seeing sell out's become routine, it appears some other fans
                  did the same. Bring it back to Milwaukee, St Louis, Columbus, Denver, and give Omaha a try. Why make everyone travel at least 1000 miles?
                  The sold more tickets in Tampa than they can in Milwaukee. I love Milwaukee, used to live walking distance from the Bradley and it has a lot to offer. As far as Columbus, if they ever do it there again, it would have to be at Nationwide. There is so much more atmosphere in the surrounding area than the Schott.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I didn't go to Columbus but liked Milwaukee, probably because Maine was there but it was fun even after they lost, Brewers game was fun, liked the area around the Bradley. I think DC was great and I think Tampa was as good as it gets. We went down on the 29th to Orlando and did parks, I love Blizzard Beach. We went to Tampa on Weds and enjoyed our stay there. I didn't even have a beer and still had fun.
                    If you have to fly to get there whats the difference between 500 miles and 1000? Who cares, you either are going or you aren't. We planned this trip as soon as we saw Tampa was going to be a host. I doubt I'm going to Pitt or Philly, I have no real interest in either city. Maine would have to be there to get me to go and thats unlikely
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Flying to Tampa isn't much more burdensome than Boston or Philly. But that's not much comfort to those who must drive, if they are to attend at all.

When the tournament is held within college hockey's natural area, a substantial number of fans will be able to drive. As long as the tournament moves back and forth between East and West, everyone can attend at least some of the time. And those who drive are a great help in filling the arena when they are available.
                      One of the most awesome trips to the FF this year were the 150 fans that took three buses down from Big Rapids, Michigan to see FERRIS STATE almost win its first National Championship (only 26 hours each way!!!). I want to thank the FERRIS STATE administration for their great support.
                      Last edited by hanasoni; 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        ...As far as Columbus, if they ever do it there again, it would have to be at Nationwide. There is so much more atmosphere in the surrounding area than the Schott.
                        This.

And by "atmosphere" he means hotels, restaurants and bars clustered right next to the rink. It's called the Arena District and properly so. The Schott, on the edge of the OSU campus, sits among the various athletic venues as opposed to fan hangouts. The NCAA tried to sell the Schott as a "campus experience." But everybody here gets that the FF community didn't buy into that. If there is another bid it will almost certainly be for Nationwide.

Tampa was a great time, no doubt about it. I would be more than fine with a second tournament in Tampa Bay. But interestingly enough, Florida is willing to receive tourists 52 weeks a year. You can make another trip to Fla. without waiting for another FF.

Some us are getting a little carried away with the tourism factor. I'm bracing myself for the post that argues that the Frozen Four should feature a three city rotation of Tampa, Miami and Anaheim. Tampa was very successful as a non-traditional site. But when choosing where to hold the FF, tourist opportunities should be just one factor among many.

As for the cheap shot about suffering in Columbus, I'll allow that losing to UND must have been tough to take. But as for the rest of the weekend, you have only yourself to blame. While Columbus is not a prime tourist destination, there is plenty to do here over the course of a four day weekend -- as has been the case with every FF site.

Comment

I'm bracing myself for the post that argues that the Frozen Four should feature a three city rotation of Tampa, Miami and Anaheim.
                          That would be more than fine with me. Make the FF like a football Bowl game and have it where the fans can be rewarded for driving in the snow and cold to games every night. Replace Anaheim with New Orleans and you got a deal.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Doing nothing in 80 degree weather is sometimes more fun than doing lots of things in 40 degree weather. Seems to me a lot of folks enjoyed the climate. I certainly did. Throw in the fact that it is less costly to travel to FL than many other destinations and you have a winner.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Agree completely, FiveHole12. My only concern is that Frozen Fours continue to be held in a wide variety of locations, with the entire FF fanbase taken into account over the long run.

Don't know quite what to make of this conversation. Over the years, anyone suggesting non-traditional FF sites on USCHO took a lot of flak. Strange to see the pendulum swing so far in the other direction.

Comment

Agree completely, FiveHole12. My only concern is that Frozen Fours continue to be held in a wide variety of locations, with the entire FF fanbase taken into account over the long run.

Don't know quite what to make of this conversation. Over the years, anyone suggesting non-traditional FF sites on USCHO took a lot of flak. Strange to see the pendulum swing so far in the other direction.
                                I don't think it is strange. We finally got a taste of what it is like to have the Frozen Four in a nice location and we have decided that we like it. Pretty simple actually. Tampa has opened our eyes to what a great experience it can be when we have a warm weather climate area that embraces the Frozen Four and makes it a huge success. And it was a huge sucess. Yeah, it technically wasn't a sellout but pretty close and the 18k+ in attendance is higher than the capacity of some recent FF host arenas. Being able to wear short sleeves and shorts, sit and have a drink and meal outside, beautiful scenery, etc. is just added value as opposed to just going to hockey games and shuffling from indoor bar to indoor bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X