Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIII - "Pay" Up Pompey?

In news I approve of: NBC picks up the Premier League.

Fox Soccer keeps losing properties. Time for them to pick up Bundesliga
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      If one only watched MLS on Sunday's you might think there are only 4 teams in the league - RSL, Seattle, Vancouver and LA.
      Well, they're the 4 that matter...
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Well, they're the 4 that matter...
        The Red Bulls certainly aren't.

Watch the mothership bury the Prem in rundowns.
        Last edited by MountieBoyOz; 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          Watch the mothership bury the Prem in rundowns.
          Inevitable.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Scotland fires their coach.

I guess the Scots are just up the creek. Their national team just cannot piece it together, and they recycle coaches that just cannot seem to succeed at this level. The real shame is that Scotland just has no talented managers to choose fr- oh, wait a minute...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Scotland fires their coach.

I guess the Scots are just up the creek. Their national team just cannot piece it together, and they recycle coaches that just cannot seem to succeed at this level. The real shame is that Scotland just has no talented managers to choose fr- oh, wait a minute...
              I think their main problem is the lack of quality players. Scotland is a pale shadow of what they used to be. Wish it was otherwise.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I think Bob nailed it. Outside of the Fletchers and maybe James Morrison, there's not a whole lot of class there. But still, there's some decent young talent there, and if Jordan Rhodes turns out to be as good as some are predicting (and 7 goals in 12 matches in the Championship so far this year have to be seen as at least somewhat encouraging on that front), that would be big for them. IMO Hanley will turn out to be really good too.

Speaking of which, who the heck is Charlie Austin? I've literally never heard his name before I saw it on Wikipedia just now, but he's got 16 goals in 13 league matches for Burnley so far this season.

Edit to add: That group is tougher than people realize too. Belgium has a TON of really talented players in their early-mid 20s. Croatia is solid too. I don't know if ENGLAND would advance from that group, never mind Scotland.
                Last edited by jmh; 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Philadelphia Union (motto: never the same lineup twice in a row!) have now progressed to the point they are having open tryouts for the team. MLS Playoffs in 2010, your Uncle Pete in the top 11 in 2013!!!

They did get rid of Nowak during this year and they appear ready to send Freddy Adu on his way. But the new manager, Hackworth got in the habit of sending out boo-hoo emails to explain why they lost games. Essentially they were a list of whinings about referees, injuries and weather.

The emails include why so and so couldn't play due to a sore ankle, who was sick, why the PK call was incorrect etc.

That was the last straw for me.

I can understand some ups and downs but when they start spending time on excusing away their shortcomings, I don't respect that.

So, after being part of the original letter writing campaign to get a team, after joining the supporters a year before the team played a game and after being a season ticket holder since the first day you could buy them, we've dropped the season tix.

Sad but necessary to let them know they can't mis-manage the trust and faith as they have for the last year.

We may go to a game once in a while but after going to every home game since day 1 it became more frustrating than anything else...the record wasn't the issue...they lost when they joined the league.

The real reasons for this year's performance, their reaction to the results and the focus on everything but the on-field product don't bode well for the future.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                    Philadelphia Union (motto: never the same lineup twice in a row!) have now progressed to the point they are having open tryouts for the team. MLS Playoffs in 2010, your Uncle Pete in the top 11 in 2013!!!

They did get rid of Nowak during this year and they appear ready to send Freddy Adu on his way. But the new manager, Hackworth got in the habit of sending out boo-hoo emails to explain why they lost games. Essentially they were a list of whinings about referees, injuries and weather.

The emails include why so and so couldn't play due to a sore ankle, who was sick, why the PK call was incorrect etc.

That was the last straw for me.

I can understand some ups and downs but when they start spending time on excusing away their shortcomings, I don't respect that.

So, after being part of the original letter writing campaign to get a team, after joining the supporters a year before the team played a game and after being a season ticket holder since the first day you could buy them, we've dropped the season tix.

Sad but necessary to let them know they can't mis-manage the trust and faith as they have for the last year.

We may go to a game once in a while but after going to every home game since day 1 it became more frustrating than anything else...the record wasn't the issue...they lost when they joined the league.

The real reasons for this year's performance, their reaction to the results and the focus on everything but the on-field product don't bode well for the future.
                    So when do Philly fans blame this all on Andy Reid like they blame everything else on him?

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Both top seeds out in the MLS Playoffs, LA beats San Jose, Houston beats SKC.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

A bit late to post, Celtic beat Barcelona in Champions League play!

They only need a draw against Benfica in the next round to advance to the knockout rounds, if I am not mistaken.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          A bit late to post, Celtic beat Barcelona in Champions League play!

They only need a draw against Benfica in the next round to advance to the knockout rounds, if I am not mistaken.
                          I'm not sure that actually happened(woo hoo!)

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I did want to comment on the trouble with Scotland. The 70s and 80s teams were great, but this generation doesn't have many McClintocks, Sounesses or Daglishes around. There are some decent players, but they can't compete at the Euro level. It also doesn't help that they haven't found a good coach in a long time. I do think that Rangers getting sent to the Third Division because they are going to have to build homegrown Scottish talent. Maybe they can foster some younger players that will get better with time. Here's hoping they can get back to competitive because hearing the Tartan Army at a major event is awesome.

Comment

After last year it's good the MLS Playoffs have reverted back to full wackiness.

Conference Finals are set, two leg series, both games on Sunday and Sunday the 18th.

DC vs Houston
                              Seattle vs LA
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

In case there was any doubt that Hope Solo looks like she is the "bat-**** crazy" type of girl... I present Evidence B.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4454--nfl.html

Comment

Working...
                                X