Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    My Swedish guy uses Heritage instead of Ancestry. Not sure if that is maybe more popular there. My GGF changed his name when he moved here and his relatives did too. What a mess. I let the Swede do all the work and just tag a long.
    I have found plenty of name changing, but it hasn't slowed me too much in Sweden. The records are so good in Sweden that I can usually find the right people even with the name change.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was told do not marry a Catholic
      Seriously?

This, to me, is on par with saying "I treat my gout with leeches." It's time travel.

Is this stuff really alive out there someplace? I know the hemlines change in different places at different rates -- the phobes haven't even made it to 1975 in the civilized world yet -- but "don't marry a Catholic" seems out of place to me for any spot in the US after, say, the Garfield assassination.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Seriously?

This, to me, is on par with saying "I treat my gout with leeches." It's time travel.

Is this stuff really alive out there someplace? I know the hemlines change in different places at different rates -- the phobes haven't even made it to 1975 in the civilized world yet -- but "don't marry a Catholic" seems out of place to me for any spot in the US after, say, the Garfield assassination.
        To be fair, les just within the last year.

ETA: Though, I guess I should also mention that when my mom met my prom date I was told that she's nice, but I couldn't ever marry her. She was Korean, and a blended family like that wouldn't fit into anywhere in society. My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.
        Last edited by St. Clown; 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Seriously?

Have you been to a full Catholic wedding? I wouldn't want to sit through that either.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Have you been to a full Catholic wedding? I wouldn't want to sit through that either.
            About 60 minutes, roughly the same length as a standard Catholic Mass.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              About 60 minutes, roughly the same length as a standard Catholic Mass.
              I wouldn't want to go to a Catholic Mass either. Yuck.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I wouldn't want to go to a Catholic Mass either. Yuck.
                It depends upon the priest. I sat through too many over the past five months, hopping between a few locations. The good priests get things rolling and can keep you engaged with their homily. The bad ones make it feel like a two-hour Mass.

Comment

It depends upon the priest. I sat through too many over the past five months, hopping between a few locations. The good priests get things rolling and can keep you engaged with their homily. The bad ones make it feel like a two-hour Mass.
                  Did it for 18 years, and agree with this.

Comment

To be fair, les just within the last year.

ETA: Though, I guess I should also mention that when my mom met my prom date I was told that she's nice, but I couldn't ever marry her. She was Korean, and a blended family like that wouldn't fit into anywhere in society. My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.

Western PA is the Pitts (burgh).
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.
                      No need. My Mom was born before the Great Depression in western PA and grew up there. I have relatives who still drop the n bomb in casual conversation, not for effect but just cuz that's how they talk. They say "kike," too.

They seem nice.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Seriously?

1985. I was called down to my grandmother's house on the Cape. mr les was told there was a nice chair in the back yard, under the trees, where she was sure he would be comfortable. I was regaled with what my life would be like if I went forward with it. mum les didn't really care who it was. She just didn't want me to be married. She would tell me she didn't want me to be like my Auntie (who stayed with her mum but was secretly partnered with her roommate) and I needed to move out but then have full blown hysterics any time I tried.

Comment

1985. I was called down to my grandmother's house on the Cape. mr les was told there was a nice chair in the back yard, under the trees, where she was sure he would be comfortable. I was regaled with what my life would be like if I went forward with it. mum les didn't really care who it was. She just didn't want me to be married. She would tell me she didn't want me to be like my Auntie (who stayed with her mum but was secretly partnered with her roommate) and I needed to move out but then have full blown hysterics any time I tried.
                          Was it "your children will go to hell" or "you'll be forced take part in Papist devil worship" or what? I'm fascinated.

Driving across country in 2003, Dr. Mrs. and I picked up a radio show outside of Salt Lake where the topic was friendships in elementary school. The extremely nice speaker (also a local teacher) said that while it was fine to associate with non-Mormons, becoming friends with them was a waste of time because "trees cannot root if their seed is sprinkled on rocks." At first Dr. Mrs. & I assumed we were misunderstanding and the lesson was about older kids having romantic relations which would threaten marriage outside LDS but no, the guy was talking about when you're 8 or 9 who you should be playing catch with. He talked like Mr. Rogers. It was one of the most chilling things I ever heard.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Was it "your children will go to hell" or "you'll be forced take part in Papist devil worship" or what? I'm fascinated.

Driving across country in 2003, Dr. Mrs. and I picked up a radio show outside of Salt Lake where the topic was friendships in elementary school. The extremely nice speaker (also a local teacher) said that while it was fine to associate with non-Mormons, becoming friends with them was a waste of time because "trees cannot root if their seed is sprinkled on rocks." At first Dr. Mrs. & I assumed we were misunderstanding and the lesson was about older kids having romantic relations which would threaten marriage outside LDS but no, the guy was talking about when you're 8 or 9 who you should be playing catch with. He talked like Mr. Rogers. It was one of the most chilling things I ever heard.
                            I would have all sorts of problems because I would be excluded from everything, not being a Catholic. (I wasn 't churched at all). The Priest refused me communion and also gave me a lecture about how the Pope was on his knees praying for people like me so...

Comment

I would have all sorts of problems because I would be excluded from everything, not being a Catholic. (I wasn 't churched at all). The Priest refused me communion and also gave me a lecture about how the Pope was on his knees praying for people like me so...
                              My dad did RCIA before he married mom in '83, and I've always wondered if he was shamed into it, or did it on his own accord. He still has some rebel-ish views. I'll never forget when I said something about the concept of predestination, and he announced, "Oh, I've always believed in predestination." He was raised Methodist. Explains a lot.

Regardless, his parents never had any ill will towards his conversion. TBH, it's only in the past 5 years that they've started attending church regularly again. Awareness of approaching death, go figure.

Comment

Oh, so this was the Catholics telling you not to marry into a Catholic family? I have never heard of that. I have only heard of people begging their relatives not to marry outside their particular flavor cult. But never "we don't want you!" That's even weirder. In all honesty it doesn't sound Catholic at all, either. The Church really gets off on assimilating non-Catholics. It's kinda the Jesus Borg.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X