This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Kudos to Robert Morris bringing out their band in full force. That and their fans almost fully filled one whole section. Granted, one of their players is from Middleton, but it was still impressive. I don't remember any other team that has done that. Also liked the blue jerseys that seemingly all their fans were wearing. Had they put up the early goal, it would have been a very interesting environment at LaBahn.

With the notable exception of giving up the early goal, RMU played decently in the first. However, the Badger depth was again on display in the 2nd period and ended any potential drama that may have been. While there is a small part of me that wanted to see a more competitive quarterfinal, I didn't want any chance of a monumental upset. It was tough seeing those seniors skate off the ice for the last time at LaBahn.

I'm hoping that maybe one of the Unions on campus will stream the Friday game on a big screen. Looking forward to when the Big Ten Network broadcasts all the Frozen Four games. The NCAA broadcasts have been comically poor the last few years.

Huge weekend of Badger sports coming up. With that said, women's hockey stands the best chance to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Visitor band update: real live RMU band has arrived.

https://***********/RMUWHockey/statu...23794461016064
      Thanks for the tweet link, it was neat to go through it and read how excited they were about the game, their first ncaa tourney game.

At least they had the devotion to the team to send their real band and they even had their mascot guy running around. Too bad I didn't see Bucky in the concourse, that would have been fun to see the 2 mascots to some fun stuff together. They also had a very nice showing of fans at the games, more than I can recall for Harvard, BU and Mercyhurst. Overall I thought the UW crowd was a little flat, even after UW scored the 2 goals, one could relax a little, but they weren't really into the game.

I was shocked but a happy to see wcha refs Ludwig and Paskey, they missed some stuff, but we're used to that I guess. I was concerned refs from another league would call a tick tacky game and make it more special teams orientated, which would negate UW's depth and hurt the flow of the game. RM also had a pretty good pp, which was worrisome if they popped a couple PPG's and Dodd was en fuego, it might have turned out differently.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I think the key for the upcoming game is the first period. MJ said in the presser it's one thing to see what a new opponent does on film, it's another to see it on the ice, referring to the first period of the Bob Morris game.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I was shocked but a happy to see wcha refs Ludwig and Paskey, they missed some stuff, but we're used to that I guess. I was concerned refs from another league would call a tick tacky game and make it more special teams orientated, which would negate UW's depth and hurt the flow of the game.
          When the NC$$ screws with bracket integrity to the point where they will even avoid bus trips if possible, did you really think that they would fly in refs from another conference?

Heck, they probably assign refs by searching for the 2 people who live closest to the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            When the NC$$ screws with bracket integrity to the point where they will even avoid bus trips if possible, did you really think that they would fly in refs from another conference?

Heck, they probably assign refs by searching for the 2 people who live closest to the arena.
            Good point. The linesmen weren't the usual UW ones they always have, but maybe the regular UW linesmen were asking for too much coin. So what you are saying is the refs at the FF will be CHA refs...

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Good point. The linesmen weren't the usual UW ones they always have, but maybe the regular UW linesmen were asking for too much coin. So what you are saying is the refs at the FF will be CHA refs...
              HEA will do CCT-UM
              ECAC will do Wisc-BC

Semifinal results will determine who does the final.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You know the words, say them with me.....it's a great day for hockey! Making the FF in my mind is the goal of every season, so to me this year has been a tremendous success. On Wisconsin and Forever Forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  You know the words, say them with me.....it's a great day for hockey! Making the FF in my mind is the goal of every season, so to me this year has been a tremendous success. On Wisconsin and Forever Forward!
                  You say that but if your being honest the expectation has to be National Title with this squad. Minnesota is not the team they have been the last few years. BC isn't what they were last year, Clarkson? Wisconsin beat them on the road earlier in the season so as much as it has been a "tremendous success" so far, it will feel like a bust, so to speak, to not win with this team.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    You say that but if your being honest the expectation has to be National Title with this squad. Minnesota is not the team they have been the last few years. BC isn't what they were last year, Clarkson? Wisconsin beat them on the road earlier in the season so as much as it has been a "tremendous success" so far, it will feel like a bust, so to speak, to not win with this team.
                    My viewpoint was from a going into the season viewpoint. In single game elimination situations, anything can happen and I accept that, and have been through some very tough losses that one would not expect, that's hockey. If Burt or Peters pulls a Raty or if UW falls apart like UM did in the 8-3 loss to UW, a loss would sting with this talent, but that's how the game works. I'd still be happy with the FF run and conference championships. If UW lost in a best of 3 or 5 I'd be inclined to call it a bust, but not in single loss elimination format.

Comment

I would never consider a season a bust for the Gophers if they made it to the FF but still lost. I agree that getting there is the goal to every season. Winning the conference and tournament championships are nice, but being in the FF is better. That doesn't mean that once there that losing doesn't sting. Losing in 2014 stings by far the most because I still think that the Gophers were the best team in the country that year. But in one game anything can happen and anyone there can win.

The 2006 FF still stings a little, but not nearly as much as 2014 because going in I thought the championship game would be NH and Wisconsin. Then along came Bobbi Ross! Two days later Wisconsin showed everyone in Mariucci that they were the best team in the country. Sting yes, bust for the Gopher season, no way.
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

What a game. After the first 10 minutes I was very worried BC's speed was going to give UW tons of problems, but then UW stepped up their play and BC just couldn't sustain that pace. It sure looked like one of those games where BC could steal the win despite being outplayed, but the seeing eye shot from the point that I feared from BC ended up being one for UW. I'll take it for sure. Am I glad Clarkson beat UM? Heck yeah. The rodents are hard to beat, I like UW's chances against Clarkson more. Clarkson sure had 2 beauty top shelf goals. The UW D can't give any space to the attackers like that, gotta rub them out.

Tickets are bought and the hotel room is reserved. It's going to be a fun road trip for sure.

Comment

One big issue of having to work normal hours yesterday and not being able to record the game, is that I was at the mercy of real time. By the time I was actually able to fire up the NCAA stream, it was 10 minutes into the 2nd period. So while I read via Twitter that BC controlled play early, the Badgers had turned momentum and had a high majority of quality scoring chances for the remainder of the game. Thank goodness I didn't watch that misplay by Desbiens live. I might have had a mini-stroke.

With that said, BC was doing exactly what it took to spring the upset. They were getting great goaltending (which is absolutely mandatory) and getting the puck out of their zone on a timely basis. As the minutes kept winding down, I just kept thinking all it would take would be one defensive breakdown and/or bad bounce for Wisconsin to lose. However, I also had some faith that the continued pressure would finally pay off.

I was mentally preparing for overtime when Channell put that rather innocent looking shot through all the traffic and into the net. Even she admitted that she was just trying to set something up for a rebound attempt. It was nice to see her score the winning goal after being victimized last year by coughing up the puck in OT against Minnesota. You could see in the footage that there was a lot of emotion by the seniors in the locker room after the game in getting over this semifinal hump.

It really would have been nice if the NCAA would have kept coverage going for more than about 60 seconds after the game-winner. The Badgers were barely out celebrating with Desbiens with more than 15 seconds before the feed went dead and got the screen shot of "Your Event has been completed" or something like that. That combined with zero intermission analysis (or anything) makes me think the NCAA is almost intentionally providing the least amount of coverage possible and yet say they were showing the game. Thank God that the Big Ten Network is picking up things from here on out. Though I can only assume that the broadcast will feature at least one former Gopher coach and/or player.

Didn't watch a minute of Minnesota/Clarkson. I'm always surprised when I see teams put up multiple goals against Minnesota. Whenever I watch the Badgers/Gophers live (especially over the last few years), the Gopher goalies are standing on their heads and the team is playing lock-down defense. I know Clarkson is very good, but seeing a 4-3 final was very surprising.

Comment

2016-2017 WCHA Regular Season Title: Check

2016-2017 WCHA Tournament Title: Check

20016-2017 Frozen Four Appearance: Check

2016-2017 Frozen Four Semi-Final Victory: Check

2016-2017 Patty Kazmaier Trophy for Ann-Renee Desbiens: Check

2016-2017 National Championship: TBD

Have some Badger basketball and men's hockey to concentrate on over the next 9-10 hours or so and then it's go time.

Comment

Once again, "It's a Great Day for Hockey"

After a wild last 24 hours of Badger sports, we are now at the most important game of the weekend. There is nothing quite as exciting/nerve-wracking as a team you follow (regardless of sport/level) plays for a national title.

ON WISCONSIN!

Comment

I realize that the broadcast is a big ten network but did the announcer really just say, "we don't see any quite in these Clarkson players"? Cmon.....

Comment

Working...
                                X