X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Too bad the boys ain't playing this weekend

A couple more wins may help out
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Good stuff. The BU model of recruiting blue chip studs has its pluses and also minuses. Pluses are you get exciting young talent. Minuses are you get exciting young talent. The players are usually coming onto campus on time (imagine that compared to 21 year old freshman), that means the players are young and going to make mistakes as they mature. Ups and downs are expected. Ideally, you get a mix of young studs and older leadership players but that is increasingly difficult to achieve with players leaving early. The model BU has just needs some fine tuning. Regarding being enthusiastic behind the bench - I think Quinn is patient and realistic. He know the team is young and what to expect. He is steady rather than up and down and thats something young players need.
      IMO Quinn's demeanor behind the bench is intentional for the exact reasons cited. He likely projects a lot more emotion during practices and team video sessions; but like a TV/movie director, once it's "lights, camera, action", he doesn't want to impede the team's execution (even when flawed).

I totally get that when many of us grew accustomed to Parker's fire behind the bench as well as his ability to make in-game adjustments, a different coaching style despite coming from the same coaching tree will be scrutinized if results aren't met.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
        IMO Quinn's demeanor behind the bench is intentional for the exact reasons cited. He likely projects a lot more emotion during practices and team video sessions; but like a TV/movie director, once it's "lights, camera, action", he doesn't want to impede the team's execution (even when flawed).

I totally get that when many of us grew accustomed to Parker's fire behind the bench as well as his ability to make in-game adjustments, a different coaching style despite coming from the same coaching tree will be scrutinized if results aren't met.
        It's also not his personality to be that way.

So, BU's Spring Break is next week, which means no-to-miniscule student section at next weekend's games. Just getting this into the discussion now so everyone can start whining about why these games are played over break even though it happens every year to most every school.
        Last edited by Scarlet; 03-01-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          So, BU's Spring Break is next week, which means no-to-miniscule student section at next weekend's games. Just getting this into the discussion now so everyone can start whining about why these games are played over break even though it happens every year to most every school.
          Why do they have to play these games over the break?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Too bad the boys ain't playing this weekend

A couple more wins may help out
            Help out with what exactly?

It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

He's probably thinking the PairWise. Currently BU is 19th. I'm not going to even begin to go through scenarios, but I believe his point is if there were two games this weekend, then two more next weekend and then the HE semi-finals, that's five more possible wins (as opposed to a maximum of three now) that, even if BU lost the championship game (and thus didn't receive the auto-bid), they may still have an outside shot at the NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                He's probably thinking the PairWise. Currently BU is 19th. I'm not going to even begin to go through scenarios, but I believe his point is if there were two games this weekend, then two more next weekend and then the HE semi-finals, that's five more possible wins (as opposed to a maximum of three now) that, even if BU lost the championship game (and thus didn't receive the auto-bid), they may still have an outside shot at the NCAAs.
                I know. Just having fun, 'cause...

https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE?t=14s
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I know. Just having fun, 'cause...

https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE?t=14s
                  Got it! (but there's always hope...)

Comment

So, Jim Connelly has Chad Krys as 1st Team All HE. What you think?
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Had BU won last Saturday rather than tied, would that have made any difference in where they currently are and what needs to happen over the next few weeks with regards to that small sliver of hope of making the NCAA?? I'm still thinking the OT loss to UConn is the one game they're going to regret.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          So, Jim Connelly has Chad Krys as 1st Team All HE. What you think?
                          I saw that. To me, he was a bigger defensive liability compared to most of the rest of the D corps. His passes always manage to find a stick.... on the wrong team.

I think he's a fine player. Not 1st Team All HE though. Maybe he meant Fabbro instead... I think he's been fantastic.
                          Last edited by joen05; 03-01-2018, 02:52 PM. Reason: incorrect tense.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                            I saw that. To me, he was a bigger defensive liability compared to most of the rest of the D corps. His passes always manage to find a stick.... on the wrong team.

I think he's a fine player. Not 1st Team All HE though. Maybe he meant Fabbro instead... I think he's been fantastic.
                            Krys is very skilled, but hockey sense leaves something to be desired. I think at age 15-16 he was a notch above all other D-men in his age group, but he hasn't developed as much since (starting with his year at the USNTDP U-18 team) while others have caught up and even surpassed him.

The Chad Krys turnover that is a microcosm of his play this season is his turnover during the 2nd BC game that resulted in a BC SHG. IIRC it was a botched spin-o-rama entering the BC blue line that turned into an odd-man rush for BC -> SHG.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Had BU won last Saturday rather than tied, would that have made any difference in where they currently are and what needs to happen over the next few weeks with regards to that small sliver of hope of making the NCAA?? I'm still thinking the OT loss to UConn is the one game they're going to regret.
                              The ties vs. UMASS and UVM, and the L @ UCONN is what ultimately costs them any chance at an at-large tourney bid. Those are 3 games they very much should have won; it would've resulted in a 20-12-2 reg. season record and very likely somewhere around 13th-15th in the PWR based on my guesstimation.

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post

I have noticed that quite literally every single shot he takes from the blue line ends up getting blocked and bouncing straight out of the zone. He just flat out refuses to adjust. Time after time after time, with the same result every time. It is really astonishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X